The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 9, 2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Ideal Tool

7X57 cast-bullet hunting?

Hello, I have a German 7X57 Mauser sporter. I have been experimenting with 150 & 180gr. cast-bullet loads. Would this be adequate for whitetail deer or feril hogs? I know the speed will have to be up there, I have read where a good cast bullet acts like a partition bullet..the nose usually breaks away leaving the body of bullet to drive through. I am concerned about the small dia. however. Thanks!
Old December 9, 2010, 03:21 AM   #2
Scorch

It will work just fine. Especially in a European rifle with the tight 1:8.6" twist of the 7X57, you will have to gas-check them, but cast bullets will do the job. And no, the tip will not break off, it will flatten a bit but will drive through.
Old December 9, 2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Rangefinder

I'm guessing you intend to start casting your own?? FANTASTIC! Obviously, it's still going to be all about shot placement, but to answer (or rather support the answer scorch already gave you) YES---you ought to do well with it.

However--if you're new to casting or loading & shooting cast bullets, I STRONGLY suggest spending some time studying the topic in depth first. It's extremely rewarding (many of my firearms will never fire a J-bullet again), but if you get off on the wrong foot, it has the ability to draw profanities from you that you never knew existed before. There are a mess of us here that can help save you from that kind of increased blood pressure.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 9, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Ideal Tool

Hello, and thanks for reply Scorch & Rangefinder. Yes the rifle has the fast twist. When I bought it, the dealer said it was pre-war...I'm thinking 1930's, maybe even 20's. Found out it was pre-WW1! Fine shiney bore, but large groove dia..which is probably normal for Germans.... .2873". ordered custom nose-pour form Fred Leeth at Pioneer Products. 150gr. is shaped like the old Lyman 31141g.c., 180gr. is copy of the old 311290. Bullets drop from my alloy .289 dia. The rifle has claw mounts with a Ziess 4x. Mounted on matted full length rib is 3 leaf folding rear & bead front. Fancy horn trigger guard & butplate, engraved animal scene in bass-relief floor plate, engraved action is color-cased. This rifle likes heavy loads! I have had time only for 2 range visits, but so far the 150's are shooting into 11/4" at 100yd. I am using H4895. Bullets are not Lino, but WW & Steriotype. I would love to use it on one of those huge feral hogs, but was concerned with using cast in such a small bore.
Old December 9, 2010, 10:58 PM   #5
publius

Absolutely it will work and you don't need to push them at high velocities to work, in fact you shouldn't push a cast bullet too hard. castboolits.com is another great resource of information.
Old December 9, 2010, 11:26 PM   #6
Rangefinder

Quote:
castboolits.com is another great resource of information.
Amen to that one. You'll find me there as well---same name.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 12, 2010, 11:11 AM   #7
sc928porsche

With a fasts twist rate, you do not want the bullet traveling too fast. The lead will deform and not hold true to the riflening. You will also want to be sure to size the bullet and use a gas check. The hardness of the lead mixture you use will be determined by the speed. Best way to test a hunting lead bullet is to fire it onto a steel target (1/2"or more thick) at 100 yds. If the bullet splatters, it is too hard. If penetration is poor and contact area is large, the bullet is too soft. Once you have the right mixture, it will make a great hunting bullet. I would also recommend a hard lube and a heater attached to your lube/sizer.