The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2014, 05:58 PM   #1
skizzums

have you HP'd your own mold?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l-Machine-Shop

I was picking through a couple ideas from forums, ad really wanna give it a whirl. I have a mill and a lathe and don't think it'd be too much of a pain. I would like to hear some feedback on who has done it, and what your results were, and are there any other pointers I need to know before starting(besides using a mold I could care less about). my goal is to do a lee 124 TC 9mm, and the lee 230gr 300BLK on one side. it looks like a lot of fun and a huge $$ saver

pics pleeeez
Old September 3, 2014, 04:47 AM   #2
Mike / Tx

Well I haven't done the mold, but I have built a pin for one that already was.

That said if I had a lathe and mill, well I would probably have done a ton of things. As it is I only have a drill press, a couple of carbide tool bits I use from time to time in my makeshift tool holder, (vice and support blocks) C-clamped to my press table.

I am however pretty handy with a mill file and hack saw so that helps as well. I managed to fabricate a decent enough looking brass and aluminum trigger guard for an older M77 Ruger I have, but once I found a steel replacement I swapped it back out.

IF you have the tools pick out a cheap mold and give it a try. The worst you have to loose is a little time and whatever you have in the mold.
Old September 4, 2014, 07:02 PM   #3
skizzums

well I will definitely give it a try. I have a couple 358s that I really don't use, ill try em out for practice, honestly though, it will likely be a couple months before I get to it
Old September 5, 2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

When you start out, just remember, its always easier to go bigger. Start small and work up.
Old September 5, 2014, 09:25 PM   #5
skizzums

hear ya loud and clear