The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 2, 2009, 07:05 PM   #1
thug23

Holster Suggestion Please

I own a Glock 19 and would like to start IDPA style shooting this season but I need a holster. I believe I need an IWB style and have read that Kyndex is better than leather for whatever reasons. I would like something that is slim and not too bulky and also lightweight if possible.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thankx.
Old April 2, 2009, 11:55 PM   #2
fourrobert13

Goto www.idpa.com for the rules reguarding holsters. You don't have to use an IWB holster. You can use belt and paddle holster so long as they meet IDPA's requirements. I use a Comp-Tac paddle OWB kydex holster. Although you can use an IWB if you want to and all IWB holsters are IDPA approved. It's all in the rule book. You will see a lot of holsters listed as IDPA approved if you check out Blade Tech and other places.
Old April 3, 2009, 07:17 AM   #3
NRAhab

BladeTech, Comp-Tac, and Blackhawk all make excellent belt/paddle holsters for IDPA (or IPSC production) competition. I use a Blackhawk SERPA or a Blackhawk CQC for IDPA competition, both of these types of holsters were also used by shooters at the IDPA national championships.

Any one of the three above holsters is going to provide good gear for a reasonable cost. I believe that Safariland makes good holsters for competition as well, but I'm not personally acquainted with their work.

If you prefer a leather rig over kydex, check out Galco's holsters, or if you want to be the belle of the ball, have a rig custom made by Mernikle Custom Holsters. The cost will be higher, but no one will have a sexier rig than you.
Old April 3, 2009, 07:27 PM   #4
thug23

Are these type of holsters you suggested OWB or IWB ?
Thanks again.
Old April 4, 2009, 02:53 PM   #5
NRAhab

Outside the waistband. You don't "need" an IWB holster to compete in IDPA, in fact it's a detriment (slower to draw from) and can cause safety issues when reholstering if you're not careful with the muzzle.
Old April 5, 2009, 10:30 AM   #6
thug23

OK Thank you.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:34 PM   #7
sidaemon

I shoot a lot of IDPA matches and while I've seen almost every rig that is legal there are a few suggestions. One is that I would not recommend an IWB holster. In big matches there is a lot of holster and unholstering, especially on a cold range and the IWB holsters slow things down a lot, especially when your nerves are up. I would also agree that it starts to become a safety issue.

Two, it can be a paddle holster, use the IDPA link above to see what's legal. The general rule is that with a concealment garment on, hands held out level to the sides the firearm is not visable. There also must not be any space between the holster and the body. That means that while wearing the rig if you look down the firearm should tuck in tight to your body without any daylight showing. The trigger and trigger guard must also be fully covered, so there is no risk of accidently catching the trigger and setting it off, again, take a look at the rules link above to see, but these are the basics.

I own a blackhawk that has the locking lever, I would not recommend for competition, but I wear it in conceal carry. I also have a Fobus paddle holster that is better for competion, and is also very comfortable. My first IDPA holster was a Uncle Mikes Kydex holster. They're cheap, tough and durable, if you're just trying things out I couldn't recommend them more as they are probably the most affordable quality holster out there... Just my two cents, thanks zac.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:50 PM   #8
thug23

Zac, thanks for taking the time to explain all that for me I will start looking.
Old April 7, 2009, 12:08 AM   #9
sidaemon

No prob, have fun! thanks zac.