The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 15, 2020, 07:57 PM   #1
schotzfyred

CVA scout v2 45-70

I just picked up the CVA Scout v2 in 45-70. Finally a big bore single shot rifle I could afford.
The rifle seems well made: stainless steel, 25in. barrel with a brake, rail and a 2 1/2lb trigger.
I'm loading on the light side to start: 300gr coated boolit from ACME, 11gr Unique.
Does anyone on this forum have experience with the CVA?

John "Duke" Wayne
Old January 15, 2020, 08:42 PM   #2
Catman42

load this instead for accuracy and reliability. 400 grain cast lubed bullet. a 60 thousands fiber wad behind the bullet. fill the case with black horn 209 powder, so the bullet and wad can still fit in the case. as it is a single shot dont crimp the case just slip fit the bullet into the case. this load will give accuracy with your gun and knock down power in hunting. you can go to a 425 grain or 450 grain bullet if you want, no higher in weight. ive shot 45/70s fro many years and take my advice as what will work for you. if you want a little more snap substitute reloader 7 for the black horn 209 powder. that will take anything down in all of north america. HAVE FUN.
Old January 16, 2020, 08:04 AM   #3
fourbore

I started using BH209 in the 50/70 and like the simplicity and piece of mind for loading up in the old guns. The powder is expensive, but; nothing to get alarmed over. Last can I got was $40 and I see some now $45. When you open it, it is only 1/2 full.

It can be substituted by volume for black powder in the old cartridges. The last post was good. A tip once you determine how much powder will fit, weigh the charge or determine the volume for a scoop. I guess that was obvious. You do not compress 209. Use magnum primers. It is cleaned with Hoppes No9. They specifically call out that product for cleaning.

I think given you are shooting a modern looking, modern gun you might use jacketed HP bullets with modern smokeless. The reason for 209 in 45/70 is shooting in weak guns. Or the traditional puff smoke. You need to read you instruction book and see what pressure level the CVA will handle. Many manuals list three sections for the 45/70. Weak loads for trapdoor rifles, intermediate power loads for Marlin and heavy loads for the Ruger No1.

If I had that gun, I would want to know exactly what I was working with. Is that in your owners manual? If nothing then assume you are limited to the trapdoor loads. Even if 243 is an option, that does not translate into an equal pressure for a round with a larger base area. I wonder if any manuals give H&R single shot loads? Those might substitute ok?

If you like the 45/70, over time you may accumulate other guns. I like the versatility of the round and variety of the firearms. CVA makes handguns. I wonder if they offer that in 45/70? How cool would that be?
Old January 16, 2020, 11:20 AM   #4
schotzfyred

I have an 1886 Winchester xtra light from 1902 and have put counltess rounds thru it over the years and I'm going to tuck it in the safe and only occasionally let it loose.
I expect much fun from the CVA.
I was more interested in the gun reports than the loads. I've been reloading the 45-70 with many boolit weights and powders for years.

John "Duke" Wayne
Old January 16, 2020, 07:07 PM   #5
schotzfyred

Magnum Research makes a 45-70 revolver.............

John "Duke" Wayne