The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 8, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1
shooter2440

Living in Chicago

So I am from Michigan and will be living in Chicago for a while. My question is: what gun can I use for self defense that will be legal with all the Chicago laws? I have handguns, rifles, and shotguns here in Michigan. Of course I dont see a rifle making sense for the city, but I am unclear of the handgun laws and also about a shotgun in my home in Chicago. If anyone could guide me in the right direction and help me out with some information or where to look for information I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Old August 8, 2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Sturmgewehre

Chicago has very strict firearms laws. Until last year, handguns were banned.

I work in Chicago, but left Illinois many years ago to escape their draconian gun laws.

Here's a news article you might want to read. I'm not familiar with the new laws, but I do know they are still very restrictive.

http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.c...ect-today.html
Old August 8, 2011, 05:35 PM   #3
sigcurious

When you move into Chicago, you will need to get an Illinois Firearm Owners ID, after which you will need to get a Chicago Firearms Permit(Need your FOID before you can even take the class), total time from start to finish a couple of months at the very least, and ~$250.

www.chicagopolice.org has the Chicago specific information, and instructions for getting a CFP

www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ for the FOID information.

I would suggest starting as soon as you can on the FOID, the CFP comes back pretty quickly, but the FOID takes for to come back.

Some basic rules of the road so to speak, Cook County has an AW Ban(you'll want to read up on this, even a ruger charger is a no no here because the magazine is out of the grip) and "high" capacity magazines ban, 10 rounds and most of the common "evil" gun features are banned.

If you can, try to live in the burbs but not in Cook county/Chicago, outside of those jurisdictions most of the towns don't have laws stricter than the state, which pretty much only has the requirement of getting an FOID.

OH! and stock up on ammo before you come, no ammo purchases without an FOID. and no shipping ammo into Cook County without an FFL.

Last edited by sigcurious; August 8, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old August 8, 2011, 05:44 PM   #4
sigcurious

Oh, also...if you have a way of keeping your firearms in MI until you have all the proper cards, that is probably the best option.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Sailor1911

Unbelievable. Sure glad I got the hell out of there 35 years ago!
Old August 8, 2011, 07:26 PM   #6
sigcurious

OH yeah....$15 per gun to register in Chicago, and you can only register 1 every 30 days. Not sure if that applies to people moving into Chicago or not, you may be able to register your entire collection at once as someone moving in.
Old August 8, 2011, 09:11 PM   #7
shooter2440

haha so youre saying im better off with a louisville slugger for home defense. wow i didnt know it was that bad in chicago. thanks for all the info guys.
Old August 9, 2011, 12:52 AM   #8
Davey

Not trying to sound like an A hole but...

You may want to look into moving along the borders in Wisconsin or Indiana. Indiana may be closer.

Seriously.

You are looking at about a two month wait for an IL FOID. Then you have the hoops for a Chicago permit.

No ranges in Chicago so it'll be a hassles to just go practice.

Seriously look into Wisconsin or Indiana. Lots of people commute from those states into the city.

Or move into one of the burbs. Maybe Lake County. It's just north of the city and there is no assault weapons ban BS like in Cook County, where Chicago is located.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:52 AM   #9
scud

insanity to be sure, I would leave chicago were it to be me.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Sturmgewehre

While Indiana is very pro-gun, you will need to get a pistol permit to have handguns in the state and to transport them anywhere off of your private property. You can't even take a handgun to a local range legally without having a permit. While few police actually enforce this law (unless you do something crazy and draw their attention), it's still something to be concerned with.

Once you have a pistol permit, you can pretty much do anything. Concealed carry, open carry, etc. We also have a Castle Doctrine in Indiana meaning you can legally defend your home should an intruder break in.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:22 AM   #11
carpfisher

As of Jul 1, 2011, a permit is no longer required to transport a handgun to the range etc. in Indiana. Must be unloaded, etc.
From the Indiana State Police Site:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar47/ch2.html

IC 35-47-2-0.1
Application of certain amendments to chapter
Sec. 0.1. The amendments made to sections 3, 5, 7, and 23 of this chapter by P.L.140-1994 apply to crimes committed after June 30, 1994.
As added by P.L.220-2011, SEC.618.

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
(1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
(2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
(A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
(B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
(C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
(A) unloaded;
(B) not readily accessible; and
(C) secured in a case;
(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
(A) unloaded;
(B) not readily accessible; and
(C) secured in a case; or
(5) the person carries the handgun:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
(B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
(C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.
Old August 9, 2011, 01:08 PM   #12
Rifleman1776

I left Illinois more than 40 years ago when the ID law was just being discussed. One of the wisest decisions I ever made in my life.
Old August 9, 2011, 01:32 PM   #13
JACK308

states I would not like to live in IL,CA,NY,NJ and MA ALL ANTI GUN
Old August 9, 2011, 01:39 PM   #14
C0untZer0

It took me almost 90 days to renew my FOID

Might want to read this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...highlight=foid

Last edited by C0untZer0; August 9, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old August 28, 2011, 11:54 PM   #15
jlmtuning

I used to live in the city and your better off moving to elmwood park, its the closest gun friendly suburb and its still in the urban sprawl no need for anything except the foid
Old September 5, 2011, 07:44 PM   #16
Bob1911

Used to live in Lan. Wish I still did. Cook co. and Chicago are the 2 biggest reasons.
John 3:16/Infidel
Grand Parent
Old September 6, 2011, 09:12 AM   #17
C0untZer0

Things are changing in Chicago.

I want to thank all of the people who have worked hard and volunteered time and expended effort to bring about positive changes in Chicago's oppresive and unconstitutional laws concerning the right to keep and bear arms.

Many of those people have stayed even within Chicago city limits and sacrificed quite a bit, but they've stayed in the city and continued to fight for the rights of gun owners.

I think it's important to note, that while many people live in states and municipalities that are "gun-friendly", the cities like Washington and Chicago are where the landmark constitutional cases were spawned. Those cases have shaped and are defining Second Amendment rights for the entire country.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:54 AM   #18
bitttorrrent

I hear you countzero. I live in the City and now am legal to have my handgun which is registered etd.

Now, since we are the only state left without a cc permit, we should all stop complaining about moving away (some can't since Chicago's economic breadth is larger than some entire countries) and start hammering the admin. and supporting cases that will will a cc.

It will happen, just a matter of when.
Old September 6, 2011, 06:22 PM   #19
Goidel

Do Not Forget About Cook County Ordnances[Law]

Go on the web and download the Cook [pronounced Crook] County Ordnance passed in November 2006. It restricts many carbines and rifles by name and type, size of mag's etc plus transportation.

As an earlier posted stated, you may want to leave any restricted firearms in MI.
Old September 7, 2011, 07:57 AM   #20
Skans

If you're a "gangsta" in Chicago, you can bypass all of the state and municipal red tape, buy, carry and use your stolen gun whenever and however you please. Chicago frowns upon productive citizens owning and using a gun for legitimate reasons.
Old September 12, 2011, 07:54 AM   #21
shaunpain

I will say two things. I do not have bias nor will I condone any action. It's your life. You live with the consequences.

1. From the mouth of a Chicago policeman: "No cop in the city is gonna stop you if you're walking down the street with a baseball bat". And, in fact, he's right. That's what LOTS of people who did and still do in the bad neighborhoods. Some even have their "swagger", and drag the bat behind so you hear 'em comin'.

2. If you feel a legitimate need to use a gun, even illegally, for self defense in the city, the District Attorney's office has been clear in stating that due to a court precedent (I searched and cannot find the case but it's there in internet-land somewhere) that you will not be prosecuted if it's abundantly clear that it was an otherwise legal shoot. Now, in reality, that might be BS, but they "said it".

Like I said, I don't feel either way about both points, but it's just some food for thought.
Old September 12, 2011, 08:13 AM   #22
RDak

Does the OP need all that paperwork if he just wants to keep a shotgun in his apartment or house?
Old September 12, 2011, 08:38 AM   #23
shaunpain

I think it's safe to say it's best to have all your papers with you. There is an ordinance in effect (I think it has a chance of being rendered moot within the next 2 years or so) that requires ALL GUNS kept in Chicago be registered and on file with the CPD. As far as moving guns in from another state, I'm not too sure. I've read the ordinance a thousand times and it's still Hebrew. They are fighting the FOID system for out-of-towners in court right now, but currently you will have to possess one and they will NOT ISSUE if you do not have a current valid IL driver's license.

I swear, livestock get treated with more respect out here.
Old September 13, 2011, 06:41 AM   #24
RDak

Thanks for the info and that is a shame.