The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 30, 2016, 04:26 PM   #1
bsjwood

H&R 922

I have a H&R 922 (it was my grandfathers) it is in Good shape except for the firing pin. The serial number on the Grip is J13567.

How can I find out when it was made?

I have looked on line for the firing pin but not having any luck, can anyone suggest where to look?
Thanks
Old January 30, 2016, 04:53 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

For coil mainspring 922's firing pins are available here. For the early model with flat leaf mainspring, IIRC, the firing pin is in the hammer same as other revolvers of the era, and you may have to buy a hammer and firing pin to get one. That source is out of them though. Call this place and ask if they have it. Try eBay by searching on the whole hammer and not just the firing pin.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 13, 2016, 09:04 PM   #3
bsjwood

thanks i will call them
Old February 13, 2016, 11:07 PM   #4
hartcreek

Where is the serial number supposed to be on a 922 grip? The older style has a one piece grip so the only place that I can see where they would have put the number is where your fingers grip. Reason I ask is I was going to answer the fireing pin question and this 922 here in my hands has no number that I can see. A friend picked it up from a deceased relative and it has a broken spring. I have searched online but can find no photo of there this number is supposed to be stamped so I am suspecting that this may be a crime gun so I need a photo or better description of where the number is supposed to be.

I have tried to remove the grip to look for a number stamped on the frame but the single grip screw is stuck and the head is buggered

I just called my friend and told him my suspicians and if the suspicians are true that the gun needs to be disposed of.

Last edited by hartcreek; February 13, 2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old February 14, 2016, 06:46 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those serial numbers were either on the front of the grip or on the left side of the frame under the grip. The grip screw may have to be drilled out, but I would try using a small screw-driver bit in a drill press chuck first. Pad the drill press table, then chuck the screwdriver bit into the chuck and hold the press down so the bit is in the screw slot, while turning the chuck by hand (no power). That will work on almost all buggered screws.

Jim