The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2016, 01:32 PM   #1
briandg

Cleaning discovery.

I've never had a lot of luck with th dryer sheet method, mainly because we don't buy them.

I keep a few chips if broken ceramic in me media, it seems to scrape it clean. For dust collection, I put a fine textured sea sponge in it. Of course it collects some media, and I gently tap the media out of the pores. Then I pound out the dust.

I've experimented with this for v several thousand rounds. My brass is cleaner, so is my media.

My media is half fine cob, half fine walnut, wit midway cleaner.

I'm thinking about building an electrostatic generator to pull off dust as it runs.
Old April 24, 2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Sevens

I also don't use the dryer sheets for the same reason, I never use 'em in the dryer so I don't have them. I simply cut up squares of paper towel and they come out extremely dirty so I know they are eating up some filth.

All I really need to do is change my media more often...
I just kind of don't really think about it or bother with it, usually end up using the same stuff for what must be nearly a year before I get around to tossing it.

All I know is that I just don't spend much money on brass tumbling. Time, energy, some electricity, yes. But money? Insignificant. My media is simply the ground up corn media made specifically for tumbling. I add a swirl of NuFinish.

I may be spending more money on NuFinish than on media but neither is much.
Old April 24, 2016, 02:31 PM   #3
briandg

Simple enough. I tried a lot of things but nothing did this before. After I ran the sponge, seriously, I could even see that the media was cleaner. It's about the size of a biscuit. I've tried cello sponges, gum erasers, paper towels, many, many things. I think th a all three of those things combined with wiping out the bowl works well.

You really should try the ceramic chips, or even a handful of the half inch porcelain tiles. You'd expect them to scratch the brass, but it's safe. I he though of using drywall screws, but didn't want to get hurt as I fished around. When I next go to the metals place, I intend to get some carbide end mills to try.