The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 8, 2008, 01:36 PM   #1
tropicman

1872 open top

Hi.....does anyone know if a shoulder stock for an 1860 Navy will fit my open top? I see that some of the 1860's have a notch in the backstrap. I wonder if the backstrap from an 1860 Navy is interchangeable with an 1872 open top?
Old November 8, 2008, 04:56 PM   #2
timothy75

I think you mean 1860 army, but yes you can swap them although I think its illegal to add a shoulder stock to a cartridge handgun. Good luck
Old November 8, 2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Hawg

Shoulder stocks are legal for cap and ball but not cartridge revolvers. You'd also have to have the frame drilled and tapped for the side mounting screws and the bottom of the recoil shield notched on both sides.
Old November 8, 2008, 05:48 PM   #4
tropicman

shoulder stock

Thanks guys.....I didn't know it was illegal to add a shoulder stock, good thing I asked.
Old November 8, 2008, 11:46 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

You can add a shoulder stock to your open top as long as it has a 16 inch barrel or longer..... or is it 18 inches? Yeah, I believe it is 18.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 9, 2008, 07:12 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

16 inches is the shortest legal length. Shoulder stocks on BP and C&R stuff can get very confusing. My C96 is legal with a detachable shoulder stock, go figure
I just don't get it, I can shoulder stock a 10 rd 7.62, 5" semi-auto pistol but not a 6 rd revolver.
Do you have to be 21 to buy a cartridge conversion? I'm surprised that the conversion cylinders aren't controlled by ffl laws.
Old November 9, 2008, 08:35 AM   #7
mykeal

Quote:
I'm surprised that the conversion cylinders aren't controlled by ffl laws.
They are.

It is legal for anyone to build their own firearms for their own use. Once you have built it you cannot sell it or give it away; it can be inherited, however. Changing a percussion revolver to a cartridge revolver by changing the cylinder is considered 'building your own firearm', and is therefore legal.

If you sell the revolver you must sell it with the percussion cylinder. You may then sell the cartridge cylinder separately and the new owner can 'build his own firearm'. While there is no clear prohibition about it, I would never ship a percussion revolver to it's new owner in the same container with a cartridge cylinder. Keep the transactions as far apart from each other as you can.