The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 21, 2018, 07:29 AM   #51
CDW4ME

Thread now includes the two primary criteria for selecting a pistol to defend your life with:
Quote:
wouldn't want to be shot with it
Quote:
better than nothing
Who cares about 12-18'' penetration & consistent expansion

OP posted carrying 9mm Glock 43 on the 17th - decent minimum.
Old October 23, 2018, 09:38 AM   #52
USNRet93

Ah, the much maligned .380. I'm a big fan of John Browning's invention over 100 years ago. Arthritis in wrist plus a poorly repaired dislocated RH thumb(thanks USN docs) has been an issue. Ruger LC9, Glock 43, LCP..all hurt to shoot..and we know, you don't like to shoot it, you don't get good at it.

Found nirvana with my Glock 42..tried the Sig P238 but disliked the square grip and not a fan of '1911' format/hammer. Love the G42...easy to conceal, great to shoot. PLUS modern .380 ammo, like Lehigh/Underwood/Blackhills'Xreme Defender(yup, it's expensive) has some of tested effectiveness on par with 'some' 9mm JHP, particularly from a short barrel(read, poor expansion)..

I also have a LCP..hate to shoot it buy carry it when riding a bike..after going toe to toe with a deplorable in a truck with a tire iron.

Like .380 SO much(as mentioned, OK for many police agencies, south/central american CCW, James Bond), been looking for that unicorn, Glock 25..essentially a G19 chambered for .380. I know the USA restrictions, but found a retailer in South Africa that'll sell me one(Rand8500, about $590) but how to import is the issue..any ideas? I also know it's blowback so recoils 'about' like a G19(which I own also).

Long first post but have stepped away from a few other gun forums..W/o getting into it, I like that this one is limited to 'gun related' posts and no BS politics..that wears me out.
Old October 23, 2018, 06:36 PM   #53
M88

If I live long enough, I think 20 years from now the "is 380 a defensive carry caliber" debate will still be raging, in spite of all the God knows what kinds of ammo will be available in 380 in 20 years, IF ANY! That said, WHEN I carry (I live surrounded by communist states where I'd be an immediate felon soon as I crossed the border, as I sometimes have to) but when I do carry it's my very concealable LCP sometimes, and my Sig P938 (9mm) other times. I don't really feel all THAT less protected with my LCP than the 9mm. I figure at the close range I would actually be using the gun (parking lot? church? car jacking?), ease of shooting and handling the gun is at least AS important, and my LCP with defense ammo would work fine.