The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 2, 2018, 11:02 AM   #1
kymasabe

I could use some AR barrel advise .

Long story short, I find myself in possession of two ballistic advantage barrels, I can only afford to keep one and have to return the other. Both are Hanson series barrels.
First is 16 inch, 5.56, mid length, QPQ coated. Other is 18 inch, .223 Wylde, mid length, bead blasted stainless.
I tend to lean towards black barrels, and short, light AR's. But, the 16 inch isn't an m4 profile or gov't profile, looks tapered and is heavier than usual. 27 oz, while the stainless 18 incher is 40 oz.
Is there a good reason why I should settle for a bead blasted stainless finish and go for the longer barrel and .223 Wylde chamber? Or stick with "business as usual" and go with the 16 inch?
I'm sure both barrels are capable of excellent accuracy.
Old August 2, 2018, 11:35 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Advice? The .223 Wylde lets you chamber any .223 or 5.56NATO ammo. Really just a longer throat.
The metal finish can easily and relatively inexpensively changed to any colour you want. Even SS.
Too much velocity loss with the wee short barrel. Far less government interference too.
Old August 2, 2018, 11:56 AM   #3
pblanc

Well, any 5.56 barrel will let you shoot either .223 Rem or 5.56. But the Wylde barrel is said to be a bit more accurate for .223 Rem than a 5.56 barrel.
Old August 2, 2018, 02:10 PM   #4
lordmorgul

I could use some AR barrel advise .

Keep the Hanson, it is a fantastic compromise between weight and performance. It makes a great 16” rifle.

Later, build another upper with a 20” SPR barrel stainless... if you want it, but for now the 2” from 16” to 18” is minimal for the weight increase you’re seeing (which is also material difference not just length). You’ll get around an 52oz barrel or so later, 20” and better profile. With a 20” you’ll get ~350 FPS more and only about ~175 FPS more from 18”. The 20” will be better for accurate heavy bullet shooting for high power competition or just fun.

The 16” Hanson mid length profile is great, I have both that barrel and an Aero Precision 16” mid length profile (same maker, BA makes Aero barrels but with a different profile). I also have a 20” Fluted heavy profile rifle length Green Mountain Rifle barrel in 223 Wylde chamber.

My 16” Hanson barrel is easily 1 MOA @ 100 yards with match ammo and rings 600 yard steel with ease, and thru entire magazines, which is what the thicker profile is for. It’s a quality product.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old August 2, 2018, 07:09 PM   #5
marine6680

Is there a particular role to fill that would warrant the heavier barrel, that may or may not be more accurate?

BA barrels are pretty accurate across the board, so the SS may be more accurate, it may not be significantly so.

It weighs a lot more as well.

The Hanson profile is thicker at the chamber area to help it stay consistent through a long string of fire, without the weight of a heavy profile barrel.

On the whole, it's the better general use option.
Old August 3, 2018, 01:03 PM   #6
kymasabe

Thank you all. I had to make a decision so, I kept the black QPQ coated 16 inch Hanson performance barrel and returned the 18 inch stainless one. Now I jyst need to save up for a BCG and a handguard, and my build will be complete.
Added: I figured either barrel waa capable of better accuracy than I can ever accomplish, I'm the weak link in the equation, so i might as well go for the shorter, lighter barrel with the color I prefer.

Last edited by kymasabe; August 3, 2018 at 02:50 PM.