The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2019, 10:10 AM   #76
F. Guffey

Quote:
Tried it both ways. Why rinse the water based wax off?
Again, I do not want anything between my chamber and case but air, I want clean air and I do not want a lot a lot of it.. I want my case to lock to the chamber when fired because I believe 100% contact is better than anything less. AND! I am not the fan of cross hatching.

And then there is R. Lee, there is shiny and there is clean, I want my brass clean because my cases are embeddable. And then there are reloaders that have not decided if the case travels, I am the fan of eliminating all that case travel.

F. Guffey
Old April 28, 2019, 02:20 PM   #77
cw308

After I wet tumble using Sun liquid detergent , my brass comes out spotless , bright and shinny , if it should loose some of the shine I know it's clean with no built up carbon in the case , that's all that matters to me . Then it's up to me to size the case accurately .
Old April 28, 2019, 03:42 PM   #78
David R

Everybody do as you wish.

I started using the wax when my 9mm were sticking in the sizing die and the powder funel in my 550. I sprayed them with some One shot and everything got easier. Then I used the wax. I was getting wax from my vibratory tumbler, the wet rotory tumbler was getting them too clean.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old April 29, 2019, 07:52 AM   #79
rodfac

Very amusing....4 pages of anal retentive oriented laughter. Thanks for an amusing morning guys! Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 30, 2019, 06:19 AM   #80
GaCop

Recently, a friend turned me on to food grade Citric Acid to clean dirty tarnish brass. It's amazing how well the CA cleans up cases in less than 30 minutes. The only hassle is drying the brass before use. I clean and rinse the brass in very hot water, the brass dries fairly quickly laid out on an old towel. After sizing the cases, I do have to run a Q-tip into the pocket to remove any trapped moisture.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:27 AM   #81
Marco Califo

What Worked Best

What Worked Best
shouldn't surprise anyone:
1. Tumble with SS pins.
2. Separate out the SS pins (or maybe just drain and rinse).
3. Return brass to the drum. Add 1.5 gallons RO water, 1 tsp Lemi-Shine, and a shot of auto wash/wax. I used Armor All Ultra Shine Wash & Wax which was $5 at WalMart
4. Drain. Do not rinse. I let dry in a separator, shaking occasionally.
Attached Images
File Type: png Shiny Brassjpg.png (187.7 KB, 16 views)
Old May 28, 2019, 07:47 AM   #82
mrdaputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
What Worked Best
shouldn't surprise anyone:
1. Tumble with SS pins.
2. Separate out the SS pins (or maybe just drain and rinse).
3. Return brass to the drum. Add 1.5 gallons RO water, 1 tsp Lemi-Shine, and a shot of auto wash/wax. I used Armor All Ultra Shine Wash & Wax which was $5 at WalMart
4. Drain. Do not rinse. I let dry in a separator, shaking occasionally.
I do it a little different. I use a cleaner with lemishine and J&J wash and wax in the tumbler with pins. When all done I rise and put in the dehydrator to dry. They stay shiny. I don't think the wash and wax rinses off.
Old May 28, 2019, 02:05 PM   #83
labnoti

If you really have that much brass, I would stop using a tiny tumbler barrel like the Frankford. There is no process that's going to be "one and done," so get some equipment that will process larger batches of brass.

Brass will tarnish very quickly if it stays wet after tumbling. It should be wet tumbled without primers that trap water and interfere with drying. When you take it out of the tumbler, rinse it in very hot water and separate it. I would use wood 2x4 frames with wire "hardware cloth" large enough to let the brass lay in a single layer. Use a leaf blower or a very large air compressor to blow it dry. You want to get the water off quickly. Set out in the sun on a hot day will dry up any remaining moisture, but sun drying without the air blast will take too long. Once it's dry enough not to cake dry media, you can dry tumble it. Getting the brass dry quickly will keep it shiney for longer. If it starts to tarnish visibly while drying, it will just keep going at what seems like a faster rate.

These steps alone prior to vacuum packing are sufficient to preserve the brass for years. Will it tarnish? A little. But if it needs to be high-polished, it is easy to dry tumble it upon opening the package provided all the brass can be tumbled in a single load. The problem isn't tumbling brass for a couple hours -- it's doing it for days because you have to run dozens of loads and that happens because the tumbler is too small.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:27 AM   #84
oley55

Quote:
If you really have that much brass, I would stop using a tiny tumbler barrel like the Frankford.
I concur! Long before the "late to the game" Frankfort Arsenal came out with their wet tumbler and the oh so cute FART acronym was invented, most of the world was using the Thumbler. But even back then I quickly realized I needed something bigger. So I set about making a larger capacity home built. Although I frequently run smaller batches, my tumbler easily churns 2k of 223 brass. My biggest limitation on quantity has always been my media separator. I really do need to get one of those double drum separators from Dillon.

Last edited by oley55; May 29, 2019 at 04:34 PM.

Tags
fart , shiny brass