The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2013, 08:19 PM   #1
brokenanew

No more Sierra 77 SMK's being made?

So my accurate load requires the Sierra 77gr SMk. It was the only bullet I could get under .5" groups (.235" best-4 shot) The 75 gr hornadys didn't even get me under 1" neither did the 69gr Sierras. But the 77grainer was pretty. Though I get .6" or so with the 60 gr Vmax, I want a slightly heavier one for longer ranges.

Anyways my question is, are they not making them anymore?
Not only is EVERYONE out of stock but one website where I have gotten some supply before, states they they will no longer be available in the future...whaaaa?

Does anyone know anything?
Old January 23, 2013, 08:22 PM   #2
hk33ka1

I don't load this bullet but I would contact Sierra direct and ask 1.800.223.8799

Almost every popular US made gun and ammo product is sold out or close to being sold out around the world. I'm betting this bullet is too, and will be available when Sierra makes some more and the panic buying slows down.
Old January 23, 2013, 08:37 PM   #3
hodaka

The 77 Noslers work well for me. Just in case............
Old January 23, 2013, 10:17 PM   #4
kraigwy

I really doubt Sierra will stop making the 77s for the same reason you can't find them............everyone uses them, the Army, High Power Shooters, Black Hills, Federal.....its too popular to stop making.

Just gonna have to look every time you go to the GS, or get on Midway's and everyone else's site. Grab them when you can.

I have plenty, but that doesn't stop me from grabbing another box when I see them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 24, 2013, 01:05 AM   #5
Jerry45

Still listed on their site. https://www.sierrabullets.com/index....ge=items&cat=9 scroll down close to the bottom of the page.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Jimro

Everyone is out of stock on a LOT of components, especially for anything related to 223/5.56.

I'd try the Nosler 77's as a substitute, they seemed to shoot just fine in early lots of Mk262 made by Black Hills.

Jimro
Old January 24, 2013, 02:04 PM   #7
B. Lahey

They are out of stock because they are popular.

I'll also point toward the Nosler 77gr, have had good results.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:13 AM   #8
Jerry45

Everyone was out of 69 gr. I ordered straight from Sierra and had them in less than a week.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Slamfire

This is nothing more than a gripe, but Sierra does not need to sell you 77 SMK to make fabulous profits. With Government organizations, such as Homeland Security buying 750 million rounds of ammunition http://rt.com/usa/news/dhs-ammo-rounds-security-560/ a pop, and incidentally, they pay more than top dollar, there is no wonder there is a bullet shortage.

All of us are competing against Government "No Bid" sole source contracts with ammunition makers. And given that the power of the Government to tax is unlimited, but our personnel discretionary funds are not, it is no wonder why we can't buy or afford ammunition. The Government has cornered the market and driven prices sky high.