The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 1, 2016, 11:48 PM   #26
Dreaming100Straight

Tom Servo, I think you are close with the Pres being able to claim that he did something about guns, but it is more than that. Pretty much the sides are drawn as to who will support the Dems and the Repubs come the elections, but something like this will rally the Democratic base and get out the vote. I don't know that opposition to the antis will do that much to get out the Republican base.
Old January 2, 2016, 08:39 AM   #27
BarryLee

I saw a debate about this issue on CNN a day or so ago and one of the commentators made an interesting comment. Basically due to changes in demographics and the way some groups see firearm ownership along with issues related to the Electoral College certain political parties no longer see pushing gun control as a negative. Apparently certain parties have made the calculation and feel that aggressively pushing gun control will actually help them win the White House.

This is something that we should all be very aware of and push our leaders and representatives to find ways to reach out to and educate all voters. While the NRA tends to support one political party because that party supports our position we need to remember some people will never vote for that party. So, can we find ways to educate all Americans and ultimately generate more support for the Second Amendment?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 2, 2016, 03:09 PM   #28
pnac

The time between election and swearing in ought to be interesting, considering what's already happened and what is speculated to happen. Busy,busy.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old January 2, 2016, 09:57 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Apparently certain parties have made the calculation and feel that aggressively pushing gun control will actually help them win the White House.
There are 5 really important swing states and two minor swing states. Florida and Ohio are two of the big election deciders. All of them seem to be areas that are either pro-gun or at least middle of the road. Ohio is by some measures the most important. Ohio has the longest swing state track record of going with the candidate elected(since 1960, or 13 elections). The gun issue gets votes here. Big votes. Not enough to push Sherrod Brown out the door, but enough to change a close election.
Old January 2, 2016, 11:29 PM   #30
barnbwt

Quote:
They will act... and then let the courts straighten it out after years of litigation & appeals.
Meanwhile,the damage has been done.
..."contempt of court," anyone?

TCB
Old January 3, 2016, 01:25 AM   #31
62coltnavy

I think what must be understood is that there are a list of possible characteristics, no one being controlling, but some being given more weight than others, for example engaging in a regular business activity with the end of generating of profits. What I think will happen that the EO will set a "bright line" limit on the number of firearms transactions (other than estate sales).

For some states, including California, Washington and Oregon, the new EO will make no difference since these states have universal background checks. And in response to an earlier post, not all sellers are FFLs at gun shows; instead, one or more FFLs will set up a table at a show to perform all the background checks and to take possession of firearms during the mandatory ten day wait. In essence, it is treated as a face to face transaction performed at the FFL (for which the FFL charges whatever fee traffic will bear, at a minimum $75).
Old January 3, 2016, 06:56 PM   #32
BarryLee

CNN will be hosting an Obama Town Hall to promote the rollout of his latest gun control measures. The event will be Thursday at 8:00pm and will be hosted by Anderson Cooper. Obviously CNN will go out of their way to support these efforts and make Obama look good. The only real question is will they make any effort at all to present a balanced look at the issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/03/politi...uns-town-hall/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 3, 2016, 08:38 PM   #33
kilimanjaro

Yes, holding this 'town hall' at a liberal university in front of a cherry-picked audience of college students and 'concerned citizens' is really taking the message to the American people.

It's theater, folks, scripted and cued. No way this president would get up in front of a group of ordinary citizens and deliver his spiel.

Cue the disgusted NRA member who doesn't think anyone should hunt deer with an AK47 in....one, two, three...

Follow that up with the teary emotional plea about gun violence in Chicago, then a demand for common-sense gun laws like confiscation, bans, etc.,

Then follow that with the president saying, 'Well, we can't do that, we have a 2nd Amendment, you know, but we can do what I'm going to do', just as soon as we get enough camera footage we can play over and over this week.
Old January 3, 2016, 08:42 PM   #34
johnwilliamson062

I wonder how this bit in Nevada will progress before Thursday's theatrics.
Old January 3, 2016, 10:59 PM   #35
kilimanjaro

Pretty poor timing on the Oregon boy's part, wasn't it? They knew about this gun push, too, the whole country did.

About as smart as carrying your AR15 in Walmart.
Old January 4, 2016, 08:55 AM   #36
MrWesson

My take on all this.

I'm still not concrete on what's being proposed yet but if it is the 50 gun sales a year makes you an FFL I don't really see that being such a bad thing.

It defines a number @ 50 vs the ATF discretion as of now.

It may actually help keep some guns out of the hands of criminals.. Touchy subject but the same freedom that allows me to sell my rifle to my neighbor the same as a toaster puts guns into the hands of criminals.

How many? IMO some but i'd bet most are stolen. Do the guys selling 50+ guns a year without doing background checks inadvertantly increase odds of selling to a criminal? I think so.

I understand this may hurt that one guy you always see at the gun show but I do honestly think that guy is skirting restrictions already in place anyway.

I think i've noticed a general turnaround from blame the gun to blame the person. People still don't see through the media BS and think they live in some post apocalyptic wasteland even though shootings are down.

I know many people who most would consider liberal who have bought a gun just for the sake of "can't beat them join them". In the last year i've known about 10 people to do this.

Either way there's just too much pressure from society to "do something" even though most don't know what that is. If this is IT then i'd chalk that up to a win(the chip away at a right argument is very valid).

I'll take it further and i'd personally like to see some give/take gun control.

Give
Open up the NCIS background check system to the public($5 charge/fully funded and staffed)
All gun sales require a background check even FTF sales. Streamlined of course.

Damn I can feel the glaring laser beam eyes from you guys through the internet for saying that .

Liberals get what they want, closing the "gun show loophole" and I legitimately think it would make a difference in everyday crime(IE not mass shootings). Someone that hell bent on indiscriminately killing will find a way PERIOD.

Now the take part...
Remove the tax stamp on suppressors and fund the program for reasonable wait times(under 3 months).
Keep the background check and maybe even purchase in store through the NCIS system.

Made it arguably more difficult for a bad guy to get a gun and good guys who can already legally shoot on their property can do so without annoying anyone.

I just don't see why someone at the NRA couldn't present this give take type of "negotiation" to gun control. I'm against gun control totally but we live in a reality where its been in place for a very long time and not going anywhere...

I know anyone who bothers to read this will probably disagree and flame me to oblivion and maybe I deserve it.. Its just one a-holes honest opinion in 300+ million.
Old January 4, 2016, 09:28 AM   #37
BarryLee

I understand the desire to seem cooperative and look for some real answers. I could probably support a mandatory background check on all transactions at a gun show thus closing the infamous Gun Show Loophole.

However, not sure how we could ever enforce a mandatory background check on face-2-face sells without a national registry. Also, since every study I’ve seen shows that bad guys get their guns from acquaintances or theft not sure it would reduce crime.

As for opening up access to the background check system to everyone I can understand the allure of that. However, what are the privacy issues involved? Would everyone start checking up on their neighbors? Does it matter? I will admit it concerns me to some extent.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 4, 2016, 10:10 AM   #38
MrWesson

Does the NCIS check give you info or just yes/no?

The scenario I must made up in my head would use dl number which I thought to be private but setting up a member id/pin shouldn't be difficult. You'd have to have that info to start.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that someone who is disqualified from firearm ownership wouldn't be well aware of local gun sale websites or gun shows being a great source to buy a gun off the books.

I do know that a background check for ftf sales wouldn't affect me much and most people are asking to see a ccw permit anyway which in a way steps on what's being fought against.

Data is data though.

Good point.

When faced with millions demanding something be done you can bet something regardless of effect will be done. I'm just saying at least its this not that.

The other background check stuff was just conjecture about crime.
Old January 4, 2016, 10:39 AM   #39
chimo

Hmm...if I sell stuff at a yard sale once a month, am I "in the business" of selling clothing, tools, lawn equipment, firearms, furniture, toys, books, tapes, etc.? I think not...but then again it would not surprise me to see governments at all levels jump at the chance to get a cut of private yard sales and flea markets.

I'll be interested to see how he is going to approach this. If he puts a number...say 50 guns a year...as defining "in the business", how are they going to prove it? Are they going to monitor the sales of each and every private individual and collector at gun shows, flea markets and yard sales? I can see it now...even more BATF creeps slithering around the gun shows, recording each and every sale they can from the private sellers...making a list, checking it twice, giving the perp walk to those who are naughty and not nice.

Imagine the uproar if we started requiring background checks on the sales of cars, legal drugs, chain saws, knives, etc....and started requiring licenses to sell them. Imagine the uproar if we required background checks to register to vote.

Last edited by chimo; January 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old January 4, 2016, 11:20 AM   #40
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo
I'll be interested to see how he is going to approach this. If he puts a number...say 50 guns a year...as defining "in the business", how are they going to prove it? Are they going to monitor the sales of each and every private individual and collector at gun shows, flea markets and yard sales?
How else would they close the "garage sale loophole"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wesson
I'll take it further and i'd personally like to see some give/take gun control.
In practice, this will be you giving up pieces of your rights while those who don't care for the right set up to take more of the right.

Quote:
I find it incredibly hard to believe that someone who is disqualified from firearm ownership wouldn't be well aware of local gun sale websites or gun shows being a great source to buy a gun off the books.
What "local gun sale website" facilitates non-ffl transfers?

Do we assume that a disqualified person hasn't any friends with a firearm?

Quote:
I do know that a background check for ftf sales wouldn't affect me much and most people are asking to see a ccw permit anyway which in a way steps on what's being fought against.
If this hasn't much of an effect on you, why would you reasonably expect it to have much of an effect on anyone else? If most private sellers are requiring a ccw permit (this seems a very odd thing to request), and a disqualified person would not have a ccw, then an NCIS check is redundant, and adds expense and inconvenience.

Quote:
Give
Open up the NCIS background check system to the public($5 charge/fully funded and staffed)
All gun sales require a background check even FTF sales. Streamlined of course.
So, to purchase a firearm, an integral part of exercising a fundamental constitutional right, a person needs to sign up for an electronic ID number, needs to possess the means to instantly transfer $5 to a government account, and undergo a background check with his personal information communicated to the seller?

Does that seem streamlined to you?
Old January 4, 2016, 11:31 AM   #41
kilimanjaro

Simpler to just require the NICS check at all gun shows, there are plenty of FFL tables there, one or two of them can take on the duty. The seller and buyer can exchange a receipt and write the NICS approval number on it, there is all the evidence of the check having been made anyone needs.

For non-gun show private sales, I don't see any way to require a NICS check without being present at an FFL location, unless you can call up an FFL, get the check performed, and pay for the service over the phone.
Old January 4, 2016, 11:33 AM   #42
Glenn E. Meyer

A warning, I have deleted and edited some posts and prose that were inappropriate. If you were affected, common sense says why.

If we go that route again, action will be more severe.
Old January 4, 2016, 11:57 AM   #43
scpapa

assuming the number is 50 a year that makes you a dealer, and you seil 35 a year, the ATF might not bother you, but the IRS might.
But, as another poster said, how is the ATF going to know how many you sell, since you won't have (need) a license.

Rick
Member IALEFI, SCLEOA
Old January 4, 2016, 12:36 PM   #44
doofus47

BarryLee
Quote:
However, not sure how we could ever enforce a mandatory background check on face-2-face sells without a national registry
first, we'll close the gun show loophole, then we'll close the face to face loophole, THEN comes registration b/c criminals and suddenly-crazy people will still have guns.

Not arguing or critiquing. Just predicting.
Old January 4, 2016, 06:21 PM   #45
Wyoredman

The thing that really bothers me about this whole mess: Why do I need the Government's permission to sell my private property to another private person?
Old January 4, 2016, 06:39 PM   #46
mehavey

According to CNN 5 minutes ago,

"...it doesn't matter if it's 1 gun or 50.
If you're in the business.... can't hide
behind being a collector..."
etc., etc.

This will be an absolute mess, folks. No one's going to really
know, but everyone will be running scared.

Meanwhile... Hillary notes "...warned any executive action was likely to fall
short the comprehensive reform favored by most in her party.

"We've got to act," she said, "but I don't think that's enough and I think
we're going to have to keep pushing forward on the political front and
I intend to do that, to take on the gun lobby and to work with responsible
gun owners."

Oh yes... responsible gun owners.

Buzzwords that increasingly trigger the cringe reflex:
- "Responsible"
- "Common Sense"
- "Reform"

Last edited by mehavey; January 4, 2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old January 4, 2016, 06:50 PM   #47
kilimanjaro

There we have it, 'comprehensive reform' has come to gun control, just like immigration. Mendacious buzzwords that really mean, 'repeal'.
Old January 4, 2016, 09:48 PM   #48
natman

So now this administration is requiring FFLs, while the previous administration from the same party did every thing they could to reduce the number of FFLs by making them as difficult as possible to get.
Old January 4, 2016, 10:06 PM   #49
TXAZ

Here's the text just posted on whitehouse website.
Other than Lynch writing some letters, there's nothing new other than potentially reclassifying whose a dealer and tighten that up some.

Keep guns out of the wrong hands through background checks
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is making clear that it doesn’t matter where you conduct your business—from a store, at gun shows, or over the Internet: If you’re in the business of selling firearms, you must get a license and conduct background checks.
ATF is finalizing a rule to require background checks for people trying to buy some of the most dangerous weapons and other items through a trust, corporation, or other legal entity.
Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch has sent a letter to States highlighting the importance of receiving complete criminal history records and criminal dispositions, information on persons disqualified because of a mental illness, and qualifying crimes of domestic violence.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is overhauling the background check system to make it more effective and efficient. The envisioned improvements include processing background checks 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and improving notification of local authorities when certain prohibited persons unlawfully attempt to buy a gun. The FBI will hire more than 230 additional examiners and other staff to help process these background checks.
Make our communities safer from gun violence
The Attorney General convened a call with U.S. Attorneys around the country to direct federal prosecutors to continue to focus on smart and effective enforcement of our gun laws.
The President’s FY2017 budget will include funding for 200 new ATF agents and investigators to help enforce our gun laws.
ATF has established an Internet Investigation Center to track illegal online firearms trafficking and is dedicating $4 million and additional personnel to enhance the National Integrated Ballistics Information Network.
ATF is finalizing a rule to ensure that dealers who ship firearms notify law enforcement if their guns are lost or stolen in transit.
The Attorney General issued a memo encouraging every U.S. Attorney’s Office to renew domestic violence outreach efforts.
Increase mental health treatment and reporting to the background check system
The Administration is proposing a new $500 million investment to increase access to mental health care.
The Social Security Administration has indicated that it will begin the rulemaking process to include information in the background check system about beneficiaries who are prohibited from possessing a firearm for mental health reasons.
The Department of Health and Human Services is finalizing a rule to remove unnecessary legal barriers preventing States from reporting relevant information about people prohibited from possessing a gun for specific mental health reasons.
Shape the future of gun safety technology
The President has directed the Departments of Defense, Justice, and Homeland Security to conduct or sponsor research into gun safety technology
The President has also directed the departments to review the availability of smart gun technology on a regular basis, and to explore potential ways to further its use and development to more broadly improve gun safety.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 4, 2016, 10:51 PM   #50
scrubcedar

This appears to be the actual text the white house seems to be using.

This seems to be the actual document. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016...-gun-violence/