The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
bmitch300wby

Federal Nickel Cases

Hello all, I am working up a load for a friend of mine who shoots a Rem 700 in 300win. He prefers 180 Nosler Partition. I worked up several different loads using the partition and different powders and 3 different cases. One case was a Federal brass case which chambered and fired fine. The second 3 were loaded with Winchester Nickel cases with IMR7828 which shot great (sub MOA). The last 3 were loaded with RL22 in Federal Nickel cases. The Federal Nickel cases would not chamber in his Rem700. They would just stop 1/2-3/4 the way into the chamber and had to be pushed out with a cleaning rod. All the cases were full-length sized at the same time, all trimmed to the same length, at the same time and all were set at the same COL. He shoots Federal Premium factory ammo, which were the once-fired cases I sized, trimmed and reloaded.

Has anyone else had similar problems with the Federal Nickel cases? I weighed the Winchester and the Federal cases and the Federal case was 7-8 grains heavier. Which tells me its a thicker case. Should I have neck sized them only?

I've loaded Federal nickel cases in 308 for my AR10 and have had no chambering problems,which is understandable.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Wyoredman

I have had the same problem with Winchester nickle cases in my .270 wsm. I had to adjust the die another 1/4 to 1/2 turn closer to the shell holder. There was quite a caming effect! I asume the nickle coating is not allowing the brass to fully resize without the extra force applied by turning the die down a bit extra.

Try adjusting the die bit by bit and testing the case in the rifle. If it doesn't fit, adjust some more, test, repeat until the case fits.

I finally quit reloading nickle cases and stick to staight brass, now.
Old March 11, 2012, 10:56 PM   #3
bmitch300wby

Thank you for the tip. My die is pretty close to the bottom but I will try to move it down more. If I don't get the results I want, I will do as you did and forget loading nickel plated cases.
Old March 13, 2012, 01:02 PM   #4
MOshooter65202

That's odd I've been loading nickel Federal brass for 20 years and have never run into that in any of my 700 Rems?
Old March 13, 2012, 01:29 PM   #5
William T. Watts

Not all chambers are cut with the same reamer to the same depth, they are all different, don't compare nickle to brass cases, nor all reloading dies! I have had the same experience between different head stamp cases.. This is a classic reason for not mixing cases when loading, one or the other.. William