The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 13, 2019, 09:13 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Scope for new 6.5 Creed

Just ordered a Vanguard in 6.5 creed. Mainly a hunting rifle. I want a little more than a 3-9x40 glass. Think I want 30mm tube with 40-42mm objective. 50s seem like they wash out in the sun. I dont want to lose the wide field of view offered by a standard 3-9x40- 1". Budget sub $800. Considering the US Optics TS-12. I am guessing that the lower priced USO stuff is import. Love some input
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 14, 2019, 12:09 AM   #2
lefteye

Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is great hunting scope. List retail price is $519.99. This is the current version of my favorite rifle hunting scope that I used for Mule Deer and Elk hunting several years ago. I got a beautiful 5 x 5 Mule Deer at about 400 yards with my Rem. 700 BDL .270 in a Brown Precision synthetic stock. I used another of the same scope model on my .300 Win Mag to take two 5 X 5 Elk. The biggest Mule Deer and biggest Elk are on my walls.
Old November 14, 2019, 12:12 PM   #3
BoogieMan

@Lefteye- Thank you for the input. I like Leupold optics in general. But, I hunt in the woods and vision is not the best anymore. I like to have a little more magnification available and need a little bigger objective to let in enough light.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 14, 2019, 01:17 PM   #4
Ernie Bishop

https://www.hollandguns.com/31m7/rif...me-getter.html
I have one on my 6.5 Creed.
Had a new shooter use it this summer for a LR steel shoot.
Old November 14, 2019, 07:22 PM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan View Post
@Lefteye- Thank you for the input. I like Leupold optics in general. But, I hunt in the woods and vision is not the best anymore. I like to have a little more magnification available and need a little bigger objective to let in enough light.
If you want bright, at the moment Meopta is the king of bright.
Old November 15, 2019, 04:37 PM   #6
jmr40

You're going about this the wrong way. Depending on the magnification a scope with a 20mm objective could let in more light and be brighter in low light conditions than a 50mm objective. The more magnification you have, the bigger front objective you need. A variable power scope set on 8X with a 40mm tube lets in all the light you can use. Which is exactly the same as a 4X scope with a 20mm tube or a 10X scope with a 50mm objective. If you don't need more than 8X then you don't need an objective bigger than 40mm. If you want more than 10X even a 50mm objective isn't big enough.

And the quality of the glass trumps objective size within reasonable limits. A 10X optic with a 25mm objective like you see on many binoculars will be poor in low light regardless of the lens quality. But high quality 8X glass with a 32mm objective may well be better than lower quality 8X glass with a 40mm objective.

A 30mm tubes only advantage is more adjustment range for shooting at really long range. But they are sorta growing on me too and I like them even though my practical side tells me they aren't necessary on a hunting rifle. They are a little heavier.

You can't really go wrong with a 3.5-10X40 Leupold VX3i for the money. As long as you don't go over 8X in poor light they would be a good choice.

This is my favorite hunting scope. Meopta used to make this scope and place Ziess badging on it. It is the exact same scope as the now discontinued Ziess Conquest 3-9X40. They made them for Cabelas for a few years too with Cabelas name on them.

https://www.swfa.com/meopta-3-9x40-m....html?___SID=U

I don't have this exact scope, but do have a fixed 6X just like it that I REALLY like. This checks off all of your boxes, 30mm tube. 3-9X magnification and 42 mm objective. If it is as good as my 6X fixed power then it is a great scope.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x....html?___SID=U

Winston Churchill
Old November 16, 2019, 11:48 AM   #7
Don Fischer

Kind of hard anymore to find a scope less than 3-9x except mail order. I have to many as they were what I could get around here. Well I could have gone up in power! I think a lot of people overthink the scope thing. They want something they can see well enough to shoot to 400-500+ yds if need be then go out and shoot their deer every year at 150 yds! My favorite scope is on my 30-06. Old Denver Redfield 2 3/4x widefield. Got it brand new many years ago and it's always done what I needed. Last few scope's I bought did come mail order. 2-7x Leupold/Redfields. Mostly I leave my scopes on the lowest power for hunting.
Old November 18, 2019, 07:10 PM   #8
Jasonzee

SWFA makes good scopes with clear glass I have two! 10x50 30mm tube.
Old November 19, 2019, 08:08 PM   #9
BoogieMan

The USO TS12 came in today. Havent had it to range yet. But, first impression is very good. Glass is crystal clear out to edges and controls are smooth, sharp clicks on windage and elevation.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown