The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 3, 2013, 07:11 AM   #26
loose_holster_dan

the tavor is priced around $2k right now. you can get an MSAR for cheaper.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 3, 2013, 08:55 AM   #27
jason41987

youre right.. i heard the MSRP of the tavor was $1800, but it is $2k... still though, tough choice
Old April 4, 2013, 12:13 AM   #28
LED

Rationally speaking: No. The bullpups are a necessity for combat troops. It is silly to pretend you have the same needs, especially at your own expense. Bullpups are designed for better control of automatic fire at close to mid distance. Take that away, whats left? They are loud, the triggers suck, the innards are complicated (before the tavor anyway), the accuracy is no better, and the premium is $500 and up for the same performance. Sure it is exciting when you first take it out to shoot. Then you will realize that the AR serves you just as well.
If you want a bullpup no matter what, and can afford it, go for it. Get it over with, and then decide for yourself. The resale values are very good.

Last edited by LED; April 4, 2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:09 AM   #29
SR420

LED nailed it.

I have owned a few different bullpup rifles and tried a high end kit.
They are cool and compact, but they don't serve a real purpose in
my reality. All of my bullpup weapons have been sold off & replaced.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:33 PM   #30
jason41987

i may just use the money to buy a couple other rifles on my list that might be going up in price... such as the M1 garand and M1 carbine.. and spend more to spruce up my AK-74 with a better, higher quality barrel, better iron sights and a good red dot
Old April 4, 2013, 02:14 PM   #31
SR420

Then again...
Old April 4, 2013, 05:40 PM   #32
jason41987

i wouldnt want a FAMAS, as a delayed-blowback theyll have similar issues as the HK rifles
Old April 4, 2013, 08:17 PM   #33
bdareg

Comes down to personal preference. I have used regular rifles: i.e. Ruger mini 14, hk g36 and m4 carbine, and i have also used sa80a2 bullpup. Bullpups are great for cqb stuff, but if you are not used to them they just feel weird. Mag changes are especially strange at first. But after a While you would get used to it, i did, but i still personally prefer the conventional layout.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:40 PM   #34
barnbwt

Supposedly FAMAS carbines have a much smoother recoil impulse than the G3s, but we'll never know here in the States for less than 5K$ . All I know is they look even weirder (what is it with the French and their guns, anyway?) than the AUG. I'd love to hear a review from someone who doesn't sound like he's gonna go off the deep end, though (I can understand clowning for page-hits, but Jesus, acting around loaded firearms that way...)

TCB
Old April 5, 2013, 01:10 AM   #35
5.56RifleGuy

5 K? more like 10k now.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:24 AM   #36
jason41987

my point on the FAMAS is although i do like the pure simplicity of delayed blowback designs, the very nature of them being a blowback still mean the insides run on the dirty side, and fluted chambers tend to chew brass (not a problem for military who isnt going to be reloading the brass anyway, bad for me though)

Last edited by jason41987; April 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:13 PM   #37
Famas

FAMAS for me. During my time in the service, I never did have a problem with it. Uses DI just like the AR, so I don't see what the problem is there. Sure, the rearward magazine well took a bit of getting used to, but after some training all was fine. The carrying handle was a bit odd, we called it the bugle (Clarion). The charging handle to be placed under the carrying handle was a bit cumbersome with winter gloves, but like everything else it was ok after training. I carried it in Bosnia and overall it was a fine weapon, it shot accurately and I remember I liked the 3-shot bursts. I can remember we had a couple of joint training sessions with German troops in Metkovic and they seemed to like it.

The one thing I did NOT like, it the ejection of spent casings was erratic and sometimes violent...they went everywhere. I think it had more to do with the ejector/extraction rather than the ammunition, but it did fire French made ammo better. Some casings has a nice scratch along the side.

A cousin of mine currently in the Army and having done 2 tours of Afghanistan, says that now few people like the upgraded FAMAS. The upgrade to G2 (I carried the F1) and modification for STANAG was very good, but adoption of FELIN has revealed limitations as to the gadgetry it can support, and unfortunately now everyone wants gadgets.

I've wanted one to add to my French collection, and I saw one on GB a few months ago, a Century Arms inport of the early 1980s...reserve was 10k.

Above retarded video reference is retarded. Let him volunteer to go to Mali, see how he does then mock us, after a few history lessons, preferably via boot to face.

Last edited by Famas; April 5, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:51 PM   #38
kinoons

I owned a fs2000 -- got rid of it, the trigger just plain sucked. No way around it.

I do own a ps90. Trigger is better, and I love how compact it is.

If you're willing to go outside the 5.56 realm the ps90 is a winner.