The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 28, 2019, 01:32 PM   #1
Mike38

Stubborn carbon ring in chamber.

This may be old news to some, but it's new to me, so thought I'd share. I shoot a lot of light loaded (~680fps) .32 S&W Long wadcutter in a semi automatic target pistol, a Benelli MP95. If the chamber is not clean, I mean really clean, it will give failures to extract / eject. Hoppe's No.9 just isn't doing the job at removing the carbon ring that quickly forms in the chamber. It feels like I'm spending more time with a bronze brush in the chamber than I am enjoying shooting. I did some searching on the internet and found on a couple benchrest forums where people were using GM Top Engine Carbon Cleaner to clean carbon rings out of chambers. Well, that particular product is no where to be found in my area. My local NAPA had this stuff called Seafoam Top Engine Cleaner & Lube, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I spray it on a Q-Tip, swab the chamber and let soak 5 minutes. Brush the .32 caliber chamber with a .35 caliber (9mm) bronze brush a few strokes, then repeat. Then clean the bore as I normally would. Chamber is very clean, and free from that stubborn carbon ring that builds up.

I can now shoot 100 rounds in a session without any failures of any kind. I do dry brush the chamber every 20-30 rounds during the shooting session, but that's no big deal. Shooting my .32 target pistol has become a pleasure again. I'm liking that.

I don't know if this is a problem with all wadcutter ammo, such as the .38 Scpl wadcutter in a S&W M52, but I'm sure this SeaFoam Top Engine Cleaner would work just as good there.
Old December 28, 2019, 01:59 PM   #2
50 shooter

You can also try the Lewis lead remover system, most online stores carry it. Your local gun shop might carry it, call them and ask.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod21587.aspx

There's also another solvent made by Boretech called Rimfire Blend. https://www.boretech.com/products/rimfire-blend
No time for rearranging.
Old December 28, 2019, 11:00 PM   #3
HiBC

If Sea Foam is working for you,great! Thanks
Old January 2, 2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Catman42

you might try carboretor cleaner and a stiff gun bore brush.