The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 7, 2018, 01:33 PM   #1
offroadxoutlaw

Ruger AR556 issues

Having some issues with the Ruger AR556 i have.. put about 1000 rounds through it so far and it has a very choppy recoil like the action is trying to slap itself apart and the action sometimes fails to close all the way and i have yo use the forward assist ive heard that ruger put some of these rifles out with rough machining to the bolt but cant see anything obvious there also have been told to replace the buffer spring that the problem is there not sure what to do about it anyone have any advise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old August 7, 2018, 09:03 PM   #2
gbclarkson

Contact Ruger. They have excellent customer service.
Old August 7, 2018, 11:10 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

moved to Rifles Forum...
Old August 8, 2018, 12:38 AM   #4
marine6680

Factory rifle... Have Ruger fix it. That is the simple answer.

It's hard to diagnose a problem without seeing the rifle in question.
Old August 8, 2018, 08:50 AM   #5
pblanc

Well, I would definitely take the gun down and give it a good cleaning and lubrication. Take the buffer and recoil spring out of the receiver extension tube and check them carefully. Make sure the buffer and spring are not binding in the tube. Make sure that the gas rings are not deformed and that the bolt moves smoothly in and out of the BCG and rotates smoothly on the cam pin.

If everything looks good and it is still giving you trouble, send it back to Ruger.

I have a Ruger AR 556 and have not had any problems with it whatsoever, but that doesn't help you out much.
Old August 8, 2018, 12:05 PM   #6
armednfree

Sounds way over gassed.
Old August 8, 2018, 12:10 PM   #7
weblance

Try using punctuation. It really helps
Old August 8, 2018, 02:57 PM   #8
odugrad

I would do what pblanc says.

I'd also check the bolt lugs and chamber to make sure there isn't an issue there. Maybe try different mags and ammo to see if it's feeding the rounds properly.
Old August 8, 2018, 05:28 PM   #9
PlatinumCore16

Agreed on the takedown, inspect, clean, lightly lube, and retry with other ammo/mags. If the problem still exists, send it back. If you don't modify it, they should take care of it.

I also have one and have not had any issues with it through several hundred rounds, some of which were pretty rapid fire.
Old August 8, 2018, 06:59 PM   #10
Sharkbite

LOL... I read the title of the thread as Ruger AC556. Whole ‘nother animal.
Old August 8, 2018, 08:40 PM   #11
marine6680

Well... They are entry level rifles...

They are not built to handle a "carbine course".

Last edited by marine6680; August 8, 2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old August 8, 2018, 08:53 PM   #12
Dranrab

My 556 failed right out of the box. Ruger CS was fantastic. Like a well oiled machine. I guess it's one of those practice makes perfect things.
Old August 9, 2018, 12:15 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I'd rather they produce firearms that do not require such "excellent customer service."
I've got over 20 Ruger firearms, currently and have had many others. None of them has ever needed Ruger's excellent customer service. It is, however, very nice to know its there, if I ever do need it.

and no, none of them have been an AR556. That model might be their Corvair or Edsel, I don't know, but I've had a lot of examples of the rest of their firearms and found them to be uniformly good to excellent, particularly at their price.
Old August 9, 2018, 07:54 AM   #14
stagpanther

The ruger AR's are unique in their design (the piston ones anyways) and I've had friends that have had minor issues with them--mostly due to gas system balancing, I'm guessing that's what's likely going on here. It is true that I've heard more about their AR's than any of their other guns which have all been flawless for me (except when I decide to mod them or shoot handloads--and even then I have no trouble getting an engineer on the line if I make a few calls, you just have to pretend a liability lawyer is sitting in on a conference call).

Give em a call--they will solve the issue one way or the other.
Old August 9, 2018, 08:26 AM   #15
pblanc

The Ruger AR 556 is not unique in its design. It is a basic direct gas impingement action with a pretty standard single-stage mil-spec trigger.

There are a few things that are proprietary that really don't affect function. The front sight/gas block is not the A2 standard in that it has a serrated rear face and a quick release sling swivel socket instead of a permanently attached sling swivel. Instead of a spring-loaded Delta ring, the AR 556 Delta ring is threaded. The bolt carrier group is the old Colt semi-auto design with an unshrouded firing pin. But none of these things should materially affect function.
Old August 9, 2018, 09:31 AM   #16
zeke

Friend had similar situation with this rifle. Found out he was using commercial reloads, and the Ruger had a tight chamber. On a fairly regular basis, the commercial reloads would not easily cycle into the chamber. He bought sb dies to reload for it, and the rifle is exceptionally accurate for it's price range.

Difficult to help with a situation without knowing what rounds you are using. Factory/reloads ? Has the rifle been cleaned, including chamber/locking lugs?
Old August 9, 2018, 12:28 PM   #17
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
Well... They are entry level rifles...

They are not built to handle a "carbine course".
I've been thru a couple weekend carbine courses, 400-500 rounds per day with what I'd consider an entry level rifle with a PSA Freedom upper. I clean it, lube it, and beat the bejesus out of it, without failures or worry. Is the Ruger somehow more fragile?
Old August 9, 2018, 12:42 PM   #18
offroadxoutlaw

Rifle was cleaned and lubed out of box before i ever shot it. The ammo im using is all new green tips no reloads, im going to contact Ruger see what they have to say about it..

Old August 9, 2018, 03:51 PM   #19
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadxoutlaw View Post
Rifle was cleaned and lubed out of box before i ever shot it. The ammo im using is all new green tips no reloads, im going to contact Ruger see what they have to say about it..

Good plan, it sounds like a mfg problem. Let us know what they say.