The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2020, 07:04 AM   #1
MP-44

What Semi-Auto Shotgun?

All-around use; rabbits, squirrels. doves and very, very informal clay pigeons. I want quality & walnut. I have a Benelli M4 so I am covered in the slug & buckshot department. I would like to keep the purchase under 1k

I have considered finding a used, local Remington 1100, used S&W 1000, and a new Beretta A300 Outlander. These choices were mainly due to looks, price and I stumbled across them.

Any reason t stay away from a used 1100 that looks well taken care of? A lot have fixed chokes.

Suggestions, opinions and info would be appreciated...TIA!
Old January 1, 2020, 08:54 AM   #2
oldshotty

You should look at the V3, it has a very good modern gas system similar to the M4.
Old January 1, 2020, 09:03 AM   #3
MP-44

Quote:
You should look at the V3, it has a very good modern gas system similar to the M4.
Thanks, that does look like it meets my needs and I like the looks.
Old January 1, 2020, 11:55 AM   #4
MP-44

Quote:
26" or 28" ?
Old January 1, 2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Ben Dover

My preference is the Remington 1100.

Time tested and well proven.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old January 1, 2020, 04:06 PM   #6
Virginian

I still prefer the looks of polished bluing and the feel of a steel receiver, so I would go 1100 or an 11-87 premier if you want 3" capability.
Old January 1, 2020, 05:27 PM   #7
44caliberkid

As a young man, my dad invested in a new Browning Auto 5 in 16 gauge, and it was the only shotgun he ever owned, used for everything from geese down to clays. In 1979, my then new bride gifted me with a Browning Auto 5 Light Twelve for Christmas. It has been the only shotgun I have ever used, except for a SxS double for Cowboy shooting. Beautiful blue, excellent wood, never failed, and I always felt confident shooting it.
Old January 2, 2020, 01:26 AM   #8
Scorch

Agree, Browning Auto-5 over anything else. Or a Benelli Super Black Eagle, possibly as reliable as an Auto-5.
Old January 2, 2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Virginian

I had a Browning Auto 5 once, that was more than enough. Nothing wrong with them but not for me. I like the feel and pointability of an 1100 or 11-87. In truth I shoot a Wingmaster better than anything else I have ever owned, and that includes a whole bunch of shotguns.
Old January 2, 2020, 12:02 PM   #10
chadio

Been shooting the Beretta AL 391 for a spell....

It is a pleasure to shoot, a challenge to clean, but worth it to me.
Old January 2, 2020, 01:14 PM   #11
FITASC

Depends on one's budget. The Berettas are great shotguns, but pricier than others.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 2, 2020, 02:28 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

Waterfowl seasons over in VA? Only matters because that's the time to be looking at used shotguns in shops.
"...a used 1100..." Probably the easiest to find and to find 'stuff' for than any Italian shotgun.
Like FITASC says, it'll depend mostly on your budget. But also the relative availability of barrels and/or choke tubes. Any waterfowl in the mix? Choke tubes or not water birds need a different barrel length than upland critters.
Old January 2, 2020, 06:07 PM   #13
dgludwig

I'd look for something that is not so much different as it is special, a Browning Double Auto. Still findable and still affordable, this 12 gauge, two-shot only, Belgium-made shotgun, designed by John Browning's son, Val, has a "short-recoil" action which allows it to have one of the shortest, if not the shortest, receiver of any semi-auto shotgun. The receivers were mostly made of alloy but the earliest ones could also be had in steel. The alloy versions came in several different colors and all Double Auto receivers were hand-engraved.

I've had many, many repeating shotguns over the years but none handle as well for me as the Double Auto.
Old January 2, 2020, 10:47 PM   #14
tmd47762

The used 1100 is a hard idea to beat. 12 or 20 would do what you ask of it just fine. Clean them regularly and they will work.
Old January 4, 2020, 03:12 PM   #15
XDforever

Mossberg just released their 940 JM. Semi automatic replacement for the 930 line. It looks great! First model released has the 24" barrels and 9+1.

I am going to wait until they release an 18"-20" model before I jump though.

Joe
Old January 5, 2020, 06:32 PM   #16
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP-44 View Post
All-around use; rabbits, squirrels. doves and very, very informal clay pigeons. I want quality & walnut. I have a Benelli M4 so I am covered in the slug & buckshot department. I would like to keep the purchase under 1k

I have considered finding a used, local Remington 1100, used S&W 1000, and a new Beretta A300 Outlander. These choices were mainly due to looks, price and I stumbled across them.

Any reason t stay away from a used 1100 that looks well taken care of? A lot have fixed chokes.

Suggestions, opinions and info would be appreciated...TIA!
The V3 is awesome. Leave the S&W alone. I have one torn down in a box trying to find two parts I need to fix it.
Old January 6, 2020, 11:48 AM   #17
scottycoyote

i just picked up a browning maxus in a trade a few months back and so far im pretty impressed....i like how easily it breaks down and 2 weeks ago shot a round of sporting clays with nary a hiccup.

Also a fan of the benelli black eagle, you should be able to find either of these either on sale or used for $1k
Old January 6, 2020, 03:24 PM   #18
JWT

Remington 1100 in very good used shape are not hard to find.
Cannot go wrong with one of those.
Old January 9, 2020, 10:05 PM   #19
Auto5

I might be partial to the Auto 5. I've got 4 of 'em.
Old January 10, 2020, 03:45 AM   #20
std7mag

I bought a CZ720 this past spring.
Comes in a really nice (to me) plastic case, with socks for barrel and buttstock/action.
5 chokes with tool in plastic case.

I originally bought it for spring turkey, but just ended up taking it out for walks.
I've been doing some squirrel, pheasant, rabbit hunting this fall/winter.
Love this gun!
Have been steadily filling the freezer.
Accurate, light weight, soft recoil, easy to clean.
$500.

I highly recommend them!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 11, 2020, 05:41 AM   #21
Rob228

1100s are great, Berettas are too but you spend some more. No experience with the S&W. If you like it and it fits, you will not go wrong with the 1100 or the A300.
Old January 11, 2020, 10:40 AM   #22
HighDesert

Another vote for the Benelli Super Sport, if you’re going semi auto. Love the 1100 and 1187s I’ve shot. Very nice rifles. Biggest deterrent for me on those were their weight. Not noticeable, when you shoot a couple of boxes, but you rarely shoot 50 rounds when out blasting clays. More like 3 - 400 when I’m out with my crew having fun. The Remingtons are heavy. I’m no weakling, but I don’t weigh a ton either, so weight is a factor when hanging a barrel out in front of me over and over.

There’s a huge difference in how the Remington and Benelli shoot tough. To me, Remington is a bit softer and feels like it pushes back on you longer, whereas the Benelli is a really short pop to the shoulder. My right shoulder is a mess from previous injuries, but the Benelli doesn’t hurt it, so not like the “pop” is a concern. The two shoot way different though. I’ve shot a couple of Barrettes too. Nice rifles, but didn’t get a chance to cycle them as long as the other two, so can’t say how they compare as with the above. Was really thinking about getting my wife one though. She love the 20g she was firing...
Old January 17, 2020, 11:15 AM   #23
roadrocket

semi autos

the breda semi autos are not mentioned i have 3 of them and have had no issues with them they are an excellent gun.
Old February 14, 2020, 01:09 PM   #24
Husqvarna

Franchi affinity

Inertia

Mine has been 100% even with 24gram loads

Lightweight
Old February 14, 2020, 01:14 PM   #25
MP-44

I ended up going a completely different route, I acquired a Browning Citori