The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 27, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1
outdoorman63

Everyones favorite knife

Was wondering what everyones favorite knife is ?
Fixed and folding.
And are you so favored to the ones you have that you dont try out new one when they come out?

As for me-
Folding i carry a Benchmade Stryker
Fixed i use an old Kbar military
Old September 27, 2004, 12:47 PM   #2
lee n. field

Fixed -- Ontario Knife Co. 7" butcher knife (http://www.ontarioknife.com/oldhickory.html). Very, very useful.

Folding -- got no real favorites.

Last edited by lee n. field; September 27, 2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old September 27, 2004, 01:14 PM   #3
Tangle

I've got a number of Benchmade and Cold Steel knives, they are high quality. But, my two favorites and the ones I carry are the Spyderco Native and my latest, a Buck 882 Police Utility Knife.
Old September 27, 2004, 02:45 PM   #4
Any .45

Folding I carry a S&W Extreme Ops all black.

Fixed I carry a S&W H.R.T Tactical boot knife.

Trust their guns with my life why not their knives. their inexpensive and pretty good quality.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old September 28, 2004, 10:38 PM   #5
jonesy

For me, the only knife I carry is a Leatherman basic utility folding knife. It's got a good edge on the blade, and I've used the pliers and wire cutters numerous times as well as the screw drivers. A darn site better than the swiss army knife and more compact.
Old September 29, 2004, 04:55 AM   #6
AK103K

Folders- Spyderco "Tim Wegner" collaboration and a German "Falshirmjaeger" gravity knife.

Fixed- Gerber MKII and a Blackjack Model#1-7
Old September 29, 2004, 05:52 AM   #7
Quickdraw Limpsalot

I've had (and still have) much sharper, better looking knives... but my favorite pocketknife is still a cheap little stainless Parker of some sort that my brother gave me. It's a short, fat-bladed little buggar with a VERY slim profile and it's stainless all over (no extra material on body.) It's my favorite because I can throw it in any pair of pants and forget it's there.
Old September 29, 2004, 06:32 AM   #8
RKBAadvocate

Fixed- I really like those Cold Steel tantos.....I wish I had one.

Folding- CRKT M16
Old October 1, 2004, 03:24 PM   #9

For carry
Fixed --- I have several different Gerber's

Folding -- I have two MOD's and three Benchmade's

For hunting and fishing there are quite a few I use depending on what I need.
Old October 1, 2004, 10:45 PM   #10
Alaskanmonte

Fixed- I have two differant Gerbers (love them)

Folding- A Gerber

I guess I just go with what works well for me
Old October 1, 2004, 10:46 PM   #11
ACP230

I carry a small Browning knife with a three-inch locking blade and a smaller blade with no lock. It fits in my pocket easily, even with all my keys in there with it.

For hunting and for those occasions when I can't carry a gun, I have a Buck folding hunter. I sharpen it up every fall before deer season and again afterward if I cut up a deer with it.

I have some fixed blade knives around but don't use them much. A Kershaw "Bear Hunter" has seen some use.
Old October 1, 2004, 11:05 PM   #12
spalit

A CRKT Ryan Model 7 is my number 1 knife. Great feel, balance, solid construction. I like the finger choil, and the large blade. I've been carrying mine for over 2 years now.
Old October 2, 2004, 12:38 AM   #13
mikikanazawa

Folding: CRKT M16-14 "Big Dog." I've owned a whooooole bunch of lockbacks in my time, and the CRKT is my favorite by a very large margin. I bought it for $85, at first not sure if a knife with four-inch blade and nine-inch OAL was a wise choice for a daily carry. But it's very slim and has a stout pocket clip and packs very easily--even easier than my last daily carry, a Gerber LST with pocket clip. The M16 is truely a one-handed knife that's practical; you can open it very easily (a little too easily - explained below) and close without having to flip it around in your hand. The big blade makes cuts easy, and I guess it could be used as a backup to the 1911.

On the easy opening - I once moved to stick it in my waistband and bumped the opening stud. The point of the blade came out just enough to jab me in the thumb. A small cut, but you bet your ass now I'm very aware of what part of the knife I'm touching when I pocket it.

Fixed: I can't for the life of me remember the model of Gerber fixed blade I have and enjoy. It's not as big as the other fixed blades I own; I seem to like the larger folders and smaller fixed-blades. It's similar to the Gerber Gator except an older version that came with two Zytel sheaths; one for regular belt carry and the other for vertical, horizontal or chain-around-the-neck carry. Either sheath puts the belt at about the midpoint of the knife; most other fixed-blades I have put the belt at the top of the sheath, so you have almost the entire length of the knife banging against your leg. For urban carry, the Gerber is tops. Relatively short OAL, but thick-spined and scary sharp.
Old October 2, 2004, 03:50 AM   #14
Geoff Timm

Victorinox Golfer. It's ridden in my pocket since I got out of the Army in 1982. It's a little beat up, but it does the job.

Geoff
Who has a Cyber 41 in the work bag.
Old October 2, 2004, 03:40 PM   #15
Dave Markowitz

Folders:
EDC: Benchmade 550 Griptilian w/plain edge, which replaced my Spyderco Delica w/plain edge.

Special use: Victorinox Swiss Army Cybertool 41. This is basically the Swisschamp modified to be especially useful for working on computers. It's a very usable pocket toolkit.

Belt knife: Becker Combat/Utility 7.
Old October 2, 2004, 11:03 PM   #16
strider72

Folding...Kershaw Vapor ,Victorinox Tinker, and a Leatherman or Gerber multitool. Carry all of them everyday. Fixed??? Glock, Air Force Survival, etc. Like all the combat fixed blades.
Old October 3, 2004, 09:06 AM   #17
moonstone

I met custom knife maker Ed VanHoy at a gun show yesterday and picked up a CRKT produced Van Hoy Snap Lock for $40. Coolest thing I ever saw this side of pocket guns! He had handmade versions for something like $700 . They flip open from the front and look like a piece of sculpture! I'm still working to get the hang of opening it. Follow the link to the bottom of page.

http://www.stamascus-knife-works.com
Old October 3, 2004, 09:15 PM   #18
pbass

Big black unserrated AFCK. No fixed blade, but if I hit the lottery I'll get a Fisk.
Old October 4, 2004, 12:37 AM   #19
mgdavis

Gerber folder all the time.

Fixed: Cold Steel Kobun and/or a Gerber Urban Defender(?).

The Gerbers are made of good steel, and the fixed blade is compact enough to conceal a few different ways on my rather scrawny frame. The Cold Steel pretty much stays at my boot when I wear it.

My next knife will be a crkt M16-13LE to replace the Gerber folder.
Old October 4, 2004, 03:25 AM   #20
Antikristuseke

My favorite knives are my balisong (butterfly knife) and my finnish hunting/utility knife
Old October 4, 2004, 10:33 AM   #21
saands

I used to go through about a folder every 2 months ... then about 5 years ago, I plunked the change down for a Chris Reeve small Sebenza ... http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza.htm ... every once in a while I'll glance at a new design, but I've stayed faithful

Fixed ... I roll my own from ATS-34 bar stock ... here is my current favorite:
Old October 11, 2004, 08:57 AM   #22
Vic303

Folder for EDC is the CRKT M16-00KE.

Fixed, most useful has been a little Kabar skinner with guthook.
Fixed nicest but not used yet is my present from my husband...see attached pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM002857a.JPG (38.0 KB, 182 views)
Old October 11, 2004, 10:44 AM   #23
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Got a blue zillion folders, but seem to carry the same ol' Sebenza and Emerson Commander every day. My favorite fixed blade for campsite chores is my McCann Puffin Magnum. I love that knife.
Old October 11, 2004, 02:23 PM   #24
czmatt

A gerber folding knife, my bro handed down to me. 2 weeks later he wanted it back. NOOOO WAY, its mine.

ive been pretty happy with gerber, I think ill stick with em.

"I think, therefore, I carry"
Old October 13, 2004, 10:57 AM   #25
W Turner

Current daily carry is a CRKT KISS with the paritally serrated Wharncliffe blade. Small, discrete and it handles all of the cutting chores I routinely encounter. Used to carry a CRKT M16-03 carbon fiber, but I screwed around and left it laying in a pile of papers and my wife threw it out by mistake. I paid $30 for an $80 knife and it got thrown out!!!!!!

When I feel like carrying something different it's either a CRKT Mirage with the clip removed or a Cold Steel Voyager XL with a fully serrated Tanto blade. The Cold Steel is 12" long when open, but it fits my hand great and is surprisingly easy to carry. It is also the only knife I own that has drawn blood, one was a small cut on my finger, the other was a 1" cut under my eye that required 12 stitches (the last one was on the top of my bottom eyelid). It was a b'day gift from my wife....lol.

W