The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 28, 2006, 02:06 PM   #1
eski

help with suppressed glock 17

i'm new to the suppressor scene and i'm learning all i can.
my problem is that i have a glock 17 that is suppressed and i can't get it to cycle correctly.
i've read about recoil boosters but i'm not sure if i can use one with my can or not.
i live in texas and bought my can from john tibbetts.i have a 308,.22 rifle,.45,and a ruger 77/44 all suppressed and work great it's just the glock 17.
what can i do to make it cycle?
i've already tried a 12# recoil spring and that didn't work
please help

eski
Old June 28, 2006, 03:07 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Since the Glock is a tilt barrel design, you do in fact need a recoil booster such as a liner inertial decoupler or a Nielsen Device. What is the manufacturer of your can?
Old June 28, 2006, 03:29 PM   #3
eski

i bought it from john's guns.
where can i get a recoil booster or a neilsen device that will work with this can

eski
Old June 28, 2006, 03:41 PM   #4
shaggy

eski -

You should contact John Tibbets about the problem. A recoil booster/nielsen device is not something like a recoil spring you just buy and install. The can has to be designed to be used with a nielsen device and the neilsen device must be designed specifically for the gun/can combination. It doesn't sound as if the can is designed for use with a Nielsen device so you probably can't add one now. You might try some different ammo, but contacting the manufacturer directly is probably going to be your best option.
Old June 28, 2006, 03:43 PM   #5
eski

ok, thanks
Old July 3, 2006, 03:04 PM   #6
Beren@THR

FWIW, if you can't get a LID for your suppressor, consider getting a Beretta 92 with a threaded barrel. That model of pistol has a fixed barrel and does not need a LID to function.
Old July 4, 2006, 07:35 AM   #7
smince

Beretta 92 Does not have a "fixed barrel". It locks and tilts different to the Glock, but it isn't a fixed design.
Old July 6, 2006, 11:54 AM   #8
eski

so can i use a berretta or not.i was also looking at a taraus pt 92 and the barrel did not tilt much if any. i'm not sure if i can use either one of these guns for this can.
so once again can i use this can with either gun?
thanks

eski
Old July 6, 2006, 02:45 PM   #9
MisterPX

92's and PT92's will usually work without a lid, as they don't use the Browning tilt barrel, they have the lock block, and the barrel stays linear.
Old July 6, 2006, 04:34 PM   #10
eski

i'm thinking of purchasing a taraus pt92 i found one for a little over 300 dls.
if i doesn't function with my can where can i get a lighter recoil spring for it,also what else can i use to help the functionability of this gun and can combo.
oh i almost forgot can i use the stock barrel or do i need to get a different one if so any suggestions.

eski
Old July 8, 2006, 05:59 AM   #11
Beren@THR

Sorry I mixed my terms earlier, but the end is the same: the Beretta 92 series generally does NOT need a LID or booster.

Depending on your suppressor, you should be able to use the stock barrel - after someone threads it, of course. Ask the maker of your suppressor first.
Old July 8, 2006, 06:22 AM   #12
Powderman

If you're in the market for another suppressor, consider a Gemtech.

We recently got some for our clan-lab team, for use with Glock 22's. They do require a threaded barrel, also available from Gemtech, but they screw on and work just fine.
Old July 8, 2006, 09:43 AM   #13
MGRacer

Quote:
i'm thinking of purchasing a taraus pt92 i found one for a little over 300 dls.
if i doesn't function with my can where can i get a lighter recoil spring for it,also what else can i use to help the functionability of this gun and can combo.
oh i almost forgot can i use the stock barrel or do i need to get a different one if so any suggestions.

eski
Wolff springs makes reduced power springs. However, you will find that the Taurus PT92 will generally work without a booster or LID. Here is a link to the Wolff springs site:
http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/TaurusNF.html#Recoil

I use a SWR Omega PC-K2 on my Taurus without a booster and with factory springs and it works fine with my subsonic loads of 147 grain at about 1000 fps.

The higher sights are from Millett.
Old July 8, 2006, 01:28 PM   #14
eski

thanks everyone for your replies i'm encourage about getting me the taraus pt 92. once i get the gun and have the barrel threaded i'll post results.

eski