The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 17, 2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Brutus

New Dan Wesson 715

Just bought one tonight, was looking for a Smith 686 but decided against used.
Refuse to buy one with a Hillary hole and the 715 really melted my butter.
Any feedback from current owners would be appreciated.
Will 15-2 grips fit the new 715?

Last edited by Brutus; July 18, 2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old July 17, 2017, 08:21 PM   #2
wild cat mccane

The last thing I would note as a difference between the $600 686 and the $1k+ 715 would be the trigger lock hole...
Old July 18, 2017, 02:28 AM   #3
hemiram

My only complaint about the new DW 715's is the price on them. Both my 715 and 15-2 along with the extra barrel and shroud, and the parts didn't equal what a new one out the door goes for.
Old July 18, 2017, 07:30 AM   #4
muzzleblast...

OP, I think you picked a winner. A buddy and I went to a gun show last month. One of the dealers had an excellent condition vintage .22 LR with 8" vent rib, full lug barrel and a Swift scope. My friend picked it up for $650. Of course, we took it back to his house in the country and shot it. The trigger certainly is sweet on those DW revolvers.
Old July 18, 2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Brutus

I agree on the price point but after careful research and consideration I decided there weren’t a lot of choices out there. Back around the mid seventies, after scrimping and saving for a year I bought a 6” Colt Python, still have it and it is my most coveted firearm. Quit shooting magnums out it about twenty years ago and regulated it to my favorite target hand loads. I’ve always been a big bore enthusiast so .357’s weren’t missed much. Entering into the twilight years of life I decided to treat myself to a new toy. At first I was browsing at the Dan Wesson Bobtail classic but then the 715 caught my eye.
Things I liked were:
front locking cylinder, barrel nut fastens the barrel fore and aft which is the big accuracy claim from silhouette shooters, interchangeable barrels ( hope to buy an 8” to aid my aging eyes), clockwise cylinder rotation, very crisp trigger pull, appears to be built more like a Ruger than a Colt and last but not least no Hillary hole.
Putting things in perspective the Dan costs about the same as my Python did so many years ago what with inflation and all and is about the closest thing to a stainless Python or a Korth which is way out of my budget.
Forgot to add, biggest benefit is I don't have to chase after brass.

Last edited by Brutus; July 18, 2017 at 07:30 PM.