The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 24, 2018, 02:08 AM   #51
Kemikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Stars are pretty safe guns to carry. I wouldn't hesitate to carry one-as long as it has an inertial firing pin.
The design is far from obsolete- being the basis for all of the current 1911-looking .380s and mini 9mms.
OK, poor phrasing. The gun isn't obsolete, but the safety system isn't up to modern standards. Or so I thought. If I'm remembering correctly, the safety lever physically blocks the hammer, which is good, but doesn't it have a floating firing pin with no firing pin block?

If I'm wrong, then I take back what I said about carrying...
Old July 24, 2018, 12:44 PM   #52
Bill DeShivs

The Star safety physically blocks the hammer.
Most have inertial firing pins.
None have a firing pin block-nor do millions of 1911s and other guns that are still viable for carry.
Old July 25, 2018, 12:31 PM   #53
5whiskey

What Bill said. I am a fan of the FPB, but I'm not afraid to carry a 70 series 1911. Replace the firing pin spring on occasion, and don't drop it (i.e. use a good holster). If it does drop fire from lack of FPB, it would be oriented muzzle down. Not optimal, but at least better than muzzle up.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old July 28, 2018, 04:40 AM   #54
oughtsix

For a range gun I would look at a RIA 1911 in 9mm. It is really hard to beat a 1911 for a range gun.

For a carry gun or a night stand gun "I" don't feel comfortable with cocked and locked so I would probably look at a Beretta, CZ or similar.
Old July 28, 2018, 05:40 PM   #55
scoobysnacker

Quote:
Stars are pretty safe guns to carry. I wouldn't hesitate to carry one-as long as it has an inertial firing pin.
The design is far from obsolete- being the basis for all of the current 1911-looking .380s and mini 9mms.
Bill, supposing one has a Star without an inertial firing pin, but wanted one:

what option is there?
Old July 28, 2018, 10:22 PM   #56
Bill DeShivs

That person would contact me, and have me make him one.
Old July 28, 2018, 10:42 PM   #57
TruthTellers

For cheap fun, you can't beat it:

Old July 29, 2018, 01:06 AM   #58
scoobysnacker

Quote:
That person would contact me, and have me make him one.
Gotcha.

Will keep that in mind. I'm very pleased with the BM I have already, can't wait for the next one (one of the $150 specials from Classic).
Old July 29, 2018, 11:19 AM   #59
Cheapshooter

Accuracy for $$$ I have to agree with Truth Tellers. Of the eight 9mm pistols I have from various makers my Hi-Point C-9 is the most accurate. Plus it's been 100% reliable with any ammo I feed it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 29, 2018, 12:38 PM   #60
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Accuracy for $$$ I have to agree with Truth Tellers. Of the eight 9mm pistols I have from various makers my Hi-Point C-9 is the most accurate. Plus it's been 100% reliable with any ammo I feed it.
Even steel case? I've had a .45 Hi Point on the mind from time to time, but I don't want to be stuck shooting brass cuz of the price.
Old July 29, 2018, 10:05 PM   #61
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Even steel case? I've had a .45 Hi Point on the mind from time to time, but I don't want to be stuck shooting brass cuz of the price.
Yes. Haven't tried it in my JHP (the 45 acp model). But in the C-9 it runs fine.
I have read that Hi-Point recommends a couple hundred rounds of brass break in before using steal. Not sure how much brass I ran through mine before I used steel, but it wasn't 200. Maybe 50 tops.
Old July 30, 2018, 02:37 AM   #62
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Yes. Haven't tried it in my JHP (the 45 acp model). But in the C-9 it runs fine.
I have read that Hi-Point recommends a couple hundred rounds of brass break in before using steal. Not sure how much brass I ran through mine before I used steel, but it wasn't 200. Maybe 50 tops.
Alright, that's good to know. I wish Hi Point would make that C-Note finish on the .45 model, cuz then I'd buy it cuz a Hi Point covered in money is just... money.

But Idk, the 9mm Hi Point can still be fun and cheap to shoot too. It's just if I was to spend $200, I'd rather spend it on something more practical, like an EC9s.
Old July 30, 2018, 10:36 AM   #63
Winny

I love my Security 9 but I wouldn't use it as a range gun. The Aluminum chassis and thinner barrel make me think it won't last as long as the Canik.

I would spend the extra money and spring for the M&P 2.0 if you like the gun. It is a pleasure to shoot.

I also want to throw the Ruger SR9 in the ring, it is a phenomenal pistol that will take thousands of rounds with no issues in your similar price range.
Old July 30, 2018, 12:32 PM   #64
TruthTellers

^ In addition to the SR9, the Ruger 9E was the budget model of the SR9. If OP looks hard enough, he'll find them used going for around 200. Probably better made than the Security 9 and it uses the same mags the SR9 pistols do.

I think a couple years ago I had the idea of buying one of those and chopping the grip so it would take SR9c mags and be a better carry gun. Ended up getting a Glock 27 instead.
Old July 30, 2018, 02:26 PM   #65
Cheapshooter

Quote:
But Idk, the 9mm Hi Point can still be fun and cheap to shoot too. It's just if I was to spend $200, I'd rather spend it on something more practical, like an EC9s.
Yup, if ya got more to spend, get something more "mainstream acceptable" LOL. But for someone who can't afford more the Hi-Point is a viable choice for accuracy, and reliability.
Or, if you just have a few bucks to spare, and want another range blaster, Hi-Point fits the bill.
I bought my C-9 a few years back when Hi-Point hate was the in thing. Just to see if could possibly be as bad as the haters claimed. Found out quickly how wrong they were. So much so that when I found a Hi-Point JHP used for under a hundred and a half I added it to the accumulation.
Then the Iraqveteran8888 youtube videos came to light. Those torture tests that once and for all dispelled the myth of Hi-Points being weak, and poorly made. The hate has all but gone away now on most forums.
Old July 30, 2018, 05:00 PM   #66
dwhite

Be kind of cool to dress one up in Zimbabwe's trillion dollar notes. They're worth like a dime. All those zeros sure would look cool though.

All the Best,
D. White
Old July 30, 2018, 08:06 PM   #67
PushPuller

The only reason why I don't own a Hi Point is because no gun stores carry them, and it isn't worth the trouble to by one online. But iv played with a couple and aside from being hideous and awkward, they were relatively accurate and never malfunctioned.
Old July 30, 2018, 08:50 PM   #68
FITASC

Quote:
You said budget, get a Hi-Point and go shoot. Most fun you can have for $150 bucks.
Yep, and if it breaks beyond fixing, go buy another and still be $$ ahead.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 30, 2018, 09:12 PM   #69
PushPuller

Quote:
Yep, and if it breaks beyond fixing, go buy another and still be $$ ahead.

I don't know for sure, but at one point in time I think they had an excellent warranty. Iv heard of people sending in all but totally destroyed Hi Points and getting a new pistol back no questions asked. so you might even need to buy another one!
Old July 30, 2018, 11:21 PM   #70
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPuller View Post
I don't know for sure, but at one point in time I think they had an excellent warranty. Iv heard of people sending in all but totally destroyed Hi Points and getting a new pistol back no questions asked. so you might even need to buy another one!
Totally destroyed and not only do they get another pistol, they get a free mag too.
Old July 31, 2018, 07:08 AM   #71
tallball

Y'all need to be quiet about this Hi-Point thing! You're starting to tempt me!!
Old July 31, 2018, 08:52 AM   #72
pblanc

If you bring a Hi-Point to the range, everyone else will either move away from you or leave and you will have more room to shoot.