The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 1, 2005, 01:18 AM   #26
Raymond Losli

Wind -13 mph average ... that does not sound fun
To tell you the truth cross wind sucks for all weights & Cal. does not matter what cal. you shoot.
I do think a Heavy will maybe buck a head-wind better seems to bother my .223 @ little more than others.
Wind is wind, you just have to know your weapon, shot a lot and just be Current./ It hard sometimes if your not a one gun guy.
Old April 2, 2005, 03:34 PM   #27
sscoyote

I used to use my ISSI AR .223AI 26" 9 twist Hart-barrelled AR, and had great results to about 500 with the 69 Nosler. But i also had a "tactical" system established for it-- 4.5-14X Burris/Ball. Plex reticle, and Leica LRF. But i wouldn't take a 500 yd. shot in any kind of wind-- mostly am, or later pm hours when wind was typically down. I tried the 75 A-Max, and 70 gr. JLK VLD, but they were poor killers at 3000 fps mv when the range stretched. Truth is if i ever go back to it it'll be the 75/77's as they may have a better compromise between frontal area (for long-range expansion) weight, and BC.
Old April 2, 2005, 10:15 PM   #28
Raymond Losli

Hey also: back to the original Question /... " 223 or 308 and I’m going to use it to hunt coyotes up to 500 yards."

I also have a super quality AR set-up. But, @ 500 yrds if you were to Lung Shoot a Coyote.
No question about it... a .308 would be the safe bet.

Ok to hit a Coyote that will hold still long enough Between trotting and dodging in and out, @ 500 yrds.
In reality that's the big question.
Old April 3, 2005, 01:21 AM   #29
oneeyeross

I wish

that the coyotes would be that far away. The last one I shot was about 35 yards. She was eating at the "Cafe Ross," everymorning. Snacking on chicken..

(Notice that is in the past tense). .22 rimfire. Works wonders.

Now, at LONG RANGE... .308 would probably be better.
Old April 3, 2005, 01:54 AM   #30
Lawyer Daggit

For most 'sportsmen' a 500 yard shot would be speculative at best and likely to leave a wounded animal. If someone was mindful to take such a shot there is probably going to be a lot of luck involved as a result of the need to allow for windage and bullet drop and given the anemic ballistics of a .223 at that type of range I think a 308 would be the better choice.

I agree with an earlier post that a person who can handle this type of shot need not ask which is best- they are in the 'expert category', if you are not I suggest you look at what 500 yards really looks like and revise your perameters and choose a calibre accordingly.

I don't mean this comment insultingly- there are few people up to consistently and humanely taking shots at 500 yards.
Old April 12, 2005, 08:11 PM   #31
appleguy53

I use a .308 and it has always done a wonderful job out to 400-500 yds acknowledging the fact that theres 54" of bullet drop(150 yd zero), and windage isn't as finicky as the lighter .223. Avoid the lighter bullets. I stick with 165-168 grain BT and it's usually all over if I can get a good rest to shoot from.