The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 20, 2020, 06:36 PM   #1
DirtyHarold

Revolver Hunters: What do you use?

Hey friends,

I hunt Whitetail every year in Michigan's lower peninsula and I'm looking to get a good hunting revolver. Those of you who hunt with revolver, whats your setup?

Currently I'm pondering the idea of a 6" .357 GP100, and I've been talking with Gemini Customs about action tuning, target crown and end shake reduction. I'm open to other ideas. What do you guys and gals think? I already own a 7.5" 44 mag that I am not so accurate with, but I own a 4" GP already that I can shoot very well, which is why I like the idea of another 357. I figured the 6" would be good for some added velocity and longer sight radius (although I would likely end up with a scope anyway).

I haven't completely ruled out a 686 but I bought a S&W revolver about a year ago that had to make several trips in for repairs so I am somewhat leery to buy another Smith... The new Python seems like it would be a good contender but those also seem to have some quality issues going on.

Thanks for your input!
Old January 20, 2020, 06:56 PM   #2
TBM900

Wiley Clapp GP100 3"
Remington 158gr SJHP

Same load I use in my 357 long guns for hunting
Old January 20, 2020, 07:10 PM   #3
darkgael

practice

You already have the gun....that 7.5 inch .44. I suggest that you spend the money on ammo and practice until you are accurate with the gun as opposed to buying a new gun. (unless you just want a new gun).
Old January 20, 2020, 07:19 PM   #4
Capt Rick Hiott

Ive been shooting a Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull for about 10 years. Have put down plenty of hogs and deer out to 100 yards with no problem. It has a nice Leuplod scope on it. Went through plenty of cheap scopes that just wouldn't hold up to the big Bull.
Just bought a new Taurus Raging Hunter .44mag and put a nice AimPoint red dot scope on it about 2 months ago. Its still a virgin.
I also have a S&W Performance Center 8 shot .357 mag that I just shot my first deer with this season. It also has a AimPoint scope on it.
To me,,If your gonna shoot a .357 mag,,,,GET CLOSE! Like within 30 -40 yards.

The best advice I can give you is if your gonna hunt with a handgun,,,buy the largest caliber that you are comfortable shooting and shoot it a lot!!! Find out what ammo is most accurate and keep shooting!!! I would stay away from hollow points for hogs (I don't like them for deer either)

And have fun!!!!!!

Here is a good book from Max Prasac that you should get. It has a ton of good information about handgun hunting.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Bore-Revo...9565538&sr=8-3
Old January 20, 2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Pahoo

Lots of great choices. ..

In the past, I have used a GP-100, Super-redhawk and Super Blackhwak. Have also used a TC-Super-14, in .44 and 30/30. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old January 20, 2020, 07:47 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

I've shot well over sixty deer with the .357mag over the last forty years (and a bunch more with other handguns/cartridges). My favorite is the SW 686/686+ using a Hornady XTP 158g and WW296 powder. I'd simply suggest putting a red dot on your 4" .357 and using that unless you just want a new gun. Keep all your shots at deer within a range where you can put all shots in a six inch circle and pass on any "iffy" shots. I have yet to lose one shot with the .357mag. If you're in the kill area you'll get the deer.
Old January 20, 2020, 08:25 PM   #7
Siggy-06

Give the Ruger Blackhawks a look of you'd like to try a nice single action. You can find scope rails that'll replace the rear sight, and trigger jobs/spring changes are simple enough.
Old January 20, 2020, 08:40 PM   #8
44caliberkid

Originally I used a S&W Model 28, 6 inch barrel, 357, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum. But I have used a Taurus Raging Bull, 44 Magnum, 8 3/8 barrel, with a 2X scope for the last 20 years.
Old January 20, 2020, 08:50 PM   #9
USSR

Killed several deer with the .357 Magnum, and not impressed. Now the .45 Colt on the other hand, puts them down with authority!

Don
Old January 20, 2020, 08:52 PM   #10
paknheat

Right now I’m using a 7.5” Ruger
Blackhawk in .41 mag. I handload either the 210gn Hornady xtp or the 210 gn deep curl from Speer.

It kills everything I point it at dead enough to keep me happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old January 20, 2020, 09:22 PM   #11
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarold View Post
Hey friends,

I hunt Whitetail every year in Michigan's lower peninsula and I'm looking to get a good hunting revolver. Those of you who hunt with revolver, whats your setup?

Currently I'm pondering the idea of a 6" .357 GP100, and I've been talking with Gemini Customs about action tuning, target crown and end shake reduction. I'm open to other ideas. What do you guys and gals think? I already own a 7.5" 44 mag that I am not so accurate with, but I own a 4" GP already that I can shoot very well, which is why I like the idea of another 357. I figured the 6" would be good for some added velocity and longer sight radius (although I would likely end up with a scope anyway).

I haven't completely ruled out a 686 but I bought a S&W revolver about a year ago that had to make several trips in for repairs so I am somewhat leery to buy another Smith... The new Python seems like it would be a good contender but those also seem to have some quality issues going on.

Thanks for your input!

Your 7.5” 44 Magnum sounds like the best choice.

I have a 7.5” 44 Magnum and a 454 Casull. I also have a 9.5” 44 Magnum and an 8 3/8” S&W 460 XVR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old January 21, 2020, 12:00 AM   #12
Ridgerunner665

41 magnum, 6.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old January 21, 2020, 07:44 AM   #13
Capt Rick Hiott

I had the S&W 460 XVR,,,,sold it. Couldn't find any factory ammo that it liked
Old January 21, 2020, 08:36 AM   #14
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
Killed several deer with the .357 Magnum, and not impressed.
I've never had an issue.
A properly placed shot drops them every time.
Just as well as typical centerfire rifle calibers often used by hunters.

While this topic is about handguns...
One of the main reasons I switched to 357 Magnum long guns for hunting is that I found they do just as well as "bigger" calibers (often anecdotally better), without the recoil, blast, cost, etc. The vast majority of my hunting is done at short range, 100 or less, so I have no concerns about range. That transferred over to my handgun use as well.
Old January 21, 2020, 09:03 AM   #15
Boarhunter

I have successfully taken Russian hogs with a variety of handguns...BFR 45/70, Smith model 29 44 mag, Smith 329 44 mag, Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt, and even a Ruger 9mm. Generally, the larger bores work just fine.

BOARHUNTER
Old January 21, 2020, 09:17 AM   #16
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Killed several deer with the .357 Magnum, and not impressed. Now the .45 Colt on the other hand, puts them down with authority!
How much deader are they? If you said you hit a bunch that didn't die it would make some sense. Dead is dead.....
Old January 21, 2020, 09:19 AM   #17
Nanuk

My recommendation is the gun you have. It is what I use.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 21, 2020, 10:29 AM   #18
T. O'Heir

"...already own a 7.5" 44 mag..." Which one? It's kind of important. It'd be your best option depending on how well it fits your hand and the ammo used. The trigger pull matters too.
"...end shake reduction..." That's not a mechanical thing. It's usually about one's upper body tone. Not using a rest will do it too.
Old January 21, 2020, 10:38 AM   #19
2wheelwander

Until laws changed and purchases made, I didn't own a handgun to take deer legally in my state. But I did use my fathers 3 screw .357 6" to take a whitetail years ago. He used that same gun to harvest 2 whitetails in one day 30 years ago.

I now have a 686 and Super Redhawk I'm looking forward to using.
Old January 21, 2020, 11:22 AM   #20
MaxP

I hunt exclusively with revolvers and currently have revolvers from .44 Mag all the way up through .500 S&W Mag depending on what I am hunting. For deer I really like something that is fast stepping and violently expanding. I prefer that the deer goes down immediately (even though that is not always possible). Depending on range, I like my .454 BFR as it can be loaded up or down. Nothing wrong with a .357 but it doesn't leave much margin for error. There are better choices IMHO.

Last edited by MaxP; January 21, 2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old January 21, 2020, 11:26 AM   #21
MaxP

Wow I clearly need to resize that....sorry.
Old January 21, 2020, 12:29 PM   #22
USSR

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a .357 but it doesn't leave much margin for error. There are better choices IMHO.
Exactly.

Don
Old January 21, 2020, 01:55 PM   #23
stinkeypete

From southern Wisconsin... +1 for the .44 Magnum.

You don't need full power loads, just a sturdy dose of powder behind a 240g XTP to get it up to 1200 fps. It wallops even big buck whitetails.

The reason I mention the load is you don't need to punish yourself and you'll enjoy time at the range a lot more than a big beefy punishing load.

.357 will do the job, but I learned the hard way that in the field I was hitting twigs, tree branches, saplings, all sorts of things not found at the shooting range. Even though I KNEW I had an excellent shot, I was missing by more than I could believe... until I started finding the things inbetween that were bullet-nicked. The bigger slug is more forgiving of shots that go astray- and shots will go astray no matter how "sure" I was.

We have big deer up here, too. Do them the honor of hitting them as hard as is reasonable.
Old January 21, 2020, 03:06 PM   #24
giggitygiggity

I've been eyeing the SW 460XVR. I think it provides good flexibility in that you can shoot light .45LC or .45 Schoufield or step it up to heavier .454 Casull or .460SW loads.
Old January 21, 2020, 03:29 PM   #25
AgedWarrior

Most all of my hunting was with a handgun until I was about fifty and my eyesight did not lend well to handgun hunting. I never liked a scope on a handgun (though I tried a few), mainly because it was just to bulky to carry and to nose heavy to sight without a support every time. Some folks do well with scoped handguns, but they are not for me. I have since turned more to rifles, but I learned a few things during those years of handgun hunting.

One of the things I learned was that, although a .357 could take down a deer, it was not the best handgun cartridge for the job. .41 mag is an improvement, but I settled on .44 Mag, .45 Colt and .454. A .429 to .451 diameter bullet is good medicine for most any critter in North America. I never used expanding bullets, but stuck with cast for .44 Mag and .45 Colt or jacketed for the .454, but never used hollow points for hunting; they are not necessary, the bullet diameter is sufficient.

I have handgun hunted Mule deer, Whitetail, Puma, Javelina, Black bear and elk with handguns, and I think the only critter out of those listed that might have been reasonable for a .357 would be Javelina. All the rest I would recommend a big bore.

Your 7.5” 44Mag should do just fine; practice with it until you get good. I would urge you to get good with what you have instead of buying another .357...of course you could buy it anyway, because, well because we always need another gun.