The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 1, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1
berkmberk1

Opinion: Traditions 1851 Navy in .44 cal

Anyone have experience with one of these? Its the steel frame model. I found a web site selling them for $165 each. This sounds like a pretty decent price for 2008! While the .44 isn't authentic, it would still be fun to shoot.

I was just wondering about the manufacturer, reliability, durability, etc.

Thanks for any help

Mike
Old February 1, 2008, 07:21 PM   #2
long rider

There must be the makers name on the
gun somewhere.
Well thats still a good deal, you will find
out what a good deal it was when you
put some lead down range, shoot safe.

Sod Buster Tried To Pull On Willson.
Old February 1, 2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Hawg

You can identify the maker by the manufacturers mark. This isn't a complete list but it covers the most common still in production.

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf
Old February 2, 2008, 06:38 AM   #4
JBB

I looked at a Traditions gun at Bass Pro a few months back. I believe they are manufactured by Pietta.
Old February 3, 2008, 12:49 PM   #5
one7685

I used to have one. Bought the conversion cylinder for it and shot .45 long colt cowboy rounds through it. Musta put over 1000 rounds through it and never had an issue. Very accurate as well for a cheap reproduction.
Old February 3, 2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Raider2000

JBB is right pretty much all of Traditions revolvers are manufactured through Pietta, fine pieces for the price, although mine aren't from Traditions I do have 3 Revolvers from Pietta including one that is about 26 years old "1860 Army."

Safe shooting my friend.
Old February 4, 2008, 07:54 AM   #7
grymster2007

My local dealer has the Traditions 1858s in a blister pack "kit" that includes some accessories. They are Piettas.
Old February 4, 2008, 08:13 AM   #8
LEE3370

Just a quick note.
It might not be a 2008. It might be old stock that needs to be moved out the door.
I have two of them made by Pietta that I have shot a lot and love them.
Old February 6, 2008, 11:33 PM   #9
berkmberk1

I broke down

I finally broke down and stopped procrastinating. I just ordered one from The Possible Shop. $177 with shipping and handling.

We'll just have to wait and see! I needed a second handgun for CAS anyway.

Now for a rifle........anyone have a cheap 1873 in 44-40?
Old February 7, 2008, 04:58 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
anyone have a cheap 1873 in 44-40?
I can't believe you said cheap and 1873 in the same sentence.
Old February 7, 2008, 01:23 PM   #11
berkmberk1

You never know.........might be some little ole lady out there with a few "pop guns or bb guns" in the closet that belonged to her dear departed..........kinda like the one owner 55 Chevy two door she has sitting in the unopened garage......
Old February 9, 2008, 12:41 AM   #12
berkmberk1

I don't believe it!

I came home from work this afternoon and my boxed 1851 was sitting on my door step. I ordered this two nights ago, from the Possible Shop in New Mexico! That's fast!

Black Micarta grips...highly polished brass trigger guard and grip frame...case hardened frame...deep blue finish.

Fit and finish - not as good as my Bounty Hunter, and definitely not on a par with my (former) Cimarron, but still nice. The action feels stiff, natural I suppose. The proof markings, using the resource above, indicates to me a manufacture date in 1997! New, yet old!

I can't wait to "bust some caps", but alas.........I still need to accumulate all the paraphanalia that goes along with it.......
Old February 21, 2008, 11:05 AM   #13
Bigbadgun

great gun

Berkmerk
I have the same gun its great.Points greatshoots great and it is made by Pietta. Great alignment tight lock up for the money I found it to be a steal.
Old February 26, 2008, 07:38 PM   #14
berkmberk1

Shoots great.......dead on but a few inches high. The overall weight make the gun, loaded with 30 gr fffg, handle like a [color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color] cat......POOM!! Then negligible recoil.

It is an experience when you have an expended cap jam. I can only wonder what went thru some young slob's mind 145 years ago when a line of bayonet equipped opfor was just about to taste blood and his first shot, a miss, was followed up with a firmly snagged cylinder............not good!

After a complete teardown I could see two areas that need work. First was the teeth on the back of the cylinder. Whatever process Pietta used to form the teeth the hand engages left some health burrs inside which bore on the cylinder pin. A few careful minutes with a moto-tool took those off. The next questionable area I found (and I'll need to figure out how to approach) is the milled (or in this case I belive cast) channel inside the frame for the hand. It is very rough!!! The hand itself appears to be a casting thats been machined down. It works, but you can hear the roughness just sliding that piece up and down in the channel.

The finish is good......the fit pretty good (the grips could be a little better but I'm likely to change those eventually), and it shoots.......what more can you ask?
Overall, I would rate this gun as well worth the $165 I spent on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pict0003.JPG (35.3 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Cylinder.JPG (145.3 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by berkmberk1; February 27, 2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: adding better photo
Old February 27, 2008, 03:50 PM   #15
Gaucho Gringo

One7685, which conversion did you get, one for a 1860 Army .44? I have looked and they don't make one for a 1851 Navy in .44. Thank you.
Old February 27, 2008, 07:10 PM   #16
berkmberk1

1851 Navy in .44 mode

This is a Pietta made 1851 Navy in the unauthentic caliber .44 (illuminated by the unauthentic flourescent desk lamp. The flourescent desk lamps made in 1851 were constructed of wood and ran on kerosene. ).

They are (or at least were) distributed by Traditions out of Connecticut. I got mine from a place on the web called The Possible Shop

http://www.possibleshop.com/cap-ball-closeout.htm

Right now they go for $165 on sale. I'm debating another one or going with the crowd and ordering an 1858 Remington from Cabelas........$169 on sale I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1851.JPG (170.4 KB, 151 views)
Old March 2, 2008, 12:37 AM   #17
berkmberk1

I was just cruising around the net looking at all things bp and I am amazed at all the outdoorsman sites selling this same pistol for up to $100 more!!!

Now I'm REALLY glad I ordered that 1858 that was on sale at Cabelas!
Old March 2, 2008, 12:42 AM   #18
Hawg

I think you'll be well pleased with the Remmy.
Old March 17, 2008, 03:07 PM   #19
Desslock

I have the same gun (.44 Navy by Pietta). I love it! It's got the case-colored steel frame as well. So far I have broken two mainsprings. After breaking the first one I called Traditions and they sent me three new ones for $3 apiece. They came in about a week. I don't know why the first one broke, probably from me constantly cocking the thing over and over again when I first got it. The second one had some rust right on the point of breakage. I'm guessing that weakened it in that spot. I still have one spare left. Hopefully I'll never have to use that one. My first blackpowder gun, and I became hooked! I want the conversion cylinder. I'm guessing that the one for the 1860 Army model will work.
Old March 17, 2008, 06:02 PM   #20
berkmberk1

I know what you mean about cocking it over and over. I guess its the kid in us. Its sort of reminds me of cracking knuckles. Theres the enjoyment of a fine mechanism clicking and clacking as parts engage, disengage, rotate and then lock. All three of mine are different - the 1851 with its click click, the 1858 with its click, snitch-click, and the SAA - click click click click.

I broke down, like so many others, and sacrificed some greenback offerings to the Deity of BP and got myself a Pietta 1858 from Cabelas. Its not case hardened but I think I'm going to use it as my second gun for CAS. Size and weight is comparable to the EAA Bounty Hunter I'm going to use as my primary.

As for breakages for me........none yet. But when I ordered the Remington, I also ordered a spare parts kit for it and the 1851. All I need now for spares are some nipples.

By the way, what size nipples are on a Pietta 1858?
Old March 17, 2008, 07:11 PM   #21
Hawg

Quote:
By the way, what size nipples are on a Pietta 1858?
http://www.thunder-ridge.com/proddet...prod=11-50-106
Old March 17, 2008, 07:26 PM   #22
Rebel Dave

I have the same rev from the Possible shop, 51 navy .44 cal. It is as stated a good quality rev. I am taking it out this week end along with my Pietta 58 Rem, and my 1969, 60 Army, .44, can't wait.
I just ordered a 2nd mod Dragoon from the Possible Shop, this morning. The price is excellent, $314.00

As far as I know all Pietta Revolver nipples are the same size. They are 6mm x.75, Possible Shop P/N #12-50-106 for pietta revs. @ $18.95/6. These are the Ampco Bronze for #11 caps.

Uberti revs have annother size, #12 x 28tpi, posssible shop P/N 12-50-166, Ampco Bronze, @ $21.95/6.

Uberti Walkers , and Dragoons, have annother P/N, 12-50-136, Ampco bronze,#12 x 28tpi, @21.95/6.

As far as parts go, I usually get them at Taylors and co. , Best prices and good and fast shipping.

Happy Shooting
Rebel Dave (still unreconstructed)
Old March 17, 2008, 09:56 PM   #23
mykeal

Uberti Walker and Dragoons can use the 11-50-13 Treso nipple (it's 1/4x28, not 12x28) but it's really too short at 0.538. The 11-50-01 Treso nipple is 1/4x28 but longer at 0.635, closer to the OEM size of 0.627.

The Possible shop changes the Treso part number to start with a 12 instead of Treso's 11. Also, the final 6 denotes a package of 6 nipples. Thus you'd order 12-50-016 for a package of 6 Walker nipples from The Possible Shop, or 11-50-01 each from someplace else.
Old March 17, 2008, 10:55 PM   #24
Ricklin

I recently bought a 58 remmy from Cheaper than dirt. I went stainless for ease of maint. It was a Pietta, sold by Traditions.
Very dissapointed, tool tracks, burs, sharp edges enough to cut your hands, and worst of all took it out to shoot and you could stuff the ball in with your thumb! I took it home and measured the cylinder bores, they measured .456- .458. Barrel to cylinder gap was .12. In other words, a real piece of junk. Cheaper than Dirt refused to do anything since I had "sanded" on the pistol to remove the burs and sharp edges. Like I was supposed to cut my hands handling it? I sent the pistol back to Traditions in CT. and they replaced the pistol. The new one I received looks good not great, and the cylinder bores are about .450. Have not taken it out to shoot it yet. Traditions refused to reimburse me for the 17 bucks I had to spend to return the dangerously defective pistol they produced.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:10 AM   #25
mykeal

Welcome, and a little advice...

Hey Rick, welcome to the forum. Grab a seat and a hot cup of coffee and listen up.

Calm down a little. Seventeen bucks is not the end of the world, and Traditions did what any other reputable distributor would have done. It's a bad deal that you had to return the gun, but that's not unheard of in this sport; we've all had to contend with the occasional lemon. Be glad you had yours early and can expect it'll be many years before it happens again.

You can, and should, reveal the real name of Cheaper Than Dirt; they did not meet the minimum standard and we usually let our friends on the forums know about such dealers.

I'd also suggest you tone down the hyperbole some; it's not necessary to get our attention, and for the most part you'll find us very sympathetic to a simple explanation of the problem.

And thanks for letting us know about the problem. We need to communicate when it's not right. Enjoy your new gun. They are a wonderful pasttime.