The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2008, 06:33 PM   #1
countryboywithgun

civil war authenticity

I have heard several different things about holsters that are civil war style with flap. I know it is butt forward but do you wear them as cross draw or are they strong side twist??? and if the twist is correct i guess you grab the grip on the strong side with your hand twisted back after you unfasten the strat that sounds painfully uncomfortable. the thing is i would like to be as authentic in the purchase of a holster as possible. did the north and south armies carry the possible bags too and just a belt with the revolver ??
Old February 2, 2008, 07:08 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

No possible bags for the average Civil War soldier. They had cartridge boxes with gubmint rolled paper cartridges. Pistol shooters had a cartridge box that held prepared cartridges and caps.
Old February 2, 2008, 07:31 PM   #3
CraigC

Cavalrymen carried their sidearm butt-forward on the strong side. The saber was considered their primary weapon, which was worn on the weak side. With the pistol on the right side of a right handed horseman with the butt forward, it could be drawn with either hand rather easily.
Old February 2, 2008, 07:36 PM   #4
armedandsafe

Cav often had as many as 6 revolvers hanging about in various places on them and their mounts. Those who had LeMatts, were particularly well armed for close combat.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old February 5, 2008, 11:40 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

As to numerous revolvers carried by any single cavalryman, it depends. Most reenactors research their unit down to the firearm, uniform, actions. As far as I know, multiple revolvers were carried, but only by those who favored close range combat. A lot of cavalry action later in the war saw the carbine being used a lot.
Old February 6, 2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Hawg

Some Confederate Cavalry and Rangers carried 4-6 revolvers and discarded the carbine in favor of a sawed off shotgun.
Old February 9, 2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Tom2

One of my ancestors was in the cav as first seargent. The copy of the unit history I have says they were issued Colt revolvers and Sharps carbines, as well as the sabre. The sabre and some other stuff have been handed down, but the Sharps is not there Even though they were said to get Colts, the revolver handed down is a Whitney. My aunt has all the stuff including the holster. I need to get some good photos of the holster among other things.
Old February 10, 2008, 12:36 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Tom - get his service record and pension record (if any) from the National Archives. Go to Woodcraft and get some Rennaisance Wax to treat and preserve the gun and the leather.
Old February 10, 2008, 01:03 AM   #9
Hawg

It would be easier, cheaper and quicker to get his records from the archive of the state in which he served.
Old February 11, 2008, 10:22 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

In spite of stories (probably true) about Confederate irregulars carrying as many as six revolvers, that was not the case in regular units on either side. The normal case was one revolver, carried butt forward on the right side, as CraigC says. Experienced cavalrymen in battle often carried the revolver in the left hand, the saber in the right, and controlled the horse with their knees. The carbine was carried in a boot on the right side of the saddle, but was usually used only when dismounted.

One argument for the saber was made by a cavalry sergeant of the time who told a reporter that he preferred the blade arm "cuz it don't run out of ammunition."

Jim
Old February 12, 2008, 12:18 AM   #11
Gbro

Great Post!
I thought Track of the Wolf had made a mistake in the catalog with holsters.
Have seen many pictures, "just didn't get it".
Then some photos from that era were staged for the camera effect.
Like this one;

it reads ;
He wears his equipment backwards in an attempt to compensate for the reverse image of the "tintype" process.
(Ron Palm collection)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02-11-08_2310.jpg (15.1 KB, 50 views)