The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 21, 2017, 10:18 PM   #26
the possum

I saw a Reichsrevolver at a local estate aution a couple years ago. I didn't know exactly what it was at the time, but it was obviously well made. So I left a lowball bid, but didn't get it.

Dad has a Rast & Gasser 8mm revolver. It's thoroughly European in style and appearance, but again, they were made with extremely impressive tolerances and fit & finish. I've read they were used by police forces and such for a looong time simply because they didn't wear out. The neatest feature is you can pull down the trigger gaurd and the whole side of the frame hinges open so you can easily clean the innards- very handy in messy trench warfare. And we were surprised to learn that new ammo is readily available online and no more expensive than .38 special.

The Eibar region of Spain was famous for their good quality copies of the older Smith & Wesson top-break revolvers in big bore calibers. I have one by Orbea Hermanos in .455 Webley, and a .44 special by another obscure maker. I've also seen one in the Italian 10.35mm service round (which can be made from .44 brass.) They usually fetch a tenth of the price of American big bore top breaks, but are still fun to shoot in the back yard.
Old July 22, 2017, 11:19 PM   #27
James K
Staff

Reichsrevolvers were made by several factories you might have heard of - Schilling, Sauer, Mauser, Haenel, and the Royal Arms factory at Erfurt, none of them known for poor work. That Rast & Gasser is also a high quality revolver; some of its features were copied by the Japanese in their Type 26 revolver.

Jim
Old July 23, 2017, 06:17 PM   #28
Pond, James Pond

I'd investigate Astra revolvers.

Had two, been happy with both...
Old July 23, 2017, 07:11 PM   #29
Glock_17

No Dutch revolvers?

http://www.musquet.com/nl/p/west-eur...ommercial.html
Old July 24, 2017, 10:14 PM   #30
Radny97

How about Alfa-proj? GunBroker has them for sale at reasonable prices occasionally. I've never handled one.
Old July 25, 2017, 01:32 AM   #31
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radny97 View Post
How about Alfa-proj? GunBroker has them for sale at reasonable prices occasionally. I've never handled one.
Heard of them, but they're not really vintage or classic enough for me.
Old July 25, 2017, 03:41 PM   #32
James K
Staff

FWIW, there is a fair amount of information on the KNIL and its arms - some can be found by simply Googling that abbreviation. One interesting aspect of the 9.4mm revolvers is that that at least some ammo was made by cutting off fired 6.5 mm rifle cases and reloading them with revolver bullets.

Jim