The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2009, 09:03 AM   #26
oletymer

The people using baby names for shotguns are probably gay. This has been one of my gripes. Learn to use proper names identifies or it shows you as an mall ninja and inexperienced shooter.
Old February 28, 2009, 09:53 AM   #27
SmokeyVol

I agree competely. It is the result of a new generation raised on video games instead of real guns. There are far too many mall ninja SWAT team wannabees with juvenuile attitudes.

I have four SHOTGUNS, all blued and all with nice figured walnut stocks. A Browning Citori O/U, a Remington 1100 G3, a Remington 870 Wingmaster, and a vintage Winchester Model 12. All of them are 12 gauge fine works of craftsmanship and not over accesorized toys.

Last edited by SmokeyVol; February 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old February 28, 2009, 10:34 AM   #28
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I agree competely. It is the result of a new generation raised on video games instead of real guns. There are far too many mall ninja SWAT team wannabees with juvenuile attitudes.
Wow. You guys are really something else. Sure, we all have our little gripes. I personally can't stand it when people can't be bothered with punctuation or grammar but to start a thread for the simple purpose of attacks and name calling because you don't like the term "shotty"? Give me a break.

How has this thread remained open this long?

I was raised with video games AND real guns. How about that? I'm really sorry that I'm not part of the "old guy" generation. Really I am, but you "old guys" need to get the stick out of your rears and go on with life.

You know the reason most guys use those terms you don't like so much? It's because they have never been around someone who could show them otherwise. Do you really think that having an attitude like that displayed in this thread is going to encourage them to stick around and learn? No, it's not. It's going to drive them away, make them hate all the old guys with guns and figure the only good place for guns IS video games. Then we've got an entire new set of voters against us. Yep, good move fellas. Keep it up.
Old February 28, 2009, 10:44 AM   #29
Buckskinner Bart

Shotties and ya'll

As wrong as shotty sounds to me,I reckon it ain't. But "ya'll"? It ought to be y'all. You know, you all. Sorry.

...all who wander are not lost.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:48 AM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
Everybody?
Well not everybody but more do than don't.
Old February 28, 2009, 01:12 PM   #31
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oletymer
The people using baby names for shotguns are probably gay.
How does this have ANYTHING to do with the subject at hand?

Quote:
why is it acceptable to bastardize shotgun names?
I'm one picky jerk. I can't stand seeing terms botched. "Caliber" for cartridge. "Clip" for magazine, etc. I do agree that "bastardized" terms may not be appropriate to place in a title or during a formal discussion.

But I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion otherwise. After a discussion is established or if you're talking to friends for instance, I see no wrong in using those terms. Reason? I merely think they're all nicknames. Have you never called a friend of yours or referred him/her by a shortened version of their name or a different one altogether?

I see people named Richard called by "Dick". Guys named John by "Jack". How did this originate? Why would it be universally be accepted to refer to people by a different term, yet get torqued by giving an inanimate(sp) object the same treatment?

I'm not trying to stir the pot. But this sufferer of OCD doesn't see a huge issue.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 28, 2009, 01:17 PM   #32
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

This is treading a very thin wire strung over The Pit Of Closure...

Here's my take.....

I find the use of "Shotty" "Mossie" etc annoying.

However, if someone convinces me that he/she went through a few thousand shells since Michaelmas and their shotgun sports a good set of wear marks THEY put there, they can call it any darn thing they want.

But...

Using the term "Ultimate" in the same paragraph with any word meaning 'Shotgun" skirts the edge of acceptance.
Old February 28, 2009, 01:29 PM   #33
fisherman66

Don't bother me none. It's a baskins robins kind of world. Now, the clip/mag thing...

Quote:
Quote:
I'm an old phart, for all I know a shotty is something you order in a gay bar.
If calling a shotgun a shottie is juvenile, then gay bashing is infantile. Grow up.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:20 PM   #34
strat81

Get back to driving your Caddy.

Old February 28, 2009, 03:33 PM   #35
Pbearperry

pet gun names

I don't care if someone refers to Brownings as Brownies etc.What really bothers me is when someone refers to his guns as his girls,his children etc.That's bizarre.:barf:
Old February 28, 2009, 03:42 PM   #36
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So me referring to my 500 as my ugly black girlfriend creeps ya out? Bummer deal dude!
Now had I named a gun on my way out of the gun store it would creep me out but like dave mcC will attest, a HD/SD shotgun needs worn in until it is an extension of your self. When you spend enuff hours shooting the gun and sleeping next to it, A name seems to attach... at least for me...
Brent
Old February 28, 2009, 04:16 PM   #37
Microgunner

I hate those abbreviated pet names also. Sounds too British. Not that I have anything against the Britt's but we're certainly not British and have the scars to prove it.
Old February 28, 2009, 05:42 PM   #38
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds too British.
....gay??? .....British???

Egads! Is this forum being overrun by Limey poofters? What a delicious thought.

It seems to me to be pretty simple. Calling things (or people, for that matter) by their right names is a sign of respect -- it's a polite, classy thing to do unless you know them very well indeed. (I even get a bit crabby when people refer to celebrities or politicians by their first names, or god forbid by nicknames: and just when did you last have a beer with "A-Rod," or "Rush," or....? You get the point.)

If someone starts a thread about his "tricked-out Mossy," or whatever, I'm probably just going to ignore it. If I find his (or her -- don't wanna be sexist here) language generally annoying -- isn't that what the "ignore" function is for? You can make these people go away, and then you won't have to worry about them.

Just pay them no mind, move on, and set a good example in your own posts; a person doesn't have to hang out here long to figure out which members are experienced, knowledgeable, worth listening to and emulating.

Miss Manners would NEVER call hers a "shottie." And the Brits have Purdeys, so they don't have this problem -- what else are ya gonna call one of THOSE??
Old February 28, 2009, 06:38 PM   #39
Evan Thomas

Oh, and...

Yes... I do refer to the 20 gauge shotgun as "Miss Remington," and to the 12 gauge (youth model) as "Master Mossberg."
Old February 28, 2009, 07:58 PM   #40
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No bashing of Gays, Brits,Gay Brits, or folks who say "Shottie".

No bashing at all. That's not what we're here for.

Back on topic.....

I googled BA/UU/R a few months back and found it in stuff written in Spanish or Portuguese and German as well as the stuff I spout (or is it spew) in American English.

Am I mad they use my "Intellectual Property"?

No. I'm happy the word's getting out.

One thing I've maintained for a long time. The effort and commitment needed to train with a shotgun can cause personal growth. One has to control oneself before he or she can control the shot.

Anyone,IMO, who puts forth that effort and time can call their shotgun anything they want.

Maybe some of us need to hit the range more....
Old February 28, 2009, 09:03 PM   #41
ritepath

I always say, Model 12, Model 11, 29, 31 ect...
Old March 2, 2009, 09:55 AM   #42
Chuckusaret

Just had the same discussion on another site. Most people prefer not to call a shotgun a "Shotty" or hear the word "Shotty". I do not like the it either and will not use the word. It does not sound manly according to my wife. Nuff said...It is a shotgun.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:12 PM   #43
oneounceload

if "shotgun" is too long to type, I am agreeable with SG or similar nomenclature. If we older folks have a responsibility to pass on these grand traditions and encourage the youth to become the future of our sport, then with that comes maturity and responsibility to call it what it is....a shotgun.

But I think we have beat this to death for the moment - thanks to all who voiced their views - even to those who didn't agree with me....
Old March 4, 2009, 03:40 PM   #44
dgludwig

As long as we're airing out our pet peeves, one of mine is when people afix the female gender to their firearm, you know "I took her out today and she shot real good." But, then again, I'm older than most of you and was raised in a time when you never addressed an adult by their first name and always said "thank you" (I even thank the toll booth operators when I hand them my money- now, I've got to break that habit ). To continue my stream of pettiness, I hate it when someone says "no problem" when I think they mean "you're welcome."

Okay, I feel better now. And I suppose "shotty" is better than "snotty"
Old March 4, 2009, 05:43 PM   #45
zippy13

While in school, I was taught that language is living and dynamic. The older I get, the more I realize how rapidly language actually changes. No problem for you're welcome doesn't bother me since it's the equivalent of it was nothing which is the standard response to thank you in several languages. What really bothers me is when common phrases are inadvertently corrupted. Saying I could care less when I couldn't care less is appropriate is a common faux pas. Folks are lazy and parrot phrases as they think they hear them, without actually digesting the meaning.
Old March 4, 2009, 07:19 PM   #46
Big Bill

I named my Winchester Defender "winnie".
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old March 4, 2009, 08:12 PM   #47
BigJimP

I don't disagree with most of you / but I think we're making too big a thing out of this stuff guys ( on both sides ).

I would prefer a little less slang .... but so what ... / this is meant to be a forum where we can all relax a little and bs about our shotguns / pick on each other in a good natured way / share some info if somebody asks a question or wants some input ..../ and while some of it gets beat to death, in my opinon/if its what people want to know - they should ask - and as long as its respectful, so what.

We've had guys or ladies lurking in here - with some really bizarre questions, at least in my mind. But so what / if they are that far out there - I tend to let it go and not respond / if I take my time to respond ...then I do the best I can.

Dave seems to be real even handed - keeps things in perspective and good natured - and I would never say I have his patience / but lets all just help him continue to do it without aggravating him / or eachother. I guess the quality of the question / the quality of the info given / the sarcasm and dry humor is fun / and all of that makes more difference to me than whether a guy uses slang or not.
Old March 4, 2009, 09:16 PM   #48
zippy13

Big Bill
You named your shotgun after Winnie Cooper (Danica McKellar) of TV's The Wonder years?

Big Jim
+1 on your kudos to Dave Mc
Old March 5, 2009, 05:53 PM   #49
OHdeerhuntingmarine

how about "sangwich" instead of sandwich? hahaha

or, "jeet yet?" instead of "did you eat yet?" I love it. but "ya'll" is somehow labeled as hickish, but dang it's one heck of a useful word.