The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2019, 08:14 PM   #1
Andy1

450 Bushmaster reloading question

I don't reload, but I want to start after the New Year. I've been watching YouTube videos from the Ready, Set, Reload channel. I want to start because I can't find lead free 35 Remington ammo and I need a new hobby.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to pick up a 450 Bushmaster at a decent price. If I'm going to reload for it I plan on using copper bullets. Aside from the XPB bullets there are also the Spitfire MZ muzzleloader bullets. They're still .451 but they're boat tailed and tuned for muzzleloader velocities. I imagine it would be no different than using them in a Savage ML2 with smokeless powder.

Would it be safe to load these in a 450 Bushmaster given its velocity and pressure ratings?
Old December 24, 2019, 08:35 PM   #2
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1 View Post
I don't reload, but I want to start after the New Year. I've been watching YouTube videos from the Ready, Set, Reload channel. I want to start because I can't find lead free 35 Remington ammo and I need a new hobby.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to pick up a 450 Bushmaster at a decent price. If I'm going to reload for it I plan on using copper bullets. Aside from the XPB bullets there are also the Spitfire MZ muzzleloader bullets. They're still .451 but they're boat tailed and tuned for muzzleloader velocities. I imagine it would be no different than using them in a Savage ML2 with smokeless powder.

Would it be safe to load these in a 450 Bushmaster given its velocity and pressure ratings?
The 450 Bushmaster was developed around Hornady's muzzleloader bullet. In my opinion, the 250 ftx is the best all around bullet in the 450BM.
Old January 13, 2020, 09:06 PM   #3
jsflagstad

My 450 BM shoots the FTX well, but shoots XTP's better. Both 250 Grain.

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old January 15, 2020, 05:34 PM   #4
GeauxTide

I have set up my Bushmaster 450 AR for loading, but I got 5 boxes of Hornady factory 250FTX to go through. Hornady X lists Lil'Gun as the best powder and I got Hornady brass. FWIW, the factory loads print 5 shot 1/2" groups all day. I absolutely love the 450.
Old January 15, 2020, 09:44 PM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
I have set up my Bushmaster 450 AR for loading, but I got 5 boxes of Hornady factory 250FTX to go through. Hornady X lists Lil'Gun as the best powder and I got Hornady brass. FWIW, the factory loads print 5 shot 1/2" groups all day. I absolutely love the 450.
Its accuracy is amazing. My friend is trying to get someone to make him some match bullets for it. He wants to build a 100 yard bullseye bench rest rifle in 450 Bushmaster. If he can get the bullets, I will probably build one as well.