The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 9, 2013, 08:53 PM   #26
sigcurious

@OP, depending on where are you are it might be worth your while to check in a larger radius. One of my LGSs they still have plenty of ARs a lot of them still at pretty normal prices, not so much in the ammo and mags though.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:58 PM   #27
Blue Duck

OK, here's the deal. You have waited too long for a good deal on an AR. Sure they may come down in a few months, but then again, we are in new country here, and you might not be able to get one, period in a little while. Ask yourself if you even need one, and if you do and have the money, get the Colt, but only if you have money left for ammo.

As an alternative, you might be better off to go buy a couple of Glock 22's and maybe a Glock 17 or 19 and some extra mags and ammo. If it gets really restrictive, a few extra pistols may be better in the long run then an AR. A good boltaction or leveraction sporter will probably serve you as well as the AR, anyway.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:21 PM   #28
slim9300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfishman View Post
What Republicans said this?
Michael Medved and David Bose were the two talk show hosts I heard on "Conservative" talk radio. The channel is 770 KTTH.

The two Republican congressmen I heard were on Fox News but I can't recall their names. They were followed by Pete Sessions saying how stupid it would be to eliminate ARs and high cap mags and that the point was to protect the people from Tyranny. Too bad more politicians don't understand the point of the 2nd Amendment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 9, 2013, 11:23 PM   #29
tgreening

Blah blah. My guess is Bidens statements are an attempt to get people stirred up in an attempt to keep this issue "hot". There have been other news articles claiming the White House is already having trouble keeping Congress interested in this matter. Given the publics short attention span, and the governments tendency to focus on the latest issue of the moment, this is no surprise.

Do a search on Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell where he claims the Senate won't even be taking a look at this issue for at least 3 months.

My personal opinion is that right at this moment, this is an issue that is in no way a win-win for supporters of increased gun control. The politicians stand a real chance of alienating as many voters as they might gain, if not more so, and politicians being politicians votes are rather special to them. I don't see that you can claim votes aren't an issue because Obama is done. Many Dems will still be looking at reelection and they will be guilty by association.

Look who's in charge, VP Biden. No offense to him personally but politically and historically speaking the position of VP has been about one of the most useless positions imaginable. I believe he's in charge so the Dems can appear to be "on the job" on an issue they are hoping is going to quietly (more or less) go away so they don't have to stick their necks out too far.

Boy hasn't this gone way off-topic from "Which AR should I buy"?
Old January 10, 2013, 10:11 AM   #30
Northslope Nimrod

Be patient and pray for Congress. Then buy at normal prices.
The Colt is good at $1200. Personally, I have a Smith and Wesson M&P and have no complaints. When things settle down, I'm going to pick up a S&W Sport, maybe two....if and when they are selling for $650-700 again.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:45 AM   #31
Fishbed77

Quote:
Too bad more politicians don't understand the point of the 2nd Amendment.
Most of them understand the point of the 2nd Amendment quite well.

They just don't want the rest of us to understand it.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:31 PM   #32
slim9300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Most of them understand the point of the 2nd Amendment quite well.

They just don't want the rest of us to understand it.
You are probably right. The people of this country are another story however. I would say with confidence that the majority of people are clueless. Guns are for hunting and home defense, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 10, 2013, 01:38 PM   #33
Xaak

What AR?

Some would reply the available one...

I think that if you look at how poorly Congress managed to put bills through last year, the worst Congress ever, I think you will see more of the same now as the parties posture for control. The no new income tax, wait, we got a payroll tax however, which is based on a percentage of your "income", is one that the liars cannot hide. There is also a growing support this time for working against the bans presented. Not just because they are so ridiculous on the left side, but because the last time Feinstein presented a bill that got through, no one thought it seriously had a chance, AND NOT AS MANY PEOPLE WHO NEEDED TO SPEAK UP, DID!

Do not become a victim to your government. While all of us mourn the losses of mass shootings, we also have to realize like Jesse Ventura said, he goes home and does not find his guns just firing on their own.

Its also about time that some of these wishy washy people in Washington learn that we are watching and we will not forgive. Don't screw us of our 2nd Amendment right on the mercy of some children. The idiot who did that would have done what he had to so he could get his 15 minutes on CNN that turned into the reports of why we don't need guns.

Man, I hate that I always get my shorts in a bunch and when it used to be just good fun to talk about mods, guns, ammo tests, I now am all about getting my elected officials to do what they said they would to get my vote. Right now typing these thoughts I am taking fingers... screw with my rights and I will take arms.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:38 PM   #34
Catfishman

Quote:
Look who's in charge, VP Biden. No offense to him personally but politically and historically speaking the position of VP has been about one of the most useless positions imaginable. I believe he's in charge so the Dems can appear to be "on the job" on an issue they are hoping is going to quietly (more or less) go away so they don't have to stick their necks out too far.
Tgreening
That's a very good point. I wouldn't ask Biden to handle something I was dead set on winning.