The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 21, 2019, 07:46 AM   #1
chaim

Which gun/carry combo when visiting VERY anti-gun family in Asheville

So, I'm going to NC to visit family. Since my UT non-resident permit is honored by NC I would like to carry. I am visiting with family members who are very anti-gun, and my brother (who is very anti-carry) will share a hotel room with me. I want to be able to carry should something happen, while remaining as discrete as possible to maintain family harmony. So, my usual larger carry options (CZ P01, PCR, 75 Compact, Commander sized 1911SC, and possibly even my Officer sized RIA 1911CS) are off limits. I am staying in a hotel, partly because my uncle and his wife have a small place, but also so I can carry without their rights getting in the way (they hate guns, they have a right to say no guns in their home).

Normally, when I carry, I'm in states with good open carry laws so I don't worry too much about printing or even occasionally having the gun show when my shirt or jacket lifts up. In this situation that won't be an option. So, I'm not sure which of my current choices are the best way to go...

Normally I prefer IWB tucked or untucked depending upon how I dress that day. However, there is always the possibility of the gun showing which I don't want in this case. Even some of my smaller guns are big enough that this is really the only option though. There is also the chance it could be discovered during a hug, though I doubt my aunt, uncle, or cousins will hug that low. I could go pocket carry, but I do carry a lot in my pockets so it is far from the most convenient option. It would be the most concealable option. I could try AIWB, it still could show if my shirt lifts up (but that isn't all that likely), it would be far less likely to accidentally be discovered during a hug, and would allow me to use my pockets, but I haven't used it yet and I'm unfamiliar (and not yet comfortable) with this form of carry.

The guns I'm considering bringing...

My S&W M&P40c. This is one of my smaller regular carry guns. It can fit in my jeans pockets (and I have a pocket holster) but it looks like I have a small book/notebook/small computer in there. More likely, I'd carry it IWB. It is small enough that it hides well most of the time, but since I'd have to carry IWB there are those risks noted above.

My SIG P290RS. This is definitely small enough to completely disappear IWB, but I can also pocket it for even more concealment. It is probably small enough, though it can leave a gun outline in the pocket (I may put my cell phone in front of the holster so it will leave a more box like shape on the outside of my pocket).

My new Taurus 856. I'll need to get it to the range for a few hundred rounds before I go to be sure it is reliable before I will carry it, but I want to have that done before this trip anyway (I enjoy the range and haven't been in almost 2 months since I've been so busy lately). It is a bit bigger than the P290, but the visible shapes outside the pocket will be softer and less obviously scream "gun". I do have a pocket holster from Simply Rugged on the way. This (times when I may need/want to pocket carry for maximum concealment) is specifically what I bought this gun for. Assuming it proves reliable after a couple hundred rounds, I'm currently leaning towards the Taurus for this trip. If the Taurus ends up not proving itself before the trip (I can't get enough range time in, or it has issues), the 2nd choice for this role would be my S&W 442 or Taurus 85CH, but I don't like the idea of 5 rounds (so it becomes more of a toss up which way I'm leaning).

My new Colt King Cobra. It should be a near perfect IWB carry gun, and I have a nice Simply Rugged holster for it. However, see the IWB v. pocket discussion earlier. Also, my IWB holster for this is not tuckable, so if any part of the trip calls for a tucked shirt I'd have to leave the gun at the hotel. It does need some rounds through it to insure it is reliable, but I have no actual doubts about it (just want to be sure before I carry it).

Finally, I could take my Ruger LCP. When you need a gun to totally disappear is exactly what guns like this were made for. As for capability of the cartridge, my accuracy with the gun, and general capability, I'm more comfortable with any of the other choices, but none would conceal as well.

Since I only carry part-time (I can't carry in my home state), I don't have a lot of experience carrying when absolute discretion is called for. So, some advice from those who have carried in such situations would be helpful.

Finally, a non-concealment question. I am going to Asheville, NC. Since I want to be discrete and not have family members who I am with know I'm carrying, I don't want to have to disarm more than needed. I know Biltmore doesn't allow guns (and sometimes has a metal detector) so if we go there, I'll either try to unobtrusively put the gun/holster in my car trunk before we go in, or more likely, just leave it at the hotel. However, where else would anti-CCW rules likely be a problem? I'd possibly like to visit the Sierra Nevada Brewery. I know I'll be in a few bars since my uncle's wife is a musician and will be performing. My aunt and uncle will likely take me to what they consider to be must see spots for visitors, and I may go to some traditional tourist spots like museums (I'd like to go to the antique car museum at Grovewood Village and maybe the antique motorcycle museum, though I'm the only one who would likely care about the motorcycles so maybe not). Will those type of places likely pose an issue?

Last edited by chaim; June 21, 2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old June 21, 2019, 08:50 AM   #2
aarondhgraham

If they are as anti-gun as you say,,,
I don't believe it will matter at all which gun you carry.

You will get flak even if it's a NAA Mini in .22 short.

Have you done your research on NJ laws?

If I recall correctly, you can't load up with hollow point ammo.

Good luck,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 21, 2019, 08:56 AM   #3
lee n. field

Pocket carry is your friend.

Quote:
My new Taurus 856. I'll need to get it to the range for a few hundred rounds before I go to be sure it is reliable before I will carry it, but I want to have that done before this trip anyway (I enjoy the range and haven't been in almost 2 months since I've been so busy lately). It is a bit bigger than the P290, but the visible shapes outside the pocket will be softer and less obviously scream "gun". I do have a pocket holster from Simply Rugged on the way. This (times when I may need/want to pocket carry for maximum concealment) is specifically what I bought this gun for. Assuming it proves reliable after a couple hundred rounds, I'm currently leaning towards the Taurus for this trip. If the Taurus ends up not proving itself before the trip (I can't get enough range time in, or it has issues), the 2nd choice for this role would be my S&W 442 or Taurus 85CH, but I don't like the idea of 5 rounds (so it becomes more of a toss up which way I'm leaning).
LCP or snubby would be my choice, with the bias toward snubby.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 21, 2019, 09:07 AM   #4
JERRYS.

you're not staying in their house, so carry what you wish and mind state laws. when you go to their house you can properly lock the gun in your car in the driveway. when they make an ass of themselves by sarcastically commenting if you have a gun on you when you stand at their door, you can offer to let them pat you down in a return of sarcasm.
Old June 21, 2019, 09:10 AM   #5
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
Pocket carry is your friend.

LCP or snubby would be my choice, with the bias toward snubby.
^^^^ This if you want to minimize conflict.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 21, 2019, 09:16 AM   #6
BarbarianCBX

I dwell in NC. I carry a Sig P938 9mm 7 rd + 1 in a pocket holster all the time. I haven't noticed anyone checking out my pocket. We're a hugging family and nobody has ever asked what's in my pocket. NC law says private companies that don't want firearms on their premises must post saying weapons aren't allowed. Also, you can carry concealed in places serving alcohol, you just can't drink. If you decide to consume you must lock your firearm in your car, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old June 21, 2019, 09:23 AM   #7
unclenunzie

Revolver or lcp, pocket carry. Know the law before you go...
Old June 21, 2019, 11:15 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

LCP in De Santis Nemesis pocket holster. Very discreet carry that will never be noticed. Don't fret so much about "printing". Nobody is looking at your pockets.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 21, 2019, 01:10 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

LCP in pocket holster in back pocket. Unless someone grabs your butt, they won't know it's there. Even then, they will likely think it was your wallet.
Old June 21, 2019, 01:45 PM   #10
jonnyc

Aw hell.......go for the Desert Eagle!
Old June 21, 2019, 04:03 PM   #11
Nanuk

I don't visit people who are anti freedom.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 21, 2019, 04:27 PM   #12
pete2

Do you have a SAA you could carry with holster tied to leg like Matt Dillon? Might as well have some fun with them.
Old June 21, 2019, 04:31 PM   #13
AK103K

Just get a Smart Carry, and you can carry pretty much anything you want, and you can do it in a pair of shorts without a shirt if you want.
Old June 21, 2019, 07:44 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

In those kinds of circumstances, I go with a very small gun in a belly band worn below the belt.

If the gun is above the belt, it is subject to being discovered by hugs and normal horsing around kinds of contact.

The reason I go small is because I find it pretty uncomfortable to carry a large gun below the belt in a bellyband. If you wear your clothes very loose, it might not be that big of a deal, but I wear my clothes to fit me when I'm not wearing a gun since I can't always carry and I don't fancy having two sets of clothes.
Old June 21, 2019, 07:59 PM   #15
mk70ss

Carry the LCP in your pocket and never reveal you have it with you. Concealed carry means CONCEALED.
Old June 22, 2019, 06:46 AM   #16
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
you're not staying in their house, so carry what you wish and mind state laws. when you go to their house you can properly lock the gun in your car in the driveway. when they make an ass of themselves by sarcastically commenting if you have a gun on you when you stand at their door, you can offer to let them pat you down in a return of sarcasm.
Their house, their rules..doesn't make them asses..IMHO.
Or 'anti-freedom'....again, IMHO...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old June 22, 2019, 07:02 AM   #17
Siggy-06

Been carrying a LCP in my pocket since they came out. No one has ever discovered I carry it. Desantis Nemesis is a great lil holster.
Old June 22, 2019, 07:52 AM   #18
DMK

Quote:
I know Biltmore doesn't allow guns (and sometimes has a metal detector) so if we go there, I'll either try to unobtrusively put the gun/holster in my car trunk before we go in, or more likely, just leave it at the hotel. However, where else would anti-CCW rules likely be a problem? I'd possibly like to visit the Sierra Nevada Brewery. I know I'll be in a few bars since my uncle's wife is a musician and will be performing. My aunt and uncle will likely take me to what they consider to be must see spots for visitors, and I may go to some traditional tourist spots like museums (I'd like to go to the antique car museum at Grovewood Village and maybe the antique motorcycle museum, though I'm the only one who would likely care about the motorcycles so maybe not). Will those type of places likely pose an issue?
I used to have an estate membership about 4 years ago and have carried my CZ PCR IWB all over Biltmore, including the mansion and restaurant. I've never seen a metal detector there except once during admission to a ZZ Top concert on the grounds.

Don't carry in the brewery, bars or any time you may be consuming alcohol. Anywhere else NC is fine (including churches, restaurants and movie theaters) except for the usual verboten places (schools, police stations, govt offices, courts, post offices).

Regarding carrying in posted stores, malls and such, if you don't notice the sign, you would most likely be asked to leave. In the worst case, the legal penalty is an infraction and $500 fine. No criminal record, not even a misdemeanor.
Old June 22, 2019, 07:55 AM   #19
stinkeypete

Maybe instead of sneaking around, just do what you decide to do responsibly and legally.

Their house, their rules. You know that. Perhaps it’s best to examine yourself and decide if it’s more important for you to constantly carry a firearm than it is to estrange yourself from distant family. Sneaking around about it is disrespectful to your hosts and family, and that would be a point in which there isn’t discussion.

If you can’t bear to leave your gun in your car, the honest thing is to explain to your family how important it is to you, your unwillingness to compromise, and your regret at not visiting.
Old June 22, 2019, 08:01 AM   #20
DMK

Quote:
Maybe instead of sneaking around, just do what you decide to do responsibly and legally.

Their house, their rules. You know that. Perhaps it’s best to examine yourself and decide if it’s more important for you to constantly carry a firearm than it is to estrange yourself from distant family. Sneaking around about it is disrespectful to your hosts and family, and that would be a point in which there isn’t discussion.

If you can’t bear to leave your gun in your car, the honest thing is to explain to your family how important it is to you, your unwillingness to compromise, and your regret at not visiting.
Or, nobody has any business knowing what I'm carrying discreetly on my person. If I am not harming anyone and not breaking any laws, then it is my right to carry a weapon for self protection. I carry a concealed sidearm daily and I'm not going to change that just because of someone's irrational phobia.

People that are anti-gun and anti-self defense are also being disrespectful to other peoples rights.

What they don't know won't hurt them.
Old June 22, 2019, 09:31 AM   #21
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Or, nobody has any business knowing what I'm carrying discreetly on my person. If I am not harming anyone and not breaking any laws, then it is my right to carry a weapon for self protection.
Exactly! The point of concealed carry is concealed. Meaning nobody knows you have a gun.
If these relatives are so paranoid as to be looking for a suspicious bulge in my pants I would have no interest in being around them in the first place.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 22, 2019, 09:57 AM   #22
buck460XVR

Quote:
I am staying in a hotel, partly because my uncle and his wife have a small place, but also so I can carry without their rights getting in the way (they hate guns, they have a right to say no guns in their home).
This is much to-do about nothing. You are respecting their rights and not carrying in their home, they should respect your rights to legally carry anywhere outside of that.

You are trying to be discrete and not flaunt that right in their face. If they are family, they should know your stand on firearms and respect your choice. They should also recognize how much you are trying to avoid a family conflict. If they can't, it's their problem, not yours.
Old June 22, 2019, 10:55 AM   #23
kenny53

I vote for the LCP pocket carry in a holster. I do it all the time. I also been known to carry the LCR 22mag in a holster. Nobody knows. Just don't make a big deal out of carrying and don't bring the subject up. If the family brings up the evils of guns just deflect the question or subject. Tell them you are there to visit family not talk politics.
Old June 22, 2019, 10:55 AM   #24
stinkeypete

I completely agree with Buck (post 22). I was trying to express: Discretion is good, deception isn't.

Buck says "If they are family, they should know your stand on firearms and respect your choice."

I'd only add that if you are not sure they know your stand, gently help them understand your position.

You own an LCP- how is this not your obvious choice?

Last edited by stinkeypete; June 22, 2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old June 22, 2019, 11:51 AM   #25
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK
I used to have an estate membership about 4 years ago and have carried my CZ PCR IWB all over Biltmore, including the mansion and restaurant. I've never seen a metal detector there except once during admission to a ZZ Top concert on the grounds.
Irrespective of metal detectors, the venue's published policy is No Weapons.

https://www.biltmore.com/visit/visit...state-policies

Quote:
[Please note that the following are prohibited in Biltmore House:

Food and drink
Pets (except service animals)
Weapons*
Video recording and sketching
Photography and cell phone use that interferes with the enjoyment of other guests. See full photo policy.

For your safety and the protection of this historic home, all guests must enter through a security scanner for each entry to the building. In some circumstances, bags, packages, and boxes will also be inspected by security personnel. We reserve the right to refuse admission for any bag, parcel, or other item. Weapons are prohibited*.

*Law enforcement officers are not exempt unless coordinated and approved in advance by Biltmore’s Director of Security & Police Operations.
And according to www.handgunlaw.us North Carolina state law makes it unlawful to ignore a property's policy:

Quote:
On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. §14-415.11(c)