The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 27, 2011, 10:35 AM   #26
Noz

I use a push stick to seat all caps.
Fingers doesn't but he has an unique wrist twist that he does when he seats his caps with his capper.
I have watched him many times and cannot duplicate it, thus the push stick.
Old October 10, 2011, 06:29 PM   #27
Hardy

Clembert I have an over supply of Rem #11 since you live in Sc come get them [email protected]
WBH
Old October 10, 2011, 09:27 PM   #28
bn12gg

ClemBert-- Drop by Buffalo Bills on Mills/17-92 in Orlando
and speak with Jim. They have your CCI caps plus a bunch
of other stuff. It is pretty much a BP store.

Although, I transfer other guns via their FFL.

They have a web site.

.02 David
Old October 12, 2011, 05:37 PM   #29
Hardy

Clembert-got storm here and computer might not have sent you my PM email me at [email protected]

WBH
Old January 27, 2020, 03:58 PM   #30
rumjump

Well, that's just great... I've read all of the above and then some. I am having the same problem. Small town in Wyoming, only have CCI caps. Have replaced the nipples with slix-shot. [$36.00 & $7.70 shipping] Still needs the second hammer fall. (most of the time) when you think that this is the first hammer fall and it will not fire....BOOM..."muzzle control" no harm.
Old January 27, 2020, 05:12 PM   #31
Hawg

All I can tell you is make sure they're fully seated. If they won't fully seat with a push stick find out why.
Old January 27, 2020, 07:34 PM   #32
44 Dave

Had a situation when all I had was #10 CCIs. What I did to each cap was place it a pine board and make a slit on one side with an Exacto knife. This allowed the cap to spread a little when pressed on the nipple with a dowel.
Old January 27, 2020, 09:16 PM   #33
45 Dragoon

Yep, the hammer has to go through a lot of "stuff" before it gets to the cap. At that point, it's supposed to have the ability to hit the cap with enough force to initiate ignition!! I've settled on a 4 lb. hammer draw as the min. for competition revolvers, Walkers/Dragoons can get away with mid 3lb. hammer draws because of the extra inertia in the larger hammer!!

So, if you get rid of all the "stuff" (my job) you can get 100% ignition with easily manageable hammer draws!! So, there ya go . . . .

Mike
Old January 29, 2020, 10:31 PM   #34
woodnbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumjump View Post
Well, that's just great... I've read all of the above and then some. I am having the same problem. Small town in Wyoming, only have CCI caps. Have replaced the nipples with slix-shot. [$36.00 & $7.70 shipping] Still needs the second hammer fall. (most of the time) when you think that this is the first hammer fall and it will not fire....BOOM..."muzzle control" no harm.
Check the cap fit. Your cones are too large apparently, for the cci’s. Chuck one of the nipples in the drill press and gently apply a file to the tapered cone. Check often until the cap slides home with an audible sigh... (not really a sigh but y get the idea.) if the caps fit and the mainspring is original strength, there’s really nothing else for the gun to do but fire!