The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 1, 2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Tatsumi67

Suddenly I want an SBS, please tell me it's a passing fancy.

I'd guess every serious shooter ponders going through the BAFTE waiting game at least once. Suddenly, now, I want an SBS. But I'm too poor and too young to validate such a purchase or the wait time.

I'm on very good terms with my local CLEO and I know a great deal of gunsmiths and dealers that could get me whatever I wanted. I'm leaning toward the Serbu 870 even though my primary HD gun is a Mossy 500.

Please tell me I should not bother with it!

P.S. I know SHTF threads are not allowed but would an SBS warrant it's weight in a pack?
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old October 1, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Joat

Quote:
Yea, that's not gonna happen.

The Serbu is a very nice piece to start off with and has the benefit of being an AOW so the transfer tax is only $5.00.

I do however, caution you to resist the urge for as long as possible. Those dang things (stamps) just multiply. After the first stamp it gets easier to rationalize the next one. (It's kind of like losing your virginity. After the first time, what's the big deal?) Plus, once you subcome to the lure of the stamp and add a SBR to the fold, you'll need to suppress it. Then...

Joat
Old October 1, 2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Skans

I've never seen the fascination in having a short barreled shotgun. Not much punch other than over short distances. A Handgun is far more compact, easier to use and powerful enough.

Seems to me that a cut-down shotgun is sort of a neutered shotgun - took all the 3@!!s out of it.
Old October 1, 2010, 01:20 PM   #4
flight954

Skans wrote:
Quote:
Seems to me that a cut-down shotgun is sort of a neutered shotgun - took all the 3@!!s out of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovL9I2iQmM

Go for the Serbu or the KEG12 $725-850 + Transfer fee from dealer +$5.00. Or find a beater $175-how much you want to spend + $200.

Last edited by flight954; October 1, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old October 1, 2010, 01:25 PM   #5
KLRANGL

OP, is there a specific reason you want an SBS over an SBR?
I too want to SBS my 870 at some point, but I feel going SBR would be more practical (especially in the you know what scenario we really aren't supposed to talk about)
Old October 1, 2010, 01:58 PM   #6
4thPointofContact

A lot of it depends on just how short you want to go. Cutting a shotgun down to 14 inches will have negligible effect on either velocity or pattern. Cutting it down to resemble a Serbu will definitely affect how many rounds it holds and turn it into more of a niche weapon.
Old October 1, 2010, 02:13 PM   #7
demigod

Quote:
Don't bother. Seriously... I never shoot mine. I'd get rid of it if it, but it's not worth the hastle of doing a transfer.

I used to think my shorty wingmaster was completely worthless until I found some flight control 00 buck. Now it groups decent, but I still don't shoot it.
Old October 2, 2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Willie Lowman

SBS are so useless that I bought a second one. I don't know about the shorter barrel 'neutering' the gun. I get 10" to 14" patterns at 30 yards using Federal buffered 00 buck in my SBS 590A1s. One day I may take them to the sporting clays range just to see what kind of responses I get.
Old October 2, 2010, 04:31 PM   #9
VUPDblue

I live in the great state of Indiana and SBS is a no-go for us. If it were, there would be a 14" Saiga12 in my safe right now...
Old October 5, 2010, 04:01 PM   #10
nightwolf1974

i've too wanted to get into the world of SBS. i'm unsure and confused on points. i don't want to hijack the thread, but i'd like to ask a couple of questions.

how does one go about getting the SBS that one likes if all they see are pumps and semi-autos? i can't find any side by sides or over and unders that i like.

can one cut down an existing shotgun after doing the paper work, sending them the #s, and getting the stamp from the ATF?

does a class 2 manufacturer (sp) have to do all the work? does the class 3 dealer do the cutting?

you can see what's confusing me.

thanks
Old October 5, 2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Joat

Quote:
can one cut down an existing shotgun after doing the paper work, sending them the #s, and getting the stamp from the ATF?
Yes, you file a Form 1 (Application to Make and Register a Firearm) You will have to have the manufactuer's name, city and state engraved on the gun.

Quote:
does a class 2 manufacturer (sp) have to do all the work? does the class 3 dealer do the cutting?
No and NO. It can be a DIY project. On the Form 1, you are the manufacturer of the SBS.

Joat
Old October 5, 2010, 09:28 PM   #12
gyvel

Quote:
Quote:

No and NO. It can be a DIY project. On the Form 1, you are the manufacturer of the SBS.
Don't forget, though, that you have to have YOUR name engraved "conspicuously" on the gun if you DIY. And ATF has specific standards for the engraving.
Old October 6, 2010, 03:18 PM   #13
nightwolf1974

gyvel, can you be more specific?
Old October 9, 2010, 01:35 AM   #14
gyvel

Quote:
gyvel, can you be more specific?
If you make an SBS as a DIY project after you get the proper approval from BATF, you must have your name and location applied to the weapon in a visible location. The specs as to size and depth of engraving is spelled out in ATF regs on their website. (I believe it has to be at least .003" deep.)

You can apply the markings yourself, but most guys have it done by professionals so it looks better.
Old October 9, 2010, 04:48 AM   #15
rjrivero

Engraving needs to be 1/16" in height and at least .03" deep.
Old October 9, 2010, 07:31 PM   #16
gyvel

No, it's .003". Here is the ruling from 7.4:
Quote:
For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial
number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.
Old October 27, 2010, 10:11 PM   #17
silvercorvette

I thought SBS = side by side shotgun

Here is a side by side Remington 1740 shotgun

PS I should mention that everyone I know that shot a short barrel shotgun felt the were uncomfortable to shoor

Old October 28, 2010, 01:54 AM   #18
threecharley

that is not very deep . you can do that with a pencil engraver. a scratch in metal is close to that tolerance. a big scratch dont get me wrong. i did my own on my two sbr and there legal beagles.
Old October 28, 2010, 01:55 AM   #19
threecharley

ohh and i forgot to mention that i too have the sbs fever! lol
Old October 31, 2010, 12:15 AM   #20
vwfool

They are a blast; I loooove mine. It is a 12.5" 870 12 gauge with screw in chokes and a Remington (limbsaver) recoil pad. It is soooo easy to carry, patterns as well as any other shotgun with screw in chokes, and is not painfull with the limbsaver pad. Pistol grip with slugs or birdshot isn't bad. Pistol grip with 3" magnum buckshot is a little sharp. You need one; it is not a passing fancy. In fact, as mentioned by someone else, tax stamps have the habit of multiplying.

You can thank me later.

I know I was a BBBIIIIIIIGGGGGGG help.