The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 21, 2009, 02:34 PM   #1
T.A.Sharps

Q On 45ACP Hunting Deer.

This Winter I might be able to go deer hunting a second time actually, however the muzzle loader rifle I was going to buy for it ran out of funds in the past few months.

I go regularly during shotgun here, the only other options I have to hunt are bow and muzzle loader.

I can't hit a barn at 25yards with a bow in the spot I mean too, so I am not going to try to kill a deer that way.

However I have a glimmer of hope for a second hunting excursion. In the late Muzzle loader season here you can use your favorite handgun. Of which my favorite is my Sam Colt Army. However I have more trigger time with my XD 45 Tactical 5", it also seems more utilitarian for field pounding.

My question is what rounds should I get for hunting deer. I do not reload yet, and right now I would rather buy an expensive box of 20 than experiment with hand loads for the first time. (even though I have what I need to load 45ACP).

I was thinking of buffalo bore, or corbon +P heavy loads, ball for penetration.

People have said things about not penetrating enough or a lack of performance in some way on a deer, so 45ACP would be a horrible choice.

I never really heard of people talking too much about a 45 being not enough.

I don't see how it would be any worse than a bow. MAYBE I can see an arrow having the length of itself drive it through more uniformly. I can shoot 10" at 25yards with my 45ACP, a bow I couldn't constantly hold a minivan.

Just as a hunting comparison for the 45, not to make this a bow thread.

Thanks
Old November 21, 2009, 02:52 PM   #2
Trapp

2 cents..

Most everyone will tel you not to. You don't list a location so I will tell you not to...

If you do however: I hope you are where the deer are small (Virginia, Florida, Louisiana etc...). I would use Corbon DPX. (+p). Only shoot deer withing close range (30yds or less). Shooting 10" at 25 freehand? Try field positions and get your group down to 8" or less at 30yds.

Good luck!
Old November 21, 2009, 09:27 PM   #3
treg

Get them within 25 yards and you should be able to kill any deer in the woods with your .45 acp. I'd highly recommend a flat nose bullet such as those offered by Buffalo Bore (fmj - fp) and Fiochi (truncated cone), there are probably more - those are just the two I know of. You need bone busting full penetration, not a bullet that's designed to stop inside the target.

Last edited by treg; November 21, 2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old November 21, 2009, 09:44 PM   #4
T.A.Sharps

Please, if you want to argue the point that I shouldn't, then say why please, in a technical way. Too many people on here say their opinion, and nothing to back it up.

I figured since I was talking about a .45ACP that the range of 25 yards or less was a given.

Last deer I took was at 75 yards (not the 45) and got me 85lbs of paid for meat. Wasn't too big, however I earned the title of Buck master that year in my party, was not a good year, didn't even bother to bone them out.

The area I would be hunting would only yield a few rare 50 yard shots through the timber, so 25 yards is a good radius of a kill zone in that area for my 45's I figure.

I'm a decent shot, in the field I usually lean on a tree, or what ever I need to do to get the steadiest shot I can. I'm usually very conscious of that.

My Sam Colt 45 LC may be a little better, but that lady is to too purdy to take in the woods and thorns... again.
Old November 22, 2009, 12:11 AM   #5
RyeDaddy

Hmmm... My father in law killed a deer at about 15 yards with a ParaOrdnance 1911 shooting 230 grain FMJ Blazer Brass. Small Texas doe, but just crumbled on the spot and died. Broad side heart shot, with an exit. Not saying a 300 lb. monster deer would have the same result, but I've seen the 45 do it's work. Are deer really tougher than human beings? The 45 has been stopping bad guys for how long?

I'm a 10mm guy myself, don't even own an automatic 45, but I would give it a go with your XD if you can hit what you're aiming at. I would be sure of what shots I could definitely make at what range, and stick to that.
Old November 22, 2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Trapp

Quote:
Please, if you want to argue the point that I shouldn't, then say why please, in a technical way.
Are you talking about me!? jk..

Any way. Many states have handgun "power" laws. 500ftlbs of energy at 50 yds. The ACP does not meet that. Shooting out of an auto also decreases the energy. (slightly albeit, but it does) Check the regs for legality. Also check the regs for barrel length. I have seen 6" min before.

The reasoning behind the energy (whether or not "good" reasoning) is that it will need to go through bone and what not.

The reason I would say not to: People exaggerate their accuracy, people get worked up when the opportunity to kill arises (buck fever), a shot in the leg or low shoulder area will kill the deer, but it's only going to feed the yotes. For handgun hunting I use a self imposed accuracy of an 8" pie plate at 40yds. With that I would never shoot beyond 30yds. I know, not very technical but you asked....

No offense to you, I don't know you. I don't think there are a even a handful of people I know that I would support hunting with a 45ACP because of all of the factors involved. Come to think of it, i don't support a lot of people who hunt with adequate rifles... Maybe I'm just a crab
Old November 22, 2009, 08:34 PM   #7
GeauxTide

Use the Colt. Even with standard loads, the Long Colt has a track record of putting large animals down. The ACP has a track record of putting people down and the bullets are designed to expand their energy in the human torso.
Old November 23, 2009, 06:21 PM   #8
MosinM38

I'd get a good quality bullet, NOT meant for self-defence.

Hornady or Fiocchi XTP's,etc. Buffalo bore.etc.

A .45ACP placed good is very adquate for even northern deer. Main thing is just knowing your limits. Not taking a tough shot,etc.etc.

It all depends, I've shot 4 deer with my .41 Mag, 3 does and a buck. The Buck was 90 yards. Pretty far but as it was rifle season, I had my rifle and would have had time to use it if I'd wounded him. Ended up 1 lungshot and he toppled over.

This year I planned, but never got the chance (Still might on my whitey doe) to use my .40 S&W, 155 grain XTPs. Of course I'd limit my shots to 25 yards or less, and only perfect broadsides,etc, but I am good enough with it, I feel competant to use it.

But..as I said. Montana doesn't have a handgun season, so I am usually packing a rifle "Just in case", anyway....