The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Marquezj16

Savage Shotguns

I saw one at Dick's and it was set up for HD. It had ghost ring sights with extended mag. Anybody own or shoot one? What are your thoughts?
Old October 13, 2011, 06:01 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

Most folk prefer a single bead over ghost ring sights for HD.
Old October 14, 2011, 03:57 AM   #3
kozak6

It's a Chinese made copy of the Ithaca 37.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:44 PM   #4
ldogg29

Savage Stevens 350-Nothing but positives after about 300 plus rounds through mine. I have the field/home defense combo. All steel and smooth as Butta..
Old October 14, 2011, 10:55 PM   #5
egor20

I keep one in the barn in a lock box, TBH its a great gun, I have around 400 rounds through it, no problems.

I enjoy the fact that its a bottom eject, so a few of my left handed friends have no problem shooting it.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old October 15, 2011, 01:22 AM   #6
Marquezj16

Thanks ldogg29 and egor20.

ldogg - do both barrels have bead sights?
Old October 15, 2011, 11:53 AM   #7
ldogg29

Yes, both bead. I'll post a pic of her all dolled up in her HD outfit when I have some extra time.
Old October 16, 2011, 09:14 AM   #8
oletymer

Three and four hundred rounds. Wow, now that's testimonial that is awe inspiring. I have several guns with over one hundred thousand rounds and they are just getting warmed up. They are not made on China though.
Old October 16, 2011, 10:13 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While not trying to knock chi-com imports once again...
Oletymer got me thinkin'...

While I do not consider a few hundred rounds to be an example of exemplary performance...

My ol' Mossberg 20 gauge I still use and is still 100% reliable saw some real torture...
One time I tried to see iff I could do rapid fire fast reload drills enuff to make a barrel glow red...

Well I had clusters of 5 rounds all over my picnic table. Someone would have my next 5 rounds in easy reach... I never got it to glow but I know that was WELL over 100 rounds as fast as I could light them off. She now has untold thousands down the pipe.

Under a half dozen field strip and thorough cleanings I suspect too...

For years I squirted some WD-40 on a paper towel and cram it down the muzzle with what ever soft stick I had handy. Squirt a little in the action.... shake energetically to remove excess and she was as clean as new...

Brent
Old October 16, 2011, 03:05 PM   #10
ldogg29

Oletymer- The OP asked about one of the guns I own and I provided an answer.

No one in this thread cares or asked about your guns that have over one hundred thousand rounds through them so please move on.

Last edited by ldogg29; October 16, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old October 16, 2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

i dog, that was one hundred thousand rounds.

For some of us, 300 rounds is a good morning's worth.

And not to disparage you or your shotgun, before I placed a weapon on the ready list, it would see way more than 300 rounds, just to make sure it will work when I need it to at a crucial time.
Old October 16, 2011, 04:44 PM   #12
ldogg29

Thanks Dave, edited my response and couldnt agree more. The OP asked if anyone owned one and what they thought of them so I answered.
Old October 17, 2011, 06:26 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're welcome.

Re round counts. There's a lot of upside to a high round count.

Proficiency with THAT arm. Knowing it like your tongue knows your teeth is an incredible tactical advantage.

The knowledge that it will work is great comfort in a crisis. Confidence in the tools and all that.

And effectiveness is greatly improved after a few K of shells through Ol' Trusty Rusty.

So, shoot the heck out of it. If it breaks, better to find out on the range at 1 PM than in your bedroom at 1 AM.....
Old October 17, 2011, 08:09 PM   #14
Marquezj16

Is it really made in China? I'll have to look closer next time.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:03 AM   #15
oletymer

Yes, they are truly made in China,
Old October 19, 2011, 08:35 AM   #16
Marquezj16

Since it's a copy of the Ithaca 37, it's a good design then. But I guess how well it was manufactured would determine it's reliability.

I know we are suppose to buy US made products but if you look around, it's getting harder and harder to.
Old October 19, 2011, 12:08 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

My understanding from a conversation with an expert smith who had inspected at least one of the Chinese facilities manufacturing guns for export to the USA is there can be a big difference in execution. They start out with quality steel and while some parts may be well made others are not. It isn't so much that the Chinese are not competent, but as factor in at least one plant is a modified quota system which sometimes leads to workers rushing procedures. Somewhat over used equipment and inadequate plant lighting and climate control don't help.
Old October 19, 2011, 12:51 PM   #18
oneounceload

Chinese guns are built to sell at a relatively cheap price point. Labor costs notwithstanding, something has to give to do that - whether that is improper, poor, or non-existent hardening, poor quality materials to begin with, shoddy workmanship or assembly procedures, or any of a myriad of other reasons, cheap guns are cheap because they were made that way to sell.
Maybe you'll get a decent one, maybe not - the old adage about the cheapest tool in the tool box is also the most expensive, comes to mind
Old October 19, 2011, 01:54 PM   #19
Rugerismisticness

Buy American and wait till Ruger has thier pump shotgun, or just go with a Benelli Nova/supernova.
Old October 19, 2011, 08:58 PM   #20
PT-92

I do know of people that have had nothing but good things to say of the Norinco brand of both their 870 and 1911 replicas. Turkey also makes some decent/affordable stuff as well. I agree if one can afford the U.S. product, buy it. If not, consider the alternatives.

-Cheers
Old October 20, 2011, 09:04 PM   #21
Marquezj16

I took a closer look and I was not impressed. Fit and finish looked and felt cheap. Where the stock met the receiver was not flush. I looked at the barrel and it said Manufactured in the PRC (Peoples Republic of China) Imported by Savage USA. Might not be the exact words but something like it. I could not rack the bolt because there was a trigger lock on it and the salesperson could not loosen it up or remove it due to store policy (not his fault). The forend rattled and felt very plastic. I was hoping it would at least feel ok but it just did not feel right. I guess I will not buy this one.

I did look at the Benelli Nova Tactical and that was pretty impressive. However, the LOP on it seems a tad long for my reach.

So the hunt for another shotgun continues.

BTW, I have two 870s (Express 7 rd and Shurshot Turkey), a Beretta A3901 and a Weatherby PA-08. I don't know why I need another but I keep looking for that "Tactical Shotgun" with ghost ring sights.
Old October 20, 2011, 09:09 PM   #22
oneounceload

Quote:
Since it's a copy of the Ithaca 37, it's a good design then. But I guess how well it was manufactured would determine it's reliability.

I know we are suppose to buy US made products but if you look around, it's getting harder and harder to.
The US version is made in Ohio now

It isn't hard to buy American - it is just don't want to spend the money - they would rather spend XXX on something from China then double that from a US maker