The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 27, 2019, 03:21 PM   #26
TunnelRat

Negligent gun handling is indeed a thing and if we want to expand this conversation to include any and all negligent firearm handling (and proper sight alignment as well) we can certainly go that route (though we may never get home). Whether that means press checks are bound to result in shooting yourself or someone else is another question, imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 27, 2019, 03:42 PM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Well... A lot has been said already.

I press check when I feel I need to. It isn't often and it isn't never.
Old December 27, 2019, 04:34 PM   #28
Sevens

Is the SIG Sauer Academy the next to last training facility? Note to self: if using a 25-cent word, see if they’ll make change.

I believe a press check butts heads with rule #1. If rule #1 or the four rules isn’t something that matters to someone, then we aren’t likely to agree on a press check either. All good. There’s probably a lot that we do agree on, not that it matters either way.
Old December 27, 2019, 05:13 PM   #29
TunnelRat

I think you'll see where I explicitly said I wasn't calling them the ultimate source (it's also far from the only place or organization that will cover press checks). Or you can do what you did, make a little joke to misdirect and then ignore all the other points that were made. That's definitely the more intellectually honest choice .

We've gone over rule 1. If you want to belabor the point we can do that too.

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 29, 2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old December 27, 2019, 06:18 PM   #30
FireForged

Quote:
Press (chamber) checks ARE necessary
whatever bro.. its largely a shtick. If a person needs to perform a press check as a matter of routine, I suspect there is some sort of problem.

Personally, I consider it to be a television, movie induced fad. That's just me.

Last edited by FireForged; December 27, 2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old December 27, 2019, 06:54 PM   #31
TunnelRat

It seems to me that the people that don't do it are more bothered by people that do than vice versa. The "TV/movie watching" and other comments come out regardless of the backgrounds of the people doing it or the explanations given.

It's something that's totally user choice. Just because front serrations or rear serrations are there doesn't mean you have to use them for press checks. If you've never done it and see no reason to do so then keep doing you. It doesn't mean people that do choose to do it are all dangerous, lazy, inexperienced, or have watched John Wick too many times.

There's a lot in firearms that seems to become dogmatic for really no reason, imo.

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 27, 2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old December 27, 2019, 10:12 PM   #32
FireForged

Quote:
Just because front serrations or rear serrations are there doesn't mean you have to use them for press checks
I agree... they are cocking serrations not "press check serrations".

Quote:
It doesn't mean people that do choose to do it are all dangerous, lazy, inexperienced, or have watched John Wick too many times.
I disagree.. I think it can easily be indicative of inexperience or a lack of confidence. It doesn't mean that everyone who performs a press check is a novice but it is the impression that I am often left with. Especially if I notice someone do it as a matter of routine.

I do not recall ever meeting anyone who was "trained" to perform a press check. I have asked numerous people over the years and they nearly always admit that they are merely emulating someone they think is tacti-cool( usually from the internet, comp vids or television).

I wont say that "press checks" are useless or never should be performed. I will simply say that I generally consider it to be some manner of training scar, tactical fad, or dance move. I cant think of a single legitimate reason that would compel me to perform a press-check. Thats just how I feel as someone who carries a gun for self defense and not gun-games.

Last edited by FireForged; December 27, 2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old December 27, 2019, 10:15 PM   #33
TunnelRat

I have been trained to do it, as were the dozens of people that were in those courses with me so my perspective is I imagine different. In my experience it isn't those things. I also carry a firearm for defense and not games, as was true of the instructors.

I can't and am not trying to discount your experience, my comment is I don't think doing it or not should result in an automatic assumption. Obviously I'm not everyone and they can do as they please.

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 27, 2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old December 27, 2019, 10:18 PM   #34
FireForged

Who trained you to perform press-checks?
Old December 27, 2019, 10:28 PM   #35
TunnelRat

Would you like their names or is SIG Sauer Academy enough? I can look up the names of the instructors from my records as well as dates.

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 27, 2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old December 27, 2019, 10:29 PM   #36
FireForged

The outfit is good enough. Thanks
Old December 27, 2019, 10:36 PM   #37
Sharkbite

Quote:
Who trained you to perform press-checks?
Sig Academy
Gunsite
Smith & Wesson Academy
Magpul Dynamics (or did)
Front Sight
Thunder Ranch
Dept of State

Im sure there are others....
Old December 27, 2019, 10:42 PM   #38
FireForged

Thank you for the list. I want to make sure I understand what you are both saying.

You are saying that as an integral part of your routine gun handling.. you were trained to perform press checks?

If you answer in the affirmative, I will certainly take you at your word. I am rather mystified though.
Old December 27, 2019, 10:48 PM   #39
TunnelRat

Define "routine" (and that's not me being snarky that's an honest question).

Do I do it every time I handle/holster a firearm? No. A crude rule of thumb would be every time I load the firearm. However it's also situational. Would I do it during an emergency reload? No.

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 27, 2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old December 27, 2019, 11:04 PM   #40
Sharkbite

I do it everytime i handle a gun that has been out of my control.
I do it after loading to ENSURE a round in the chamber. I dont/wont trust a loaded chamber indicator. I will see (or feel) that round in the chamber.
I do it after unloading

I dont do it whenever i draw my pistol
I dont do it after a reload (tac or emergency)
I dont do it just because

I do it whenever i need to ensure the condition of my pistol/Rifle is what i want it to be at the time.
Old December 27, 2019, 11:22 PM   #41
TunnelRat

Sharkbite's post is much better put than mine. Thinking through his points they match what I've been taught.

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 28, 2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old December 28, 2019, 11:45 AM   #42
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah, Sharkbite said it best.

I perform it when I feel I need to have that visual verification.
Old December 29, 2019, 01:46 AM   #43
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Several posts have been removed because they were unrelated to the topic of discussion -- or firearms -- and were tiptoeing in the direction of violating forum rule #3.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming ...
Jeepaholic
Old December 29, 2019, 08:01 AM   #44
Nanuk

Quote:
It seems to me that the people that don't do it are more bothered by people that do than vice versa. The "TV/movie watching" and other comments come out regardless of the backgrounds of the people doing it or the explanations given.
I don't care what anyone does with their gun, just as long as its not pointed at me.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 30, 2019, 06:01 AM   #45
Brit

After much waffling, Glock 43X or Glock 19? Yesterday I went back to one of the most carried pistols in the free world, the Glock 19. Unload 43X put it back in the safe. Take out my G19 (The one with the fish scales?) has a perfect 4.5 lbs trigger, clean break hardly any front end take up. 15 round magazine inserted, rack slide, replace the missing round in the magazine. Done. I can actually see the little silver glint of the stainless cartridge case. 147g federal.

Bedside table. Tomorrow holster. No kids in this house, 8 grandkids in their own houses. Soon be the 2020 year, Happy New Year all. In advance.
Old January 1, 2020, 07:52 AM   #46
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
After much waffling, Glock 43X or Glock 19? Yesterday I went back to one of the most carried pistols in the free world, the Glock 19. Unload 43X put it back in the safe. Take out my G19 (The one with the fish scales?) has a perfect 4.5 lbs trigger, clean break hardly any front end take up. 15 round magazine inserted, rack slide, replace the missing round in the magazine. Done. I can actually see the little silver glint of the stainless cartridge case. 147g federal.

Bedside table. Tomorrow holster. No kids in this house, 8 grandkids in their own houses. Soon be the 2020 year, Happy New Year all. In advance.
Happy new year to you too. I enjoy your various ramblings(a good thing) about you, your handguns and your life experience's.
I carry a G26 with a G19 magazine(with sleeve), so essentially a 'short barrel' G19 BUT, after cleaning...15r magazine in, rack slide, magazine out, add one more round(if the round DIDN'T chamber, could not do this)..PLUS, I look at the side where I can see the round in the barrel.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; January 1, 2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old May 5, 2020, 03:06 PM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

I'm aware this thread has been inactive for a while, but I just got around to reading through it, and I wish to add a couple comments.

First off, I will agree there is a risk anytime you put part of you in front of the muzzle of a loaded firearm. That being said, I don't consider a press check, done right, to be much of a risk.

And, doing it "right" is the key. Sure, you might shoot your finger off, but before that can happen you have to made the dangerous mistake of having your finger ON the trigger!!

The trigger finger should NEVER be on the trigger until you are intending to shoot. That's a BASIC rule. Best not to even be inside the trigger guard. Break that basic rule and you're setting your self up for trouble.

Simply put, you cannot accidently or negligently pull the trigger if your finger is not there.

Quote:
With 1911s, the way many people used to do press checks was to hook the index finger of the weak hand around the front of the slide, on the recoil spring plug, and use that to pull back the slide. If that index finger were to ride up even slightly, it would be partially covering the muzzle and a negligent discharge at that time would have fairly predictable results.
I have a small issue with this, as described, it assumes there is a finger on the trigger to cause a negligent discharge, and once you push back the slide, the finger can't "ride up" the barrel is in the way. Properly done, you "pinch" the gun, between thumb hooked inside the front of the trigger guard and a finger on the recoil spring plug. "shootng hand" holds grip, triggerfinger OUTSIDE trigger guard.

Quote:
Front cocking serrations (which I do not like, and which I avoid to the greatest extent possible) were added specifically to allow press checking without putting any digits in line with the muzzle.
I disagree with "cocking serrations" being put on the front of the slide to allow press checking. They weren't. They first show up on some "race guns" which used a optic mount that blocked use of the regular serrations. Not for press checking, but for loading the gun (racking the slide). They became "fashionable" and something customers came to expect, for the look, more than anything else. When people figured out they could use them for a press check, of course they began doing it, though they really shouldn't.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:45 PM   #48
stinkeypete

"Press Check" seems like some way to make "pulling the slide back to see if a round is chambered" seem "cool".

There are cocking serrations at the back that work plenty good for me when it comes to racking the slide, and with optics on top, I had this cool little bar that fit in the now-empty rear dovetail but it was useless cuz I always just grabbed the optic. Seeing as how I had a .45acp round going off half an inch under it and blowing it back any forces from my hand never changed my poi.

Shopping for a new .45 it seems everyone is doing front slide serrations. I guess that's the fashion now. It actually makes the Colt's more attractive to me as they don't have it.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:18 AM   #49
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
There are cocking serrations at the back that work plenty good for me when it comes to racking the slide, and with optics on top, I had this cool little bar that fit in the now-empty rear dovetail but it was useless cuz I always just grabbed the optic
TODAY everyone is mounting optics on the slide. A few decades ago, that wasn't the case. Early "race guns" often had their optics on mounts that were fastened to the frame, and went around the slide at the rear, covering the normal cocking serrations. Slides got front serrations because the rear ones were no longer easily used. This was done for function, became style, and style becomes fashion, and people PAY for fashion.

I remember the various T-handles and rings and hooks and such that also got used, but they didn't get the "cool look" factor that front serrations got in the eye of the buying public. So they've pretty much gone away. And, with advances in tech, mounting more modern optics ON the slide, the need for front slide serrations has also gone away. But enough buyers like the look, so makers keep putting them on guns.

Personally, I rarely do any kind of "press check", never got in the habit, I find it awkward and while I'm not concerned with shooting my finger, its just not something I ever needed to do. Lots of my pistols cannot be "press checked", and if I have doubts about there being a round in the chamber, I just rack the slide/cycle the action.

Maybe its just me, maybe I'm different from most, but I've always thought that if you can't remember if you loaded the gun, or not, you shouldn't be carrying it or be going into harm's way...
Old May 6, 2020, 07:20 AM   #50
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
TODAY everyone is mounting optics on the slide. A few decades ago, that wasn't the case. Early "race guns" often had their optics on mounts that were fastened to the frame, and went around the slide at the rear, covering the normal cocking serrations. Slides got front serrations because the rear ones were no longer easily used. This was done for function, became style, and style becomes fashion, and people PAY for fashion.

I remember the various T-handles and rings and hooks and such that also got used, but they didn't get the "cool look" factor that front serrations got in the eye of the buying public. So they've pretty much gone away. And, with advances in tech, mounting more modern optics ON the slide, the need for front slide serrations has also gone away. But enough buyers like the look, so makers keep putting them on guns.

Personally, I rarely do any kind of "press check", never got in the habit, I find it awkward and while I'm not concerned with shooting my finger, its just not something I ever needed to do. Lots of my pistols cannot be "press checked", and if I have doubts about there being a round in the chamber, I just rack the slide/cycle the action.

Maybe its just me, maybe I'm different from most, but I've always thought that if you can't remember if you loaded the gun, or not, you shouldn't be carrying it or be going into harm's way...

I have two pistols with red dots mounted to the slide. While I can use the rear serrations still, saying that it’s no longer because of function is to me an exaggeration.

Which pistols do you have that can’t be press checked?

As we covered in this thread months ago, there are a number of professional users of firearms and training centers that do press checks. If you don’t want to do one fair enough. Saying people that do one shouldn’t be carrying a firearm seems a bit of a stretch, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk