The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 24, 2013, 06:22 PM   #51
Winchester_73

the beat goes on, yea the beat goes on...
Old March 24, 2013, 06:50 PM   #52
Grizz12

I just had to have a new Henry 22mag sent back before loading it because the mag tube was not tight to the barrel and you could see where the swage messed up the barrel.

Heres my theory - I own a small business and for the past few years finding ANYONE willing to work hard and do a good job without needing a babysitter is nearly impossible.

That being said, every firearm related business has been swamped since Dec. and most have gone to 24/7 production just to try and keep up with demand. That means hiring a bunch of people, people who really dont give a darn about anything more than a paycheck.

I am going to hold off buying anything new for a few more months, maybe years, until these companies spend more time evaluating applicants. Lots of good used stuff to choose from if you look around.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:02 PM   #53
PT-92

Wow--I bought my Henry right before the tragic events of late last year and it has got to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing guns (trying to avoid saying "prettiest" in this manly forum ) in my entire modest collection--I mean I'm talking 'above the mantle piece' like workmanship which really surprised me for such an affordably priced rifle.

I won't reiterate on my earlier post but QC is a HUGE problem in the firearms industry, both domestic and abroad IMO.

ETA: I was speaking to some Kin in NJ and the Henry Plant up there was significantly impacted by Hurricane Sandy (apparently out-of-commission for weeks...).

Last edited by PT-92; March 24, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:10 PM   #54
Zhillsauditor

I have a single ten right now that is alright, but I have had three bad experiences with ruger and just don't consider buying one anymore unless it is cheap (e.g. I got the single ten for $297 otd). And I had to do some work on the trigger to get the single ten acceptable, and I still need to shim it a bit.
Old March 25, 2013, 04:12 PM   #55
Super Sneaky Steve

Well fellas, the plot thickens.

I was just about to send my lemon back when I saw this video.
http://youtu.be/qV3wr2ABoRg

So I called the guy and asked how much for the .327 conversion. $1600 and about a years time.

Ok, so how about a .22 WMR? $80 plus $50 for an action job.

SOLD!

My little bearcat is now on it's way to Texas second day air. I have a feeling this guy will do it right.
Old March 25, 2013, 06:14 PM   #56
-Xero-

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm thinking corroded brass, dirty chamber, lack of lube.
Two brand new single action revolvers, .22LR, stainless steel cylinders both having trouble with factory Winchester loads.
OK, following this thread, and thinking about some stuff I've seen "not at all right, right out of the box" (quality, brand name frame lock knife, COLT AR), I'm beginning to realize that most work today is done on CNC -- computer control machine work. Automation moves the control away from the machinist and onto the deck of the machine -- and the machine don't care!

I'm thinking too that any firearms I've purchased recently have been at least 15 yrs. old.
Old March 25, 2013, 06:30 PM   #57
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
OK, more news to report.

First time firing the new cylinder. After the second shot it locked up. I couldn't rotate or remove the clinder and only a fragment hit the paper.

What happend was the bullet hit the side of the barrel creating enough lead splatter to lock it up.

It's now very out of time.
Ouch, a chill just ran down my back. Lucky it was a .22. I had the same thing happen to me with a .44 Magnum. Cost me a bloody face. Good luck with the conversion.
Old March 25, 2013, 06:39 PM   #58
Revolver1

Ruger never has been, nor ever will be a quality product. Garbage for the masses!
Old March 25, 2013, 07:01 PM   #59
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Ruger never has been, nor ever will be a quality product. Garbage for the masses!
So, they're only good enough for second-class citizens, and you're better than everyone else?
Old March 26, 2013, 03:03 PM   #60
mrayw

Taurus

All my family,freinds, and neighbors work in the USA. None work in Brazil. Comparing Ruger to Taurus quality wise is a low blow to a great USA company!
Old March 26, 2013, 08:09 PM   #61
Blue Duck

Well, I got to say, Ruger is pretty bad on quality control. I have owned a lot of Ruger firearms and while I have had lemons with most every brand, I would have to say that I have had more Rugers with problems then about any other decent brand.

I bought a Ruger single 10 and only found some Winchester Bird shot rounds that would chamber without problems. I tried several brands of long rifle ball and none would chamber. The cylinders were too tight. Ruger's quality control rate of failure is high. I also had problems with a Ruger 45ACP convertible allowing too much headspace, and causing plenty of problems. I have also had and fixed for myself and friends guns, problems with hangups when cocking the hammer. It seems Ruger will sometimes leave a burr on the transfer bar and you have take the gun apart and get rid of the burr to fix it.

I also had problems with burr on the bolt of an old model Ruger 77 rifle, causing misfires. Had a Super Blackhawk that skipped because of burrs left on the ratchet notches, and I have seen plenty of other Rugers with problems that didn't belong to me.

Get a good Ruger and you have a fine gun, but darn it, I have had my share of problems with their guns, So, I can see where the OP is aggravated.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:34 PM   #62
rodfac

Well said Revolver 1...just how many have you owned....personally, I've had a dozen and exactly a dozen good ones...their SR1911 is the best .45 I've ever owned. You need to get some experience...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 27, 2013, 03:20 PM   #63
wvshooter

I've got a GP100, an SP 101 and a Mini 14 tactical. Each is a well made, finely crafted weapon. On the other hand I've got a Taurus 22 snubbie that won't allow spent cases to eject after several rounds have been fired.

I'll stick with Ruger.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:11 AM   #64
robmkivseries70

Sad to have to note this, I bought an SP-101 in .22 and it had some timing problems. I have never had to send a Ruger back before but they did a fine job and ended up replacing a lot of the internal parts. I had to send a S&W 625 back as one of the holes for the pin guides on the ejector was drilled into the side of the chamber wall.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:30 PM   #65
PT-92

That's the scary and disappointing thing is that this QC problem is across the board anymore. Honestly, the best guns I have purchased lately as far as no QC problems have all been from Turkey.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:26 PM   #66
Super Sneaky Steve

I had my little bearcat fixed up right.

Cost me a good chunk of change but Alan from Single Action Service is a true master. I'll test fire this weekend.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:56 PM   #67
Gdawgs

Sweet! Can't wait to hear how it works for you. That is really a sharp looking gun.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:16 PM   #68
Carmady

Super Sneaky Steve: "I had my little bearcat fixed up right."

Does it shoot spark plugs?
Old May 10, 2013, 02:11 PM   #69
Dave T

Look at the un-even thickness of the OP's trigger guard in the last picture above, then tell me about Ruger's quality control.

Dave
Old May 10, 2013, 06:42 PM   #70
rclark

As a side note, my Single Six chambers the Winchester brand but they are 'tight'. Just finished up a box of them. The Federal drop right in. Talking .22LR.

Hopefully you'll now have a good Bearcat S.S.S and it will shoot to POA with no 'problems'!

As for my Rugers having problems.... My very first Ruger .357 BH, back when I was a teenager (80ish), had tight head spacing and had to be sent back. They fixed and tuned it for me at the factory. Nary a problem, until the transfer bar broke just a few months ago. They sent me a new one free of charge. All my .45s did require reaming to .452. Some were really tight, some were 'almost but not quite'. 20 minutes at the most and job done... My stainless .45 Colt/.45 ACP Flattop had a high faced loading gate which would catch on the case rim as it rotated, locking up the gun. Quite a bit of elbow grease and some emery cloth took care of that issue. Not sure how that wasn't caught at the factory though if they test fired it.... Also, my old Mark II had the back of the bolt come off (what you pull on to chamber a round). Many many rounds later I might add.... Fixed for free with a new one piece bolt. So while I've had some issues with a few of my revolvers/pistols, overall my overall experience has been 'positive' and customer service has been excellent.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:03 PM   #71
Waspinator

Quote:
Dave T Wrote:
Look at the un-even thickness of the OP's trigger guard in the last picture above, then tell me about Ruger's quality control.
I think that is a trick of the eye. You are looking at the flat edge and not accounting for the internal/external radius that is towards the front of the guard.

In the picture you referenced, look at the flat just below the trigger. Now follow it towards the front, you can see where they started the radius. Now look at the picture above it. Look at the interior of the trigger guard and follow it towards the barrel again. See what looks like a shadow in the inside? that is actually the bottom of the radius. Now, follow it again and account for that radius and you will see it is the same thickness all the way around. I imagine they do that for comfort.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:55 PM   #72
skidder

Super Sneaky Steve-- I hear ya bud. I've had 3 defective Rugers in the last 5 months. Two sent in with defects "beyond repair". Their over production has given way to poor quality.

I'm a "dyed in the wool" Ruger fanboy, but I will never buy another new production Ruger. I can't believe I'm saying this, but their new production guns are a crap shoot.

P.S.
Just because QC has been slipping at Ruger does not make a Taurus anything more than a Taurus. Been there done that. At least Ruger sent me two replacements instead of the same gun in worse condition.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old May 12, 2013, 10:44 AM   #73
Pezo

Pretty comical thread. I own 4 ruger da revolvers shoot them often and never had a problem. Very reliable weapons for serious work and fun.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:27 AM   #74
coldbeer

Ruger revolvers are just as good as S&W's revolvers and probably a little stronger imho. I'm not gonna stop buying their products because one guy on the internet had a problem and I'll never buy another poj Taurus that's for damn sure.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:42 AM   #75
John D

Hmmmm...I guess I've just been lucky with my GP100, SBH, 2 different Mark II's, and my Deerfield carbine! All are super-tough and shoot flawlessly.

This post has had over 4,200 hits - is it any surprise that there are a few people out there with complaints? I won't hesitate if I see a Ruger that catches my eye...