The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 21, 2011, 12:43 AM   #1
Fargazer

Upgraded 870 Express 20 Gauge for SD

Well, with a bit of online assistance, I've put a few enhancements into my Remington 870 Tactical Express in 20 Gauge:
  • Supercell recoil pad
    • A pain finding the screw head in the pad, but other than that went OK
  • Forged extractor
    • Easy install
  • Oversized Vang safety
    • Not sure I like this one - I can definitely feel the safety when on, and I like the click when I turn it off. When I engage the safety back on though I don't feel that definite "click"; it works, but I miss that feel. Putting the safety back on is not typically something done under stress, so I'm not sure I should put a lot of weight to that.
  • Elzetta 3 cell light and mount
    • Solid mount, easy access to the switch (particularly with the 3 cell light) - very pleased
    • the bead is very visible when the light is on - given that, I don't see a big need for a fancy front sight.
It has a Remington +2 extension, but I have a Wilson Magazine extension on back order to replace it (mostly for the stronger spring, and lack of a need for the brace). That and a carrier dog follower spring from an 1187 will be the last changes to the gun for a while. The only other thing I plan to do to it, once the stock finish starts to wear, is to send it to Robar for a NP3+ treatment.

The only stupid thing I did was open the trigger group back up to look at the safety a second time; in the process, after I removed the spring I moved the safety and popped out the small ball bearing (safety switch detent ball), which immediately shot off to parts unknown. I have another two on the way from Numrich (I have faith I can repeat stupidity, hence the spare); once it arrives, I'll put the trigger group back in and try it out. Se la vie; at least I kept the spring.

Next week my wife and I are taking some basic shotgun instruction at a local skeet range; we are not new to shooting, but both of us are shotgun newbs, and we don't want to start practicing without at least some foundation from someone who is experienced. I was hoping I could bring the SD 20 gauge with me, but I don't think the new part will be in on time; we will see. I've got a 20 gauge Wingmaster I can bring along instead.

As soon as I have the proper part in place, my wife and I will shoot the living hell out of the SD shotgun. Who knows, if after basic instructions she tries out skeet or trap and likes it, she may have a new shooting hobby! I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old October 21, 2011, 06:07 AM   #2
LilHog

I've got a 20ga 870 as well for home defense, it's the compact jr with the 18" barrel and 12" LOP stock. It's a fantastic gun and it see's lots of use every weekend at the range. I've got a modified choke installed and I do fairly well at shooting clay targets and anything else for that matter. All I've done to it is add a remington 2 shot mag extension and add some weight to the stock. It shoots slugs excellent and is very accurate. I like the fact that I can get back on target very quickly campared to my 12ga which has more felt recoil. I've come to the conclusion that a nice 20ga is a pretty much do everything gun, and is really all I need. It gets the job done quite nicely.
Old October 21, 2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sounds good over all, a couple minor points.....

"...Wife and I will shoot the living Hell out of it...".

Shoulda done that first,before thumbing through the catalogs.

A extension clamp is a very good idea. An unclamped extension gets bumped, it can bend the mag tube and mess up the threads. Replacement is a factory job.

Also, clamping the thing acts to stiffen up the barrel harmonics. Sometimes, group size with slugs is halved.

FYI, the 20 gauge former YE 870 here is a snake fast, hard hitting and kicking shotgun. I handle even the Rottweil Brenekke slugs OK, but I recommend starting off with light loads. With heavy ones, this little pony has a Clydesdale kick.

And also for the record, a 20 gauge repeater,in trained hands, is an awesome CQB weapon.
Old October 27, 2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Fargazer

My wife and I had our first shotgun lesson at a local skeet range (Montlake Classic Clays) Tuesday. Well worth the time and expense - Craig Sheaffer was our instructor, and gave us an excellent overview of shotgun fundamentals for stance, hold, and general technique - both for moving targets as in skeet, and also for a home defense situation (sit tight, call 911, and blast intruders entering the room - don't try to clear the house).

My wife was very pleased with the new shotgun, and had lots of fun - we used target loads, and the recoil didn't bother her at all. She was even able to hit a moving clay target on her first try She just bought a small weight to help strengthen her support arm, so I suspect she's starting to think seriously about skeet or trap.

The only thing on the new shotgun I had to change was the position of the light (my fault); it was protruding a bit too far back toward the shooter, and racking the shotgun risked a finger hitting the flashlight butt. It's now positioned properly.
Old October 28, 2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Great start. The thing about the light illustrates perfectly why we need to shoot our shotguns lots.

That weight will help your spouse, but some dry mounts with a shotgun KNOWN TO BE EMPTY a few times a week will help tremendously.

Now go shoot some more.....