The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2019, 12:51 PM   #1
Nathan

Hornady LNL Progressive Press Conversion - Worth it

I have a Hornady LNL Progressive about an 5000. I have loaded on it for about 16 years. I have some issues with the ejector wire and the priming and now the powder measure. Nothing bad, but it is getting to be enough that I wonder how a new press would be or converting mine.

I have the stuff in a shopping cart....it is a little over $150.

Then I wonder...Has anybody else converted? Any issues? Any reason to buy new at $400?

Economics look like:
Convert:
Buy ram head- $80
Buy powder linkage- $65
Exchange shell plates- $10x5
Net - $195

Convert to new:
Sell press - $150
Buy press - $400
Exchange shell plates- $10x5
Net - $300
Old January 30, 2019, 02:00 PM   #2
FlyFish

I've had my LNL AP for about 10 years. I never was able to get the wire ejector to work properly, so when the conversion became available I made the switch and the press has operated fine ever since. I had a little trouble with priming when I first got it, but made a simple adjustment and that has operated fine since as well. Have not had any trouble with the powder measure or linkage, so can't offer anything there.
Old January 30, 2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Nathan

Thanks. I figured it would....it’s just a bolt on, right?
Old January 31, 2019, 11:37 AM   #4
FlyFish

Yes - simple. Just a couple of set screws, if I remember correctly.
Old January 31, 2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Charlie98

I've got the predecessor to the LNL... a ProJector. I've been loading on it for about 25 years. It's had it's moments... to include the ejector and primer feed... much of it from simple wear and tear. If they make a conversion kit, I'd be all over it; the Hornady is a solid press and worth the upgrade.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 31, 2019, 04:31 PM   #6
joed

Only you can say if the upgrades are worth the price.

When I bought my first Dillon in 2003 I looked at the LNL. The biggest reason I didn't go with the LNL was because the expanding and powder drop took 2 stations as opposed to Dillon using one. After buying the Dillon a few months later Hornady came out with an upgrade to allow both steps on one station. Of course at owners expense.

Then the shellplates were changed again at the owners expense. I think the LNL is a good press but in 15 years I've not had to spend any money on upgrades for my Dillon presses.
Old January 31, 2019, 09:16 PM   #7
Charlie98

Quote:
Then the shellplates were changed again at the owners expense.
They did? I'm using new shellplates for the LNL on my ProJector. They are slightly modified, but they work just as well as my old ones.

I bought the Hornady because it HAD 5 stations... allowing the use of a separate crimp die along with everything else. I don't see how you would need more than 5 stations...

Old January 31, 2019, 09:47 PM   #8
joed

I remember when I looked at the LNL it took 1 station to flair the case and the next station to drop the powder. Wasn't till after I bought the Dillon that they combined the two stations as the Dillon did. You didn't need to convert but it made sense to.

I don't remember why the shellplates were changed later on as I'm going on memory from some time ago. I think the ejector system was changed. Didn't mean you had to go out and buy the new plates but why wouldn't you stay current.
Old February 1, 2019, 11:32 AM   #9
FlyFish

Quote:
Then the shellplates were changed again at the owners expense.
The change in shellplates was a result of the change from the wire to the more positive "EZject" system that uses a small projection on the baseplate under the shellplate to eject the completed round. The older style shellplates needed to have a concentric groove machined in the bottom to clear the projection. As I recall (it was some years ago) they charged $10 per shellplate to make the alteration. New design shellplates will work fine on the old ejection system, but not the reverse.
Old February 1, 2019, 04:21 PM   #10
Nathan

Quote:
I've not had to spend any money on upgrades for my Dillon presses.
You understand why, right? Dillon innovates by designing a new press that you have to buy the whole new thing.

Correct me if i’m Wrong, but Dillon design went 550, 1050, 650, 450, square deal, didn’t it? Dillon makes a fine product, but to beat the Hornady, they made the 650. It is fine, but way more expensive in initial cost and in caliber change cost.

That said, Hornady had some minor weaknesses that were fundamental to the press and cause this major overhaul kit to be available. I’m pretty happy I can convert for $150ish......depending on the results.
Old February 16, 2019, 01:45 PM   #11
Nathan

Well, the conversion is complete for the press head and priming system. I loaded up 25 38 spcl test loads. There was some learning curve, i admit. The primers were harder to get in the tube, but i should be able to improve my speed Feeding the primer tube on the press is more risky in terms of spilling primers, but primer seating is soooo much smoother and more positive.

Case ejection from the press is also much smoother. This is the real benefit and it is good. Can’t wait to load more! Glad I could upgrade in stead of buying all new...
Old February 16, 2019, 09:46 PM   #12
drain smith

Well, Nathan good buy. I was going to chime in but FlyFish had everything covered.

Now, The bad news you are not going to believe how much that measly $150.00 is going to cost you. It won't be long until you realize that you are "just" going to need a case feeder, then a bullet feeder, then you might as well get the Deluxe control panel. Then you will realize that that rifle bullet feeder is a must have.
Old February 17, 2019, 07:31 AM   #13
Nathan

^^^I know. Don’t tempt me!
Old February 19, 2019, 10:44 AM   #14
Charlie98

Simplicity is it's own reward sometimes!

I'm still rocking my ProJector after over 25 years... unmolested and un-hunked up with junk like a mall ninja's AR.

Glad the conversion kit is working well!