The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 12, 2019, 05:01 PM   #1
riffraff

Anyone have an opinion on the Magpul AR10 M118 versus standard mags?

I'm going to be ordering a bunch of mags and every time I buy AR10 mags I go through this head scratching over whether to get the M118 or the standard Gen M3 (I like the 25 round Gen M3's with the windows). Both seem to operate the same (and it's *very* hard to even see the difference) but I wonder if some day I'll find I like one over the other.

I do not run anything special for ammo and probably will never in these 25 round versions, so don't really need the space for over-length ammo but then it doesn't seem to hurt anything either. Here is what Magpul says - just wondering if anyone has ever noticed a difference between the two.

The 7.62x51 PMAG 25 M118 LR/SR GEN M3 is specifically designed for SR25/M110 pattern rifles using longer than SAAMI-spec match ammunition up to 2.830" OAL*.
Old February 15, 2019, 09:43 AM   #2
ed308

Unless you are reloading ammo with a longer OAL than 2.80 and what the standard mag can handle, don't think you'll see any benefit.