The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 28, 2017, 05:39 PM   #26
Ricekila

And here's my second question

I took the brass down so everything is nice and flat / true -- then worked the grip close to the wood with filing and very little Dremel work

Sanded -- hot towel to bring up the fuzzys - lite sanding -- its ready to stain

The question ?

It fits snugly but not over tight -- is there any reason / benefit to back filling with J-B Weld to close up the inner gaps ?

This kit is from the late 1980's -- I ass-u-me the wood is dried out by now

Μολών Λaβέ
Old May 29, 2017, 03:30 PM   #27
44 Dave

Got the pictures put in post # 19.
Old May 29, 2017, 06:07 PM   #28
Ricekila

Yep -- I got the slightly smaller arbor threads and the brass in one smaller section is thinner for the hand to slide in

Μολών Λaβέ
Old May 31, 2017, 09:07 AM   #29
Ricekila

One coat Minwax Dark Walnut #2716 / 8 + hour dry / #0000 buff / another coat / dry / #0000 buff / first lite coat of polly

What ever kind of wood this is -- nice grain

And my spare showed up

Interesting -- when I just looked at this pic -- the pin screws in -- mine is a loose press fit ?

Μολών Λaβέ

Last edited by Ricekila; May 31, 2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old May 31, 2017, 05:41 PM   #30
Ricekila

At some point I gotta stop trying to polish what isn't there -- I work down one imperfection in the casting - two more pop up

And Its hard to put back wood that wasn't there to begin with --- if it was worth it - I've carve one out from a chunk of Maple

After a finale polish / clean up -- "it is what it is" --

Up next -- "Barrel spinning"

Maybe the cylinder too -- I cant tell the difference between the ships and scratchs

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 1, 2017, 05:40 PM   #31
Ricekila

This time I opted for a wood dowel - the slowest I can get my vertical milling machine ( drill press ) is 760 RPM -- way to fast

Two wraps of scotch tape every inch got it tight enough to turn it with the rifling when I pushed it in --

So chucking in a drill motor & a support block for the other end -- I can spin it at about 25 - 30 RPM -- slow enough to count

After about 10 minutes & one sheet of #400 G --

The deepest chatter grooves are about 1/2 a needle thickness on my calipers -- just deep enough to see & feel ---

When I get it all smoothed out with #800 G -- then a lite buffing with a green scotch brite for painting --

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 1, 2017, 06:59 PM   #32
4V50 Gary
Staff

As Hershel House said in one of his videos, Kentucky Lathe!
Old June 1, 2017, 07:05 PM   #33
Ricekila

Just wait till I tighten the quill on this thing -- or at least find a bearing that fits better

Μολών Λaβέ

Last edited by Ricekila; June 3, 2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old June 3, 2017, 07:37 PM   #34
Ricekila

Cap sucker filled in --

Ready for paint

Wedged just enough so the safety clip grabs the outside of the barrel -- back of the barrel filed and polished so theres .10 clearance to the cylinder --

Cylinder cleaned up nicely - just lite scratches - ships show up nicely --

Ready for paint :thumb:

Μολών Λaβέ

Last edited by Ricekila; June 3, 2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old June 4, 2017, 12:21 PM   #35
Ricekila

So thinking ahead a wee-bit to which cylinder might become the safety one --- theres a guy on YouTube who checks for chamber equal-ness by filling each one with powder then measuring the volumes --- the only thing about that I question -- ( even if its only by minute amounts ) -- it could be just a little off ?

So - oiling up the nipple threads - putting a small amount of plumbers putty in the capping holes --- my syringe is measured in ML -- ?

Utilizing my Wifey's favorite Tea cup ( pink ) with water --

Filling the syringe up to the 4 line --- each cylinder filled equally too -- two lines above empty --

Still -- if one consistently throws a flyer --- that's my safety chamber -- no nip installed :

And I dressed some screws --

Μολών Λaβέ

Last edited by Ricekila; June 5, 2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old June 5, 2017, 11:39 AM   #36
drobs

Looks good Rice.

I might have 1 for the goon. I bought a Pietta 1860 steel frame (stripped frame) off gunbroker & a complete brass framed "1851" Pietta Sheriff model 44 from Cabela's last big sale.

Finding that either the hand it too long or I have a take off Pietta frame with a short arbor. Could be a reason it was for sale on gunbroker. Something aint right and I quickly gave up on it. Seems my shade tree gunsmithing might need some more work.
Old June 5, 2017, 01:23 PM   #37
Ricekila

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 5, 2017, 01:29 PM   #38
Hawg

Quote:
I have a take off Pietta frame with a short arbor.
A Pietta with a short arbor? Pietta has used at least four different Colt hands that I know of.
Old June 5, 2017, 02:51 PM   #39
drobs

Somethin aint right with this one...

Maybe I should try a couple more hands before giving up. With the barrel off the action works just fine all the clicks are there.

Put the barrel on and I find I don't have all the clicks or can't fully cock the hammer back.

Edit: Now that I think about it. There's a couple other things I should've tried 1st - was using the 51-44 cylinder on the 60 frame. That might be issue.

Should've also tried a 60 cylinder and 60 barrel / wedge on it to see if that would solve it.

Now I'm back in Africa...
Will have to revisit it in a couple months.

Last edited by drobs; June 5, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old June 5, 2017, 08:28 PM   #40
Hawg

If the bolt locks in but it won't go into full cock the hand is too long. I have seen one doing that where the hand was the right length but it needed an angle on the tip.
Old June 5, 2017, 08:46 PM   #41
Ricekila

Now that my initial problem is solved -- just for poops & giggles -- I should try the spare I bought --- ?

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 6, 2017, 02:13 PM   #42
Ricekila

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 9, 2017, 07:33 PM   #43
Ricekila

I wanna keep the Duracoat on the plunger for however long it lasts -- it wont slide easily - so I'll use a 12G brass brush with some Permatex valve lapping compound to open up the channel a wee-bit and replace the nipples with stainless steel ones --

Now I gotta wait to meet up with one of my card carrying license buddy's with the last component to fire this -- legally --

I wanna do another

Μολών Λaβέ

Last edited by Ricekila; June 10, 2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old June 10, 2017, 02:40 PM   #44
Ricekila

So last night after I took the pic -- I noticed this --

Yep -- I missed one bur at a screw hole --

And I just bought my first can of Altoids - ever --

$2. for a snappy little can isn't bad -- is it ?

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 10, 2017, 02:52 PM   #45
drobs

You ought to install a cap post:
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...p_and_ball.pdf
Old June 10, 2017, 04:46 PM   #46
Ricekila

Its on my improvement list

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 10, 2017, 10:04 PM   #47
Model12Win

Send the gun to Goon's Gun Works and have him work his magic.

Thank me later.
Old June 12, 2017, 09:35 PM   #48
45 Dragoon

Appreciate it Model12Win !!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old June 13, 2017, 11:39 PM   #49
Ricekila

Duracoat take 2 --

Scratch in the not fully cured cylinder -- screwed up the paint with the loading rod clasp retaining pin -- couldn't save the paint on the other end -- so I polished where the plunger screws to it

And finger prints on the barrel because I'm a moron

I always post up the good & not so good

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 14, 2017, 04:10 AM   #50
drobs

Rice,
Thinking you need to try some bluing next time around. Spray paint is "just wrong" on a C&B revolver.