The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 19, 2013, 05:17 PM   #101
Ryu825

I keep a loaded chambered decocked Beretta 92fs under my pillow. I've thought about keeping the slide open in case I grab it in my dreams but after having a vivid dream where I actually shot someone and found my gun untouched when I awoke, all worries of accidentally shooting my gun dissapeared
Old September 19, 2013, 06:00 PM   #102
Garycw

Loaded gun within reach of bed. Bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu825 View Post
I keep a loaded chambered decocked Beretta 92fs under my pillow. I've thought about keeping the slide open in case I grab it in my dreams but after having a vivid dream where I actually shot someone and found my gun untouched when I awoke, all worries of accidentally shooting my gun dissapeared
I toss & turn too much and arms under pillow for that. The nightstand turned just right .45 next to flashlight. Mossy 500 between bed and nightstand. Guess it depends what kind of noise I hear. In a light sleeper and fully wake up Quick!

Last edited by Garycw; September 19, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old September 21, 2013, 12:11 AM   #103
Ryu825

toss and turn too much

In that case I understand. Wouldn't wanna point it at the wife by mistake .
Idk where I read this, it may have even been here, but this guy was talking about how he used to keep his gun on a nightstand and how there's nothing to fear with his gun so close especially since he's a light sleeper. One night his roommate went into his room while he was asleep and took his gun off the nightstand and I think he put it in the drawer or somethin then left a note that read "bang you're dead" where the gun was. That one stuck. Maybe you can stick the gun somewhere between the nightstand and the bed like on the box spring. You'd have to move the mattress over a bit but it'll hide the gun well in the dark while remaining easily accessible.
Old September 21, 2013, 12:14 AM   #104
Ryu825

Oh wait you already keep something there. Disregard lol
Old October 2, 2013, 10:09 AM   #105
MountainDrew

I decided to not have a loaded gun under my pillow after a strange experience. I woke up one morning and tried to turn on the lamp. Nothing happened. I felt around in the dark, and there was no bulb! Waking up a little more, I thought about it, and without knowing how I knew, I looked on the shelf/drawer below the lamp and found the bulb. In my "sleep" I unscrewed the bulb and placed it on a shelf. If I can do that without waking, I don't need a gun within reach. Just my thoughts.
Old October 3, 2013, 11:14 PM   #106
doofus47

ryu825:
Quote:
I had a buddy who stopped doing that after he heard the phone ring one night and woke up saying "hello" with a barrel in his ear.
If you're not awake, you really can't say what you're going to be doing.
Old October 3, 2013, 11:54 PM   #107
Frank Ettin
Staff

Five pages is probably enough. The ground seems to have been covered.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread