The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 6, 2005, 09:23 PM   #1
KF9VH

Which for hunting and why?

I am thinking of getting a 44 mag for deer hunting and as a carry gun in the timber. What is the best a revolver or a single action hand gun?

Thanks

Mike
Old March 6, 2005, 09:41 PM   #2
capnrik

Hi Mike, and welcome to TFL. You're question is a bit confusing. There are (basically) two types of revolvers...single action and double action. A single action, like the Ruger Super Backhawk, must be cocked for each shot by drawing the hammer back (usually by the thumb).

The double action can be fired in the same manner, or it can be cocked and then fired simply by pulling the trigger.

The Smith & Wesson Model 29 is a good example of a double action .44 magnum.

Poor .44 magnums are hard to find. Most any would fit your stated needs.

de KI5HC
Old March 6, 2005, 09:45 PM   #3
KF9VH

Sorry about that I am not with the program tonight. I am asking about single verses double action.
Old March 6, 2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Sarge

For any application that might include "defense", or require a quick reload, I strongly favor the DA revolver. Those concerns aside, either will do just fine for a hunting handgun.

http://thesixgunjournal.com/handgunning_for_deer.htm
Old March 8, 2005, 11:11 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

I'd pick a carbine as a first choice for hunting with .44 mag. But if you mean handguns only, well for hunting it doesn't really matter whether single or double action, of course - just whatever suits your fancy. I have this gun in .44 mag, and consider it a hunting gun:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

I like it a lot - it's super accurate, and a joy to shoot - with .44 specials, it kicks about like a small .22 pistol. I plan on adding a carbine in this round as well, to match; probably this one:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ifles/1894.htm
Old March 8, 2005, 11:51 PM   #6
Jseime

doesnt matter to the deer

one shot ----> one kill right so it really doesnt matter which one you choose for handgun hunting.

for some extra oomph look into the .460 S&W
Old March 9, 2005, 11:25 AM   #7
artsmom

Here in Nebraska, the .44 Magnum in a rifle is illegal for deer (900 ft.lbs. at 100 yards minimum). Handguns in .44 are legal, because the minimum is 400 ft.lbs. at 50 yards. You get goofy laws like this when you try to replace common sense and hunter ethics with regulations.

My only preference is that I like the Ruger Redhawk better than the Ruger Super Redhawk. The Redhawk is more than strong enough for the .44 Magnum, and lighter and more graceful. This is just a personal opinion, some might like the Super Redhawk's bulk to help control recoil and easier to mount a scope on some models. I like my pistols to weigh considerably less than my rifles.

As far as other brands or single or double action, it would be hard to pick a bad one, or one clearly superior to the others, so this is a case where you pick out whichever one takes your fancy.