The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 6, 2013, 12:57 PM   #1
acfdetroit

help identifying mauser

got this in a trade. was looking to order parts for it and scope it for deer hunting. its my first mauser and im having a bit of trouble figuring out what model it is. ive done some research and it seems to have far less markings than most here are the photos.

thats literally all the markings on the whole gun. any help would be appreciated. happy hunting!
Old December 6, 2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I THINK it is a Spanish (or Latin American) 1893 or 1895 or 1916 Mauser.
The 7-57mm Mauser marking is indicative.
But need a plan view to be sure.

Armies seldom mark their weapons as to caliber, this one probably stamped by an importer. Who may have removed the national crest, it looks like a reblue and stock refinish anyhow.
Old December 6, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
acfdetroit

well thank you very much for the info. after a bit of googling based on what you said i found this

1895 chile mauser
now this is dead nuts just like mine aside from i dont seem to have that small rod under the barrel tip im assuming for a bayonet.

also mine has a bent bolt but im assuming that could have been replaced. there are no markings on the bolt.

and lastly my strap mounts are on the left side of the gun as opposed to underneath.

but im assuming there were many variations?
Old December 6, 2013, 04:35 PM   #4
acfdetroit

i just found this. this is for sure it (Spanish M-1916 Short Rifle in 7mm) thank you very much buddy for pointing me in the right direction
Old December 6, 2013, 05:10 PM   #5
ttarp

That small rod under the barrel would be a cleaning rod, the notch on the bottom of the barrel band will be what your bayonet attaches to.
Old December 6, 2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Hawg

Its going to be expensive to put a scope on it. You will have to have it drilled and tapped and the bolt handle replaced and once you do mount the scope the original wing safety won't clear the scope.
Old December 6, 2013, 08:20 PM   #7
psychopuppy1

I cant see why it would cost too much to scope it! He said he already has the bent bolt, so if you use tall mounts, something that would clear a 50+ mm lens, all should be cool!
Old December 6, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Hawg

Bolt is bent yes but its straight where it comes out of the bolt body and then turns down. Tall enough mounts might clear the safety but I do not believe the bolt will work as is. This is my 98 that had a bent bolt. The mounts will clear a 50 MM scope but the bolt handle and safety would not. It cost me 15 bucks a hole to have the receiver d&t many years ago. I had the stripper clip hump ground off so I could use a rear mount with two screws instead of just one.

Old December 6, 2013, 09:12 PM   #9
acfdetroit

found this on www.scopemounts.com. no price listed,cant imagine itd be more than 50 bucks. probably less. ill call tomorrow. thanks for your help guys.
Old December 7, 2013, 12:58 AM   #10
Jim Watson

And you can shoot it with the iron sights for no added cost, like the various armies did and do.

Well, you might have to put on a taller front sight blade to get the zero down to where you encounter deer and beer cans. Most of those old military rifles assumed you opened fire long before you could see the whites of their eyes.
Old December 7, 2013, 01:13 AM   #11
Scorch

Like Hawg Haggen said, you would have to have it drilled and tapped for scope mounts before you could mount a scope. Or you could use the scout mount shown. But either way, look at the bore of the rifle before you do anything, it may not be worth spending the money to scope a rifle you will never hit anything with.
Old December 7, 2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Paul B.

Let's determine if it's a 93 or 95 Mauser. Remove the bolt and look at the bolt face. If it's flat on the botton then it's an 1893 action. If it's round, it's an 1895 action. It may be 1916 Spanish Mauser but it's the action that determines what it is. I'll bet it's a 93, proably made at the Oviedo Arsenal in Spain. That's my best guess.
Paul B.

Tags
bolt action , mauser