The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 3, 2000, 08:27 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify some .30 carbine cartidges I have come across.

The ammo was found in the house of a former WWII MP, who had spent the war guarding German prisoners in Kansas. He had several war-issue firearms in the house and I believe that this ammo may also be WWII manufacture.

The case is made out of either steel or aluminium and the cases vary from a powder grey to a dull, metallic finish. Don't know whether the variance is from residue, corrosion, etc. The bullets are copper-jacketed ball.

The cases are stamped with an "E" at the 10 o'clock position, a "C" at the 2 o'clock position and a "43" at the 6 o'clock position.

Primers are either covered completely in a purple sealant or have a ring of purple around the primer.
Old October 3, 2000, 11:39 AM   #2
Quantrill

I believe that the "EC" stands for Evansville Chrysler Plant where ammo was made during the war and the cases are a mild steel used because of the scarcity of brass. Quantrill
Old October 3, 2000, 03:18 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Correct on both counts. EC and ECS (Evansville Chrysler Sunbeam) are also found on steel case .45 ACP. The .30 carbine is non-corrosive, but the .45 ACP is corrosive.

Jim
Old October 4, 2000, 08:13 PM   #4
Big Bunny

I have seen the .45s reloaded OK... but not the .30M1, but there seems little need nowdays.
Old October 5, 2000, 02:28 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have reloaded steel .45 cases just to see what problems there were. The only one I found was that necks cracked earlier than with brass cases. Of course, the Army didn't give a darn about my reloading when copper and brass were in such tight supply.

I have heard the stories about steel cases causing excessive wear on loading dies and/or chambers, but I can't imaging how many thousands of rounds it would take to cause significant wear over brass cases. I think those are probably scare stories not based on any actual experience.

(The U.S. never was able to solve the problems involved in manufacturing steel .30 rifle cases during WWII. Use of steel case ammo by Germany during WWII caused some problems, mainly due to the melting of the case lacquer in hot MG chambers. AFAIK, the steel cases themselves gave no trouble either for the Germans or for the Soviet bloc which used them for everything.)

Jim

Old October 6, 2000, 05:14 PM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

Thanks to everyone for your help!