The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Dc777

Reloading!! I need expert advice.

I've never reloaded ammo before but have been thinking about it for the past year or so. Well Christmas is coming up and I could get a reloading kit although I would be footing some of the bill. I've seen some brand new lee reloading kits on ebay for a little over $100. What I need is for someone to tell me every single item that I need to get started as I know the kit doesn't include everything. Also powder and primer info would be appreciated. Around Christmas time everything fire arms related is hard to find so I need a list of every single thing that I need to get started including what type of powder, etc. if I need to clean the brass by hand that's fine but I need to know what to get. Keeping it basic is fine as this will be more of a hobby than a way to save money, and I can always upgrade equipment down the road. I just want a list of every single thing that I need to " just get by" and enjoy the hobby. Thanks guys.

P.S. what I would be starting out with is .300 win mag, 30-06, .223 as far as rifles go ( most interested in) and 9mm and .45 acp. I'm more interested in loading rifle calibers.

Derrick
Old November 23, 2013, 10:15 PM   #2
FiveInADime

Step one: find the Reloading, Handloading, Bullet Casting sub-section of this forum. There's a bunch of stickys to help you get started.

Everyone is going to tell you to buy a Loading Manual before you buy any equipment so you can read the instructional portion and get familiar with the processes, terminology, and concepts before you buy a bunch of stuff.

Instead of the Lee $100 kit I would buy the $100 Lee Classic Cast press and piece together everything else you need.
Old November 23, 2013, 10:26 PM   #3
4runnerman

That would be a very big list. press,dies,brass,primers,caliper,,case trimmer,AOL gauge,Kinetic hammer,Powder,bullets,ect,ect. The list goes on and on.

Powder- You will get a million suggestions,same with primers and bullets.
If you are looking into getting all this at once for all the calibers you have listed, I would think you are going to be pushing over $600.00 to get started.

I would suggest to start with the one you shoot the most and work up from there. Also,Buy a few reloading manuals to.
Old November 23, 2013, 10:36 PM   #4
epr105

I agree get a reloading manual and do some reading. I likemthe speer manual but any of them will give you the basics. There are also some beginner guides. Please do some reading before you invest in equipment. It will save you momey in the long run.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:13 AM   #5
Metal god

this thread will be moved soon but
http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 24, 2013, 05:57 AM   #6
jmr40

In addition to seeking advice on the internet I'd find someone locally to help serve as a mentor. When I got started I bought everything used from a friend who had gotten out of shooting years earlier and just had a lot of stuff laying around unused. I simply asked him one day if he would consider selling his loading equipment. We settled on a price and I bought his gear.He came over, helped me set everything up and walked me through all the steps. The guy at our local gunshop was also helpful when it came time to purchase powder, bullets etc.

You just can't get that kind of help on the internet. But since starting I have picked up a lot of helpful tips about specific loads, bullets and powders. Don't be afraid to ask for advice about what loads others have had good luck with. I wouldn't blindly load up something I read off the internet, but you will see trends. If a lot of people seem to be having good luck with a certain powder in 30-06, then chances are good it will probably work well for you. Double check others loads in a manual, start on the low side and work up.

The one piece of equipment that many guys are reluctant to buy is a chronograph. I loaded for several years without one. That was a mistake. I was working blind with no idea how fast my bullets were shooting or how close I really was to a maximum load. As a result I tended to be quite conservative. When I finally got one I discovered that most of my loads were quite a bit slower than I thought. Much slower than factory ammo I could have bought.

After buying the Chronograph I can now safely work up loads that are at least the equal of factory, and quite often faster. Based on the speeds I'm getting I know when I am getting close to a maximum load without ever going over. If you depend on traditional pressure signs you are already WELL over a max load before they show up.
Old November 24, 2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Hawg

Get a reloading manual before you even look at presses. There is no single powder for all calibers. Dies are cartridge specific and Lee dies run 30-40 bucks per set. Powder runs around 35 bucks per pound. Jacketed bullets start around 20 bucks per 100 and go up. Primers run around 35 bucks per thousand. The Lee kit will get you started but you will want to upgrade some of the components later.
Old November 24, 2013, 07:45 AM   #8
markm_04

Whew I am glad I am not paying Mississippi prices for reloading components. Powder:$15-25 per lb., FMJ's: $16 per 100 CCI Primers: $29 per 1K.

I do like the Lee dies and for the price they cannot be beat. I agree a manual is the first step but who says you can't go ahead and get a press or a kit if you can find a good deal on one? I would recommend reading a manual (or 2) before doing any actual reloading but it doesnt hurt to get your hands on some equipment at the same time so you can familiarize yourself with it as your are reading about it.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Picher

I agree that a good loading manual is necessary.

After that, you should start with a good press like an RCBS Rockchucker, if possible. It will last you a lifetime!!! A powder scale is next, necessary to assure the proper weight of charges. A powder trickler is a good idea also. If you can't afford a powder measure like the RCBS, you can dip charges and weigh each one until you can get one. A deburrer is necessary early on and after about five loadings, a trimmer is also a good buy. A stainless vernier caliper is also necessary to assure that cases aren't getting too long.

Dies/shellholder for one caliber is next. I'd start with the .223 Rem, because supplies are less expensive than for other cartridges and you can shoot more and test loads for less money. The .223 is a nice cartridge to shoot at the range because it's so accurate, barrels heat more slowly and recoil is not going to affect results as much as with the others you want to load.

Some important procedures: 1. Cases in a loading block should always be neck down until filled with powder; 2. Do one operation on each case before moving to the next operation; 3. Starting loads should be more than halfway between the recommended starting load and maximum load for each powder; 4. Use the components (esp. cases, primer, powder) recommended in the loading manual, if possible. If not available, be sure to use the minimum recommended load; 5. Visually check powder level in each case to assure it's got the same amount of powder; 6. Seat bullets at the same depth as factory to assure functioning. With more experience, you can fit them to your chamber.

Good luck!!
Old November 24, 2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
Whew I am glad I am not paying Mississippi prices for reloading components.
I wish I wasn't I don't buy FMJ's so they may be cheaper than the ballistic tips I use and I usually cast my own pistol bullets.
Old November 24, 2013, 09:34 AM   #11
MJFlores

My take, is just how I started over 20 years ago. Buy yourself a basic RCBS reloading kit, one with the Rockchucker press. It'll be a savings, it'll come with a very good reloading manual which you can take time to read and learn the ropes, and you'll get the Rockchucker press which you'll never regret having. I usually hate kits of any kind, but you'll use every item that RCBS packages in their kits and it's all very good stuff backed for life. I think it's important to start off with a single stage press as you learn what everything should "feel" like and it forces handling and thus inspection between each step. I'm still using my Rockchucker and dont ever plan on changing to a progressive press setup.

I agree with finding someone local who you can learn from, or at the very least some of the great Youtube videos available. Good luck, it's a great past time.
Old November 24, 2013, 10:10 AM   #12
603Country

Yes, if you can spring for the money, go with the RCBS reloading kit. Might as well get going with the good stuff. Lee gear is Ok, but RCBS gear is lifetime. They just replaced a $12 item that I bought 30 years ago, and they replaced it for free. Go ahead and get the Rockchucker press. It'll be the last one you will ever need and your kids and grandkids will be using it eventually.
Old November 24, 2013, 10:34 AM   #13
Dc777

What does a manual run? Money is tight right now as several customers owe me money. I'll be ok financially around Dec 10th. I'm dreading not being able to order everything I need because after Christmas I'm sure it will take atleast a month before stuff becomes available again.
Old November 24, 2013, 10:37 AM   #14
Dc777

I didn't notice there was a reloading section until one of you pointed it out to me. Thanks
Old November 24, 2013, 10:48 AM   #15
stealintv

If you are set on Lee, get "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. The book will be an advertisement for all Lee products, but you will have a full understanding of the product you purchased. The book will be about $20. Read that first to make sure you will be committed to your investment. I agree with buying just the press and piecing the rest. The kit will come with a scale, but you will find an electric scale is faster. A kinetic puller and powder trickler are "must-have" items you won't find in a kit either.

I further agree with others about the single stage press for beginners. You will learn the intricacies of each stage; which is important for your safety.

As far as which powder/primer, once you read the book(s) you will understand why no one has answered that question.

Read first! $20 book is cheaper than the few hundred you shell out for something you may not enjoy or find you have the time for. Once you get going its all good. There is a learning curve though. As someone else stated, the best thing after reading would be to find a mentor on the subject. Youtube works too!
Old November 24, 2013, 12:16 PM   #16
Dc777

I'm not set on a certain brand. I'm set on the cheapest. My line of work is cutting grass and landscaping, so come spring I can start upgrading things as I see fit. I just want to do some reloading over the winter for fun. I think reloading is something I will enjoy greatly.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:55 PM   #17
4runnerman

Dc777--Your last post will come back to haunt you. DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPEST.
This holds true for your dies and all. If you have to get one piece at a time-so be it. Don't cut corners on your equipment by any means. RCBS is great quality and best warranty around. I do not buy RCBS dies,but their presses are hard to beat. Single stage or as others have mentioned rock chucker. Dies- this is what assembles your cartridges-Do you really want cheap stuff?. Buy one part at a time and slowly get what you need.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:05 PM   #18
rlc323

I started with this book. Wife has a Kindle and I got it for less than $15. You can order it paperback for less than $20.

http://www.amazon.com/The-ABCs-Of-Re...ding+books+lee

Then I bought this and it has most of the hardware but dies/shellholders and case trimmers that you need to get going.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...prodID=RC09357

Last edited by rlc323; November 24, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:05 PM   #19
Metal god

Quote:
I'm set on the cheapest
Never the best way to go about anything . Yes at times the less expensive items can be good but starting with the mind set to go cheap will cost you more in the end .

If you really are dead set on spending as little as possible . I recommend taking your time and buying used . If you look often and keep an eye out for deals . you should be able to take your time and let the deals come to you . when doing it this way you will need to have some money set aside so you can buy the second you see the deal . The great deals don't last long and you need to be ready to buy .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 24, 2013, 01:19 PM   #20
Dc777

I'm not rich, so what's wrong with cheap? Lee seems to have good reviews, and that's what I consider cheap.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:25 PM   #21
salvadore

I think you can get away with a Lee kit, I started with a leeloader 45 years ago and it didn't keep me from adding and improving.

Buy some books, Lyman, Lee, and if you're a hunter you may know someone that reloads already. Pick his brain.

Once you get started you'll likely have a new hobby to support
Old November 24, 2013, 02:00 PM   #22
Metal god

Quote:
I'm not rich, so what's wrong with cheap?
lol , you'll see when you have 2 scales two sets of the same caliber dies a cheap lee trimmer another brand thats broken and the good one you finally bought .

Nothing wrong with cheap . We all want to save money the issue is only thinking cheap .

Don't get me wrong , your not on the wrong track . You just might want to rethink your mind set . This is why I said take your time . You can save good money if you let the deals come to you . There is a lot more then just the press kit you will need . If you rush in to this buying cheap , it could cost more . I bought my Hornady classic set for $249.00 shipped save almost $100 by waiting for a good deal .

The Lee is good to start with so go for it . Just don't always go with the cheapest because you need that component . It will bite you in the rump later

Old November 24, 2013, 02:07 PM   #23
FiveInADime

I would get the Lee kit that comes with the hand priming tool instead of the Anniversary kit.

Here are things from Lee that I still use:
-hand priming tool
-scale (it's fussy, but accurate)
-trimming system (I have the ball handle trimmer)
-chamfer/deburr tool
-Collet neck-sizing dies
-"Dead Length" seating dies

I don't like Lee:
-full length sizing dies
-their standard seating dies
-standard trimmer head (that comes in your kit)
-Lube
-Scale (I still use mine but money is well spent on an upgrade)
-Safety Prime system

Last edited by FiveInADime; November 24, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old November 24, 2013, 02:26 PM   #24
Mtngoat690

I agree with JMR40. The best thing you can do is find a mentor. Maybe go and reload with them before you buy? By doing this you can get a better feel for what you really need (because you mentioned budget) and what you can get by without. This is how I got started down the path of reloading many years ago. Not to mention you could learn a lot of things from an old pro that you won't ever get from the internet or a book.
Old November 24, 2013, 03:06 PM   #25
Metal god

Quote:
Not to mention you could learn a lot of things from an old pro that you won't ever get from the internet or a book.
I agree , I did not do it that way but I learned or at least understood more after loading my first 20 rounds then I did after reading or researching the 3 months leading up to that .