The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2018, 09:34 AM   #1
gdcpony

11-87 vs SA20

These are the two in my sights. I am going to buy one of them in the next month. Just trying to get input as to which one. I know we all have our favorites, but I need input as to reasons behind such. Not simply it is what I have used always or the other sucks.

This will be an all purpose shotgun. everything from trying to blast flying clays to killing deer. I hunt predators and squirrel as well. I might even try a 3 gun shoot or two. And who knows, I have never hunted a bird in my life and have people who want em to try it too.Both fit my budget as well.

I will be loading for 20ga as I have four in my house for my kids (2x Moss 500, 1 H&R Ultraslugger, and a Charles Daly semiauto I picked up from a pawn shop for my son). The wifey wants a 20 ga as well, but in a pump and is picking up a Stevens because she likes the "muddy girl" one from wally world. Not my choice there.

I have heard the loading sequence of the SA20 sucks. However, I have heard this has changed since they were introduced. Also there is no slug barrel option for this shotgun. Anyone found any different? The gun is light and is renowned for not kicking (call me a wuss, but this is a big factor for me).

For the 1187, I have heard about failure to cycle and O ring replacements, and being heavier both in recoil and weight. But I can pick up a slug barrel (or a field barrel if I get the slug gun) for it and throw my usual scope on it (KonusPro 7249's are on 6 guns now in my house).

I have yet to shoot either of these. I have shot the CD I got my son and loved everything but the short stock it had. I prefer a 24-26" barrel for field due to the thick crap I hunt in.

Hopefully, this gives you an idea fo what I am looking for and you guys can advise me. I might own a few, but I am still a shotgun newbie.
Old January 16, 2018, 05:38 PM   #2
rock185

Hello gdc, I can only share an impression of the 11-87 in general, not the specific model you're considering. My only 11-87 experience with an 11-87 police model that I have owned for years. I have never needed to replace an O-ring or anything else, and the gun has never malfunctioned.

I have no experience with the SA20, but if it performs as well as the Mossberg 590 pump I had, I'd expect it to be a dependable shotgun.

BTW, I'm a wuss too when it comes to shotgun recoil. I'm not into pain
Old January 16, 2018, 10:18 PM   #3
sils79

my opinion

I picked up an 11-87 a couple years ago specifically for waterfowl. I didn't want to drop a load on a 3.5 inch chamber and picked up a nice 80's model 11-87 for about $400 even. I bought a bag full of o-rings for about $5 and have only replaced the one, but I have about 20 year's worth if I replace them every year. I keep it clean and it works. It is so easy to shoot, I picked it up and started killing birds, course I grew up on an 870 and it points pretty much exactly the same, just softer shooting. For my money, it was fantastic value.

Get your wife a semi auto, they shoot softer and she will want to shoot more, just get a wrap from mossy oak and she can have the whole damn thing in camo pink.

Mossyoak
Old January 17, 2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Fishbed77

I've been shooting clays and hunting doves with an 11-87 Premiere Light Contour since 1993 and have never once replaced its O-ring.
Old January 17, 2018, 05:49 PM   #5
stuckinthe60s

id stay away from the sa20. I helped a guy find out why his gun was shooting 2 feet right. his choke was bored into the muzzle non-concentric. gun was brand new. warranty wasn't honored.
stay with a known performer....11-87.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner

Last edited by stuckinthe60s; January 17, 2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old January 25, 2018, 02:21 AM   #6
globemaster3

I own a few 11-87 20 gauges for the kids. I will say that brand new, the actions were a bit stiff and trap/skeet loads did not cycle reliably. Never a failure with hunting loads. Once they got broke in, things improved with the lighter loads.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old January 25, 2018, 06:16 AM   #7
darkgael

The one thing that i did not like about the 11-87 was the weight....over 8 lbs. The SA20 is around 6lbs.
Remington, however, offers a “compact” version with an adjustable LOP that is as light or lighter than the Mossberg.
Old January 25, 2018, 09:08 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
The one thing that i did not like about the 11-87 was the weight....over 8 lbs.
That's what makes the Light Contour 11-87 models delightful guns to shoot and carry. Why Remington discontinued them is a mystery to me.
Old January 25, 2018, 07:29 PM   #9
Virginian

A 20 gauge 11-87 does not weigh over 8 pounds. More like 7 to 7-1/4.
Old January 25, 2018, 07:42 PM   #10
FITASC

More weight equals less recoil from the same load. Proper fit reduces felt recoil, aka "kick".
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 26, 2018, 06:33 AM   #11
darkgael

Quote:
A 20 gauge 11-87 does not weigh over 8 pounds. More like 7 to 7-1/4.
Correct. I was in error there, having looked at the 12 gauge.

Quote:
More weight equals less recoil.....
True. Hunting the hilly uplands of North Mt. in Pennsylvania, though, more weight equals more work. I will stick with my old Model 59 Winchester or a Franchi AL-48.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; January 26, 2018 at 06:44 AM.