The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1
droptrd

Win NT pistol brass

Man this stuff is annoying. I buy once fired all the time. It's common to end up with about 1% NTs in a bag of once fired from my usual supplier. I just ordered from a guy on gunbroker and ended up with 60% NT out of 2K. Supposed to be "mostly Speer". I'm [angry]. This stuff is more trouble than it's worth and with 60% of the lot, I can't throw it away. I made the purchase about 2 months ago and never checked it til now. I sent an email but I'm not expecting much

If you are not familiar with Win NT brass, Mostly all of it has crimped primer pockets and ever after you swage them, the pockets are very tite. Pain in the but for pistol brass. I've been screwed

Just ranting.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 19, 2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Removing profanity
Old March 3, 2013, 01:19 PM   #2
kostner

One day at the indoor range I found a half full five gallon bucket of 45 NT that someone had sorted and returned because I guess didnt have a small prime system on his press. I have two SDB's 45 & 9mm so just swapped out the primer systems (four screws) and reloaded them. It was a sweet deal and goes to show folks that reload will share when the opportunity arises. If I'd meet this person would have invited him over some evening to use my press on his NT's. My eyes are not that great anymore and NTs do get into my brass but can usually feel that the primer isn't seating. NT have never causeed the reloader more grief than then the 40SW. Now we have to deal with a 9mm in a 40 and a 40 in a 45 case.. Just part of the hobby uh?
Old March 3, 2013, 02:23 PM   #3
CrustyFN

Quote:
Win NT pistol brass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man this stuff is annoying. I buy once fired all the time. It's common to end up with about 1% NTs in a bag of once fired from my usual supplier. I just ordered from a guy on gunbroker and ended up with 60% NT out of 2K. Supposed to be "mostly Speer". I'm [angry]. This stuff is more trouble than it's worth and with 60% of the lot, I can't throw it away. I made the purchase about 2 months ago and never checked it til now. I sent an email but I'm not expecting much

If you are not familiar with Win NT brass, Mostly all of it has crimped primer pockets and ever after you swage them, the pockets are very tite. Pain in the but for pistol brass. I've been screwed

Just ranting.
From what I heard the NT brass is not crimped, they are small primers. Have you tried seating a small primer before you do anything to the primer pocket? I know a few guys that reload them and they like them better than the large primer brass.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 19, 2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Removing profanity
Old March 3, 2013, 02:28 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I have loaded a few hundred of them in .45 ACP none were crimped. All went bang. All were lost on that shooting trip. They work just the same.
Old March 3, 2013, 04:59 PM   #5
eman

The "WIN" NT Brass was the first small primer brass in 45acp. It is designed for indoor range use and all components are Non Toxic thus the NT designation. Supposedly the manufacturers say they must use small primers to produce the non toxic ammo, I think it's a cost saving measure.
The Federal 45acp ammo sold by WalleyWorld is small primer and Speere and several other manufacturers have followed suite with small primer 45acp..
Old March 19, 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
droptrd

Yeah forgot to mention this 40sw brass
Old March 19, 2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

never run across any myself... have heard the NT stuff has a huge primer flash hole... may be why they went to the small primer pockets ???

anyone have any issues with the big flash holes & standard primers ???
Old March 19, 2013, 04:55 PM   #8
lamarw

You can also add some Blazer .45 ACP brass to the list of small primer pain. I just started keeping a small pile of small primers next to the press.
Old March 19, 2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Fire_Moose

Re: Win NT pistol brass

When I first started reloading, I had about 20-30 of the win NT cases. I did some tests to see how different head stamps performed against each other. The win NT was quite a bit better each time.

Since I had so few they went in with my win/wcc /win NT box

This.was with 9mm
Old March 19, 2013, 07:55 PM   #10
TROOPER2

I have 2 thousand 45ACP WIN NT brass all have small primers and all are crimped. To much trouble i put them back on the shelf.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:43 PM   #11
steelman762

I have reloaded the NT. I does seem little tighter but not a problem. I use the WSP primers. Sometimes I will use a deburing tool and chamfer the hole a little before priming.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:59 PM   #12
droptrd

I just made an adapter for my dillon super swage to roll the crimp out of the 40 sw. An extra step but it works pretty well. I put a bunch of washers around the pin on the swager to support the 40sw case then wrapped it with electrical tape to keep it together. It just slides on and off.