The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 4, 2011, 05:48 PM   #1
benfishin

Suppressing a 7 inch barrel

I thought that I had my ducks in a row, when I ordered a Primary weapon Systems Diablo with a 7" barrel and chambered in 7.62x 39. My intent was to order a suppressor for it, end up with a barrel/suppressor combined length less than 16 inches and still be able to shoot cheap surplus ammo. Now, I am told that the unburnt powder will damage the baffles and bullet stabalization might be a problem. Anyone have any ideas about how I might rescue this situation?
Old July 5, 2011, 11:00 AM   #2
rjrivero

You're asking A LOT from a suppressor. There will be a ton of un-burnt powder that gets thrown out of the end of a 7" barrel in 7.62x39. It will indeed erode the baffels with enough time.

The best thing to do is to get a suppressor that has a muzzle break type muzzle device. The muzzle device will take the lion's share of the flame cutting/erosion and is much cheaper to replace than the suppressor.

The other thing to consider is a nice STAINLESS STEEL suppressor. I don't know of too many rifle suppressors that will cover use on a 7" barrel for their cans. I think 10" is the shortest I've seen with full warantee.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:28 PM   #3
rjrivero

Zak Smith makes a suppressor that can handle the 7" muzzle blast. He says their 223A suppressor can handle full auto on a 7" barrel.

Link Here.
Old July 13, 2011, 03:40 AM   #4
benfishin

7" Suppressor

I contacted Zac. They have a suppressor for a 7 inch full auto 5.56 but haven't done any research on the 7.62 x 39. He didn't seem interested in coming up with something for my short rifle. It seems to me that with the cost of ammo climbing, shooters would be turning to the cheap Russian ammo as a way to shoot longer and more often. I got to try my PWS Diablo Saturday using Silver Bear ammo and never had a single problem. I did wish my Lula loader would work on the C-mags. Can't find anyone willing to help there either.
Old July 13, 2011, 11:51 PM   #5
David Hineline

If you thread pitch is 1/2X28 you can use this.

This style of silencer mount effectivly becomes the blast baffle easily replacable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Primary-Weapons-...9953%26ps%3D54

If 5/8X24 then an AAC product and silencer will do the same thing.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=627
Ops inc has used blast baffle comp mounts for years.
Old July 19, 2011, 01:21 AM   #6
Zak Smith

Hi, we've had a number of inquiries for 7.62x39 that I can count with my fingers-- and only one or two for SBR 7.62x39's. For casual use, you can use the 30P-1 (or 30BA) provided the thread alignment is good. We used to do custom bore size silencers, but with the new baffle design it is too disruptive to production. Get a dozen committed orders and we'd be happy to build one or two for R&D and then run a batch.
Old July 20, 2011, 04:03 AM   #7
benfishin

SBR Suppressor

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I had to wait months for PWS to catch up with the demand from the gamers. Surely they want a suppressor also.
Old August 19, 2011, 11:27 AM   #8
ribeyejonson

benfishin, im actually working on the same setup as you... Have you gotten any further? i was told the thread pitch was a standard .308 threads of 5/8X24RH...
Old August 19, 2011, 11:33 AM   #9
rjrivero

You could contact Liberty Suppressors. They make custom units. Worth a try.
Old August 21, 2011, 06:10 PM   #10
benfishin

I have communicated with Liberty Suppressors several times. Nice friendly folks, but the economy is bad and they can't start new product research at this time. AAC didn't offer any indication that the use of the flash suppressor as a blast baffle would solve our problem.. Their 300 blackout looks interesting but doesn't solve this problem before the SHTF.
Old August 22, 2011, 08:43 AM   #11
ribeyejonson

On another forum, another fellow put a AAC 7.62SD on his a while back. I sent him a email to see if he can share his experiences. Hopefully if its positive i am going with a 7.62SD-N.
Old August 22, 2011, 10:22 PM   #12
Austin Cowart

well

Reguardless who makes the can or what the materials are used you are pretty much sand blasting your baffles every time you pull the trigger with that short of a barrel and rifle ammo. Thats just the fact of the matter.
Old October 7, 2011, 10:10 PM   #13
benfishin

I recently bought a AAC 762 SDN-6. It is billed as a multicaliber can. AAC won't warranty it on a 7" barrel but it's composition is supposed to stand up to a Diablo.
Old October 11, 2011, 07:10 AM   #14
subsonicenthusiast

If you handload you could try a very fast powder such as AA2015. That's what I used on my 11.5 barrel. 7" is reallllly short. However, that would be a great length for a subsonic barrel.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, .... That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,